DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jul 17, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #871 of 1,166
Oh ya this is my 2nd round updated to V3.7. If I added first round 24hrs in early June, it shall reach 45hrs by now.
Well, it still far from 200hrs as others claimed.
Now off my hifi. Tomorrow continue again.
You could also let the DAC play some audio on "repeat all" without the amp on --> if the audio signal is used or not doesn't matter for the burn in effect.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #872 of 1,166
I let my T2 & Innuos streamer run 24x7 for over 250 hours.
I only use my speakers when I need to listen as normal, the rest of the time I leave it on Roon Radio or run a set of Quboz (via Roon) playlists.
It definitely has a changed & now more detailed sound over this period.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #873 of 1,166
My T+ continues to improve with time. It was subtly getting better till yesterday evening. Spent most of the morning listening to classic rock and left for the better part of the afternoon to run errands. DAC and Amp running the whole time.

Sat back down and noticed a darker background, larger soundstage and just a bit more detail. Back in Black is an album I know like the back of my hand, but last night it sounded fresh. Kudos to Denafrips for releasing their best firmware to date.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #874 of 1,166
You could also let the DAC play some audio on "repeat all" without the amp on --> if the audio signal is used or not doesn't matter for the burn in effect.
I did off my pre and amp most time. My burn in only DDC & DAC with pc usb using hysolid app. No need logon windows.
It can continue run hours ... I off DAC at night as I do not want it continue run overnight. I know it should not have issue 24/7, I just no rush for burn in.

Jul 17, 2023 at 5:45 PM Post #875 of 1,166
This pretty much echoes my experience of v1.0 versus v1.4 on my Pontus 12th. The latter can sound spectacular, and it's the one I'm currently listening to.

I would add, however, that there is one downside I can't ignore that v1.4 brings to the table. Female vocals tend to have a hardness to them, and perhaps a slight haze. That I've found myself listening to mostly female vocal music recently makes this a critical consideration.
As to the vocals, the new firmware in my system gives more details and "perceived" clarity. It is like putting the listener in a close distance to the lips of that singer. Whereas, the original firmware puts the listener some distance away from the singer. Personally I do not find the added details making the listening experience more enjoyable. On the contrary I prefer the vocals of the original firmware as they sound more natural.

More clarity and resolution appear to be the focus of Denafrip's new house sound. This type of sound could very well be driven by the current market trend. However, I'm not convinced if it is for me.

Jul 17, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #876 of 1,166
As to the vocals, the new firmware in my system gives more details and "perceived" clarity. It is like putting the listener in a close distance to the lips of that singer. Whereas, the original firmware puts the listener some distance away from the singer. Personally I do not find the added details making the listening experience more enjoyable. On the contrary I prefer the vocals of the original firmware as they sound more natural.

More clarity and resolution appear to be the focus of Denafrip's new house sound. This type of sound could very well be driven by the current market trend. However, I'm not convinced if it is for me.

Jul 17, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #878 of 1,166

Denafrips has the right to change the voicing of their equipment and be more competitive in the market, if this is their marketing strategy. But, by changing the most important mid-range sound quality, they offer to their existing customers a new piece of equipment that some of us would have never bought in the first place. In this huge thread, no-one has mentioned that the newer firmwares offered this year, have a warmer - more forgiving - more relaxing - plug-in and forget sound. It is clear that the new direction of Denafrips is to offer higher resolution, more analytical sound and precise soundstage. This new direction is very welcomed by many but not from all. Some of us prefer the “original Denafrips sound” and find refuge to the 1.0 version.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #879 of 1,166
....In this huge thread, no-one has mentioned that the newer firmwares offered this year, have a warmer - more forgiving - more relaxing - plug-in and forget sound...
Ha!
This is exactly it, I think you nailed it!
I played "old firmware" / "new firmware" several times now just to always come back to the original one.
This relaxing forgiving-ness is what makes the new firmware boring indeed. Sound is high quality, but boring.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:43 AM Post #880 of 1,166
Ha!
This is exactly it, I think you nailed it!
I played "old firmware" / "new firmware" several times now just to always come back to the original one.
This relaxing forgiving-ness is what makes the new firmware boring indeed. Sound is high quality, but boring.
This I for sure a YMMV issue - on my Pontus II/12 my impression is the opposite! I’ve gone back and forth two times with plenty of burn in time in between for electronics and brain. I find the newer fw forgiving warm and detailed. Like many things, if you are very satisfied with the performance might be best not to upgrade. Meanwhile we can always revert back, not all manufacturers allow for this.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #881 of 1,166
I’m love loving version 1.8. The original fw became bland and muddy. I really encourage folks who try the new fw to log some time and then play with the filtering to your liking. Alvin called NOS a chunkier sound for vocals and jazz but liked the slow filtering best for overall performance. I agree with the man. Great sound!

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #882 of 1,166
After a few weeks with the old firmware 1.0 there is no going back to the new FW. In my opinion, the old FW is the truest SOUND, without any artificial overclocking of the treble. Thank you Denafrips for your work on the creation of the new FW, but i will stay with the original one, which has a sound captivating with naturalness.
Pontus owner

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #883 of 1,166
This pretty much echoes my experience of v1.0 versus v1.4 on my Pontus 12th. The latter can sound spectacular, and it's the one I'm currently listening to.

I would add, however, that there is one downside I can't ignore that v1.4 brings to the table. Female vocals tend to have a hardness to them, and perhaps a slight haze. That I've found myself listening to mostly female vocal music recently makes this a critical consideration.
For about the first 36 hours after I updated my Ares II to v1.8 FPGA firmware I wasn't sure if I like the sound signature of v1.8. I noted that with v1.8 the clarity has improved, the bass is more articulated and less boomy. However, overall I felt the tonality of v1.8 a bit clinical and less "musical" than that of v1.0. Also the music notes seem to be rendered a tad bit less "weight" with my all-tubes system. I then left my Ares II on (and playing Naim Jazz radio) for another 36 hours. After that, to my surprise the sound signature of v1.8 has drastically improved. The "clinical" tonality aspect of my initial impression is gone. After more burn-in hours, I find v1.8 retains much of the sound signature of v1.0 but it has better clarity and better instrument presentation on sound stage. Still I find v1.0 more forgiving if the recording is a bit bright and edgy. Whereas v1.8 excels on good recordings but less forgiving on bad recordings. More details is retrieved with v1.8 and this only works out well if the recording is good. Yes, v1.0 is a bit "muddy" (relatively speaking), but it tends to deliver a pleasant listening experience especially for long listening session. My Ares II now has v1.8 for about 72 hours. I'm keeping it at this point. Kudos to Denafrips and team for the effort involved to deliver the firmware upgrade.
More detail exacerbates the artists and engineers quality of work one way or the other. I vote yes to that!

Jul 18, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #884 of 1,166
More detail exacerbates the artists and engineers quality of work one way or the other. I vote yes to that!

Musical enjoyment is the point, in my opinion. Detail is just one route to that. I'm more concerned about tonality and timbre.

I'm not that interested in sound-staging though.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #885 of 1,166
Denafrips has the right to change the voicing of their equipment and be more competitive in the market, if this is their marketing strategy. But, by changing the most important mid-range sound quality, they offer to their existing customers a new piece of equipment that some of us would have never bought in the first place. In this huge thread, no-one has mentioned that the newer firmwares offered this year, have a warmer - more forgiving - more relaxing - plug-in and forget sound. It is clear that the new direction of Denafrips is to offer higher resolution, more analytical sound and precise soundstage. This new direction is very welcomed by many but not from all. Some of us prefer the “original Denafrips sound” and find refuge to the 1.0 version.
Yes yes & yes. Kudos to Denafrips for offering customers options to choose the type of sound that suits one's preference. I'd never imagine that at the time when I bought Ares II I actually got a "buy one get two free" deal. Bravo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back