DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jul 19, 2023 at 4:54 AM Post #901 of 1,182
Remd, because of your and some other optimistic comments about v3.7 , I have to continue wait for the burn in ... I most likely will test the sound again this weekend. It shall reach 120hrs by then.

It should be a litle bit better but the final stage provided me the biggest change and quality gap ( I hope you'll get the same and that it will make you happy like it did for me after a long wait ! )

Jul 19, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #902 of 1,182
Totally off-topic (please don't feel offended that I misuse ths thread here):
Any Denafrips DAC owner in this thread who also happen to have / have had the Rockna Wavelight R2R DAC?
If yes, how is this DAC in comparison?
I do know that there's a neighbour thread about the Rockna, but all comparisons drawn over there with Denafrips DACs refer to the original Denafrips DAC firmware before the 2023 updates.

Jul 19, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #904 of 1,182
What is the "digital signature"?
Windows 10/11 has a signature driver policy. If a downloaded driver does not fit in Windows cache of Trusted drivers you cannot install it unless you restart in advance options mode and press 7 to turn off the requirement. You will then be able to follow Denafrips installation procedure.

Jul 19, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #905 of 1,182
Windows 10/11 has a signature driver policy. If a downloaded driver does not fit in Windows cache of Trusted drivers you cannot install it unless you restart in advance options mode and press 7 to turn off the requirement. You will then be able to follow Denafrips installation procedure.
Ahh, I'm on a Mac. Thanks anyways!

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:05 AM Post #906 of 1,182
Jul 20, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #907 of 1,182
Totally off-topic (please don't feel offended that I misuse ths thread here):
Any Denafrips DAC owner in this thread who also happen to have / have had the Rockna Wavelight R2R DAC?
If yes, how is this DAC in comparison?
I do know that there's a neighbour thread about the Rockna, but all comparisons drawn over there with Denafrips DACs refer to the original Denafrips DAC firmware before the 2023 updates.
I used Rockna WaveDream Net server in combination with the Rockna WaveDream dac for a few years in a Magnapan speaker system though very pleasing to the ear Rockna is expensive . The Net server streamer is not worth the price especially compared to a well designed DIY recipe from AudioPhileStyle at 1/2 the price or less . Many of us have experienced lower priced dacs of today some with surprising performance . One stand out for me anyway is the Denafrips Venus II - 12 I recently purchased . My memory of how much I enjoyed the Rockna pair I enjoy the combination Denafrips with my home brew server even more .

My apologies for off topic subject.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #909 of 1,182
tplus (3.7) around 120hrs by now. On the pre & amp, a bit sound difference, not a huge jump yet. Got try os sharp slow filter setting. Still prefer nos. Anyhow, will wait till Sunday for critical listening. By then should reach 160hrs. Then will revert back v1.0 to compare.

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #910 of 1,182
tplus (3.7) around 120hrs by now. On the pre & amp, a bit sound difference, not a huge jump yet. Got try os sharp slow filter setting. Still prefer nos. Anyhow, will wait till Sunday for critical listening. By then should reach 160hrs. Then will revert back v1.0 to compare.
Alvin from Denafrips called NOS chunkier and good for vocals and jazz and said Slow filtering was his recommendation for the over all majority .

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #912 of 1,182

I would wait until the big change occures before reverting back to compare ( You are nor far from the big change to hear if i'm right and if it will do like it did on my DAC )
Before fallback, try DAC power off for a full days and then power on and hear if some changes occured ! then fallback and compare

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:06 AM Post #913 of 1,182
Out of curiosity:
Is there a known sonic difference between 6F and 22F versions of the same DAC model?
With Pontus (II) both FPGA versions have been in use, the firmware updates being different sizes. Thus the questions - is the bigger 1 MB file for the 22F version filled up with zeroes and no additional logic, or does it make use of the additional computing capacity the 22F version has over the 6F version?
Bildschirmfoto 2023-07-22 um 10.03.20.png

Jul 22, 2023 at 5:33 AM Post #914 of 1,182
Out of curiosity:
Is there a known sonic difference between 6F and 22F versions of the same DAC model?
With Pontus (II) both FPGA versions have been in use, the firmware updates being different sizes. Thus the questions - is the bigger 1 MB file for the 22F version filled up with zeroes and no additional logic, or does it make use of the additional computing capacity the 22F version has over the 6F version?
Thoughts from looking at past bulletin boards,

People using 22F prefer "1.0", people using 6F prefer "1.4"felt like.
This is my personal opinion, so some people may disagree.

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #915 of 1,182
Out of curiosity:

Good question !
( I hope that no to have all product with the same name the same sound but the big size difference is surprising or do they need more code to detect and select correct PCM/DSD detection and settings in the DAC which may take more code of course and could explain why some have I2S issue or PCM to DSD issue etc.... - Update: having a PCM to DSD detection issue with a bypass, I just did a test connecting my streamer trough cox to the DAC results in no DSD tected, no sound on dsd and bypass didn't work. I'm back to I2S which works with the bypass I have (power off/on the dac with streamer on the DSD track))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back