DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:00 AM Post #631 of 1,124
Tplus 12th!!
Hi guys, after 24hrs with v3.7, I decided change back to v1.0 to tryout.
FPGA burn in is a real thing.
24hrs is way more than nothing, but I'd guess there could be a change for the better still coming.

My Venus played some days non-stop before the new sound profile with the new firmware settled.

Cheers!

Jun 2, 2023 at 12:23 PM Post #632 of 1,124
Well, I wish I could reach the point of dealing with burn-in problem :wink: I couldn't even get the updated T-Plus work with I2S input from Iris DDC. I went back and forth a few more times (really proficient at both WIN and Mac OS FUTs now :)), tried every I2S pin configuration, sure enough, either Vinshine sent me a wrong firmware or the new fpga firmware just can't work with Iris DDC via I2S connection, e.g. when a configuration worked OK with PCM playback, DSD playback became noisy, vice versa. That would make sense if the DDC is a third party product, but... anyways, I enjoy V1.0 even more now after hearing how bad the new/wrong firmware could sound :) :)

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 7:20 PM Post #633 of 1,124
i have an ares 2 , flashed the new firmware and used it for about 36 hours- i went back to the original one today - i prefer the older one .
the newer firmware made it sound like the other dac i have .

Jun 3, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #634 of 1,124
i have an ares 2 , flashed the new firmware and used it for about 36 hours- i went back to the original one today - i prefer the older one .
the newer firmware made it sound like the other dac i have .
Respect your choice as it is individual sound preference. Do you find the latest firmware more analytical ? Or other reason

Jun 3, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #635 of 1,124
I've had FW 1.4 since it came out. At first it seemed quite OK. But now, I will rather go back to the original FW. It seems that on the new FW the hights are a bit brighter, and low ones are stronger. However, on the original FW I like the reverbs more. Someone wrote that he does not understand why change the good sound. I think the same. For me, in my system, the Pontus II on the new FW approaches sonically other DACs that sounds clear, detailed and detailed. That's not what I'm looking for in music. It would be primarily musical, not detailed. I'm going back to the original sound soon, the one that was at the beginning, because that's what I liked.

Jun 3, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #636 of 1,124
I've had FW 1.4 since it came out. At first it seemed quite OK. But now, I will rather go back to the original FW. It seems that on the new FW the hights are a bit brighter, and low ones are stronger. However, on the original FW I like the reverbs more. Someone wrote that he does not understand why change the good sound. I think the same. For me, in my system, the Pontus II on the new FW approaches sonically other DACs that sounds clear, detailed and detailed. That's not what I'm looking for in music. It would be primarily musical, not detailed. I'm going back to the original sound soon, the one that was at the beginning, because that's what I liked.
I agree completely. I have been digesting all of this for weeks now. I have a 2-yr. old Pontus II.
After the time-waste with V1.3…(2 weeks of "burn-in" 🙂 made no change in the initial sound for me)…..and after reading comments here…I will not even load V1.4. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I really am not sure what the sound engineers at Denafrips were trying to achieve. These firmware updates seem to defeat their raison d'être? That is just "my" experience. V 1.0 is blissful…and was immediately so, as soon as I reloaded it. No "burn-in"?

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #637 of 1,124
I just installed the new firmware on my T2. As advertised I had to reset the I2S and clock sync for my Gaia but everything went very smoothly. First impression is not a big change, the sound is a little more transparent, and maybe a little more treble energy. But no reason to roll back to the old version. I'm heading out for the day with music playing on the DAC. I'll listen some more later.

Jun 3, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #638 of 1,124
I'm excited to share some users' feedback about the latest firmware update. 😃

Review of the new v1.4 firmware for my Pontus II
https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/review-of-the-new-v1-4-firmware-for-my-pontus-ii

Detailed and tone-balanced as I like
https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/pontus-dac-fpga-firmware-v1-4-feedback

Happy listening!

The way I look at this FW updates is like buying a car.
A year ago, you bought a car 1.0 and loved it.
A year passed by, you are still enjoying it.
Then, the dealership give you another 2 cars, 1.3 and car 1.4 for free.
Now you have 3 cars in your garage and have the freedom to choose which one you want to take it out for a spin at any given day according to your feelings.
I would not complaint and question about this dealership for doing these but showing my greatest appreciation.

Enjoy driving :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 2:52 PM Post #639 of 1,124
Now you have 3 cars in your garage and have the freedom to choose which one you want to take it out for a spin at any given day according to your feelings.
I would not complaint and question about this dealership for doing these but showing my greatest appreciation.

I agree that’s it nice to have a choice. One complication is that the newer firmware options include technical improvements and/or bug fixes in addition to changes to the sound signature. So at the moment you can’t necessarily get one without the other.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #640 of 1,124

I can see the appeal of that, the only issue is you have to reapply the firmware each time. Shame there wasn’t a way to just switch the firmware sounds directly from the DAC.

Jun 4, 2023 at 8:11 AM Post #643 of 1,124
If you can switch between "soft focus" and "sharp focus" depending on the firmware,
it will be an epoch-making product.
I think that it is possible "in principle" if you equip dual ROM and switch.
Actually, I would happily trade in the option to switch between fast and slow roll-off filter -- most people seem to prefer the slow filter anyway.
So trade in the fast (sharp) filter for the new sound signature, and leave the second "slot" with the OG sound signature.

Jun 4, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #645 of 1,124
For what it's worth I've finally settled with v1.4 for my Pontus 12th. However, it did force me to upgrade my neutral Cardas Cygnus XLR for the warm Cardas Clear Reflection. The latter is an exceptional cable for those who want to reduce treble energy without losing detail, dynamics and rhythmic elements. It's not cheap though, and very difficult to audition here in the UK.

As my listening room is far from ideal I've had to accept that I need a warm component in it. And v1.4 with a warm XLR is a very good match.

That's me done now. I still have a credit card bill to clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back