DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Jun 2, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #619 of 1,124
It sucks! Luckily I was able to revert back to V1.0 and my T-Plus (2021) still works. I2S setting was the main problem after the update. When playing PCM (FLAC) files, 000 setting worked fine for V1.0, but was too loud giving skipping/clipping sound frequently, I tried other settings, some worked, but half of those reversed the channels. DSD playing was even worse, most settings gave rise to loud popping sound, only two configurations worked (can't remember which), however the same two settings were not good for PCM. Anyways, I am now back to V1.0 and thank God it is still working, beautifully...

Jun 2, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #620 of 1,124
It sucks! Luckily I was able to revert back to V1.0 and my T-Plus (2021) still works. I2S setting was the main problem after the update. When playing PCM (FLAC) files, 000 setting worked fine for V1.0, but was too loud giving skipping/clipping sound frequently, I tried other settings, some worked, but half of those reversed the channels. DSD playing was even worse, most settings gave rise to loud popping sound, only two configurations worked (can't remember which), however the same two settings were not good for PCM. Anyways, I am now back to V1.0 and thank God it is still working, beautifully...
Denafrips Hermes DDC & Terminator Plus DAC I2S Settings

1.Turn on the "mute button"
2.Turn on the "phase button"→When you press the phase button, the place where the LED shines changes.
You can easily set it while playing a CD at low volume.
Easy once you get used to the procedure.

Jun 2, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #621 of 1,124
RE: TII/TPlus Firmware Update

Q:
How to identify the DAC is bricked?
A: The DAC will not function. The front panel will not display any LED light when powered on. Pressing the Power/Standby button will not result in any response or activity.

Q: There is LED light but no sound, why is that?
A: The DAC firmware was incorrectly flashed, either with or without the LVDS chip, causing it to not produce any sound. To resolve this, it is necessary to reflash the DAC with the appropriate FUT. For further assistance, please contact firmware@vinshineaudio.com and provide the necessary details. Subject Title: <Tx Ext LVDS FUT (?)>

Q: How to unbrick the DAC?
A1: Please return the DAC to us, and you will cover the shipping costs. We will then proceed to flash the firmware and return it to you, with the return shipping expenses also covered by you.

or

A2: It is possible to reprogram the FPGA by utilizing a USB Blaster, but please note that this method is compatible only with Windows operating systems. We provide this option for individuals with advanced computer skills, as it involves multiple steps, such as installing Intel software on the PC and flashing the DAC using the USB Blaster.

1685692792099.png

For further assistance, please contact
firmware@vinshineaudio.com

Jun 2, 2023 at 5:29 AM Post #623 of 1,124
After the FPGA firmware update, there is no sound difference (gain) between XLR and RCA from my ARES II when I change my source selector ?

Edit: Just read the specification the dynamic range and SNR between XLR and RCA is only 1db difference.

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 5:48 AM Post #624 of 1,124
IMG_1803.jpegHi,

Today I upgraded my Terminator + to latest firmware using an M2 macbook air. No problems at all. Smooth upgrade. Configured clock and i2s after to match again my Gaia DDC.

I spent like 2 hours of critical listening to well known tracks and I liked the change. Looks like it gained even more detail and "life". Hard to tell without an A/B test but quite happy.
Preciosa central nuclear del paraiso auditivo jajaja, welcome my friend

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #625 of 1,124
All lights are on as normal but just no sound. Sent an email to Vinshine waiting for their reply now. I double checked the chip was correct before updating firmware.
All lights are on as normal but just no sound. Sent an email to Vinshine waiting for their reply now. I double checked the chip was correct before updating firmware.
Update :

Vinshine emailed me the correct firmware. Works flawlessly so far. Appreciate their effect as today is public holiday in Singapore.

Setting need to redo between Hermes & terminator 2 for I2S & clocking. Not a big issue just need to dig out the manual for reconfiguration. 😞

Thanks Vinshine 👍

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:37 AM Post #626 of 1,124
Update :

Vinshine emailed me the correct firmware. Works flawlessly so far. Appreciate their effect as today is public holiday in Singapore.

Setting need to redo between Hermes & terminator 2 for I2S & clocking. Not a big issue just need to dig out the manual for reconfiguration. 😞

Thanks Vinshine 👍
They gave support on public holiday, impressive.

Jun 2, 2023 at 7:40 AM Post #628 of 1,124
RE: TII/TPlus Firmware Update

Q:
How to identify the DAC is bricked?
A: The DAC will not function. The front panel will not display any LED light when powered on. Pressing the Power/Standby button will not result in any response or activity.

Q: There is LED light but no sound, why is that?
A: The DAC firmware was incorrectly flashed, either with or without the LVDS chip, causing it to not produce any sound. To resolve this, it is necessary to reflash the DAC with the appropriate FUT. For further assistance, please contact firmware@vinshineaudio.com and provide the necessary details. Subject Title: <Tx Ext LVDS FUT (?)>

Q: How to unbrick the DAC?
A1: Please return the DAC to us, and you will cover the shipping costs. We will then proceed to flash the firmware and return it to you, with the return shipping expenses also covered by you.

or

A2: It is possible to reprogram the FPGA by utilizing a USB Blaster, but please note that this method is compatible only with Windows operating systems. We provide this option for individuals with advanced computer skills, as it involves multiple steps, such as installing Intel software on the PC and flashing the DAC using the USB Blaster.

For further assistance, please contact
firmware@vinshineaudio.com
You are f amazing both as person and as company, be proud for what you and your team are doing in the audio world

If you brick your DAC you can bring it back by yourself and they will give support, I've been with computers too many years already and every company will try to take your money from mistakes or errors that can cause your hardware to die...... The fact that they now give the option to DIY is beyond amazing

10/10

Last edited:
Jun 2, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #629 of 1,124
Tplus 12th!!
Hi guys, after 24hrs with v3.7, I decided change back to v1.0 to tryout.
I found v3.7 vocal slight clearer & louder, however overall musical seem not that warm, a bit lesser bass.
After flashed back to v1.0, every detail seem back. Play back few favourite tracks, all seem great.
I will just stay with v1.0 for now.
Note: the i2s dsd channel now need swap back to normal.

Jun 2, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #630 of 1,124
Denafrips Hermes DDC & Terminator Plus DAC I2S Settings

1.Turn on the "mute button"
2.Turn on the "phase button"→When you press the phase button, the place where the LED shines changes.
You can easily set it while playing a CD at low volume.
Easy once you get used to the procedure.

Thanks but I can't set DDC since I have Iris. So I can only try different configurations on T+ DAC. I could not find any setting that works for both PCM and DSD. Maybe the DAC with new firmware is not compatible with Iris?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back