DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
May 15, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #496 of 1,124
sonically the v.1.4 firmware is halfway between v.1.0 and v. 3.3, it certainly doesn't have all that harmonic richness of 1.0 but it retains some of it, so it doesn't sound as sterile (delta sigma DAC) as v3.3. I foresee many staying with v.1.0, maybe I will return to it myself, but I will stay a few days on v.1.4. It seems that Pontus users really like a sumptuous sound.

May 15, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #497 of 1,124
I'll share some very early impressions of the new 1.4 software with my Pontus II. Very positive so far. From a broad stroke standpoint I find 1.4 does in fact sound like it falls somewhere between V1 and 1.3 but it leans more toward V1. The smoothness, air and decay of V1 is intact compared to the more dry sounding 1.3. Midrange and low bass weight is on par with V1. I am hearing the tighter, more nuanced bass as I heard in V1.3 but it's bold and big like V1. Also, as I heard in 1.3, I am hearing a bit more definition and cleanliness throughout with better sense of layering and tighter imaging compared to V1 but not nearly as dry and perhaps "over processed" as 1.3. Again, as of right now, to me 1.4 sounds more like V1 but with the "good" attributes I hear in 1.3.
it will take a while to understand. but surely there are bat ears that have already understood the difference. (in my experience I could give a judgment after 2/3 weeks)

May 15, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #498 of 1,124
it will take a while to understand. but surely there are bat ears that have already understood the difference. (in my experience I could give a judgment after 2/3 weeks)
It gets easier when you are obsessed with listening to your system several hours a day and helps if you have a system that is quite resolving.

May 15, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #499 of 1,124
For both, as I understood it. However, I got the impression that the issues with 1.3 affected P II a lot more than P 12th.
I think this is correct, I too was not 100% clear about whether the 12th ed dacs were included or not after watching Alvin's video. However when I checked out the FUT link, there was the v1.4 option staring at me so I thought why not. AES can be two channels stereo multiplexed SPDIF on one XLR type connector or separate channels on two connectors (dual AES) which leads to a doubling of the max sampling rate, so the firmware upgrade v1.4 enables this mode on the Pontus DACs in addition to the other sound tweaks. Although I may never need this facility, it is definately a step up and good to have, so I upgraded without further checks re 12th inclusion. To my ears v1.3 on my 12th ed sounded very good and better than what had been initially installed. The latest v1.4 also sounds very good and very similar.

May 15, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #500 of 1,124
It gets easier when you are obsessed with listening to your system several hours a day and helps if you have a system that is quite resolving.
and above all, musical works that you know as well as you know the rooms in your own home.

May 15, 2023 at 12:21 PM Post #501 of 1,124
sonically the v.1.4 firmware is halfway between v.1.0 and v. 3.3, it certainly doesn't have all that harmonic richness of 1.0 but it retains some of it, so it doesn't sound as sterile (delta sigma DAC) as v3.3. I foresee many staying with v.1.0, maybe I will return to it myself, but I will stay a few days on v.1.4. It seems that Pontus users really like a sumptuous sound.
As someone who has never heard the Pontus 2, and only bought a 12th a month ago, I've yet to hear the famed Pontus richness. To be honest, I've found both v1.0 and v1.3 to be a touch bright. It might be that the P2 1.0 sound is not possible with the 12th.

The 12th is a great DAC, though it is not what I was hoping for, nor expecting

May 15, 2023 at 12:27 PM Post #502 of 1,124
As someone who has never heard the Pontus 2, and only bought a 12th a month ago, I've yet to hear the famed Pontus richness. To be honest, I've found both v1.0 and v1.3 to be a touch bright. It might be that the P2 1.0 sound is not possible with the 12th.

Have you extensively "burned-in" the unit?

May 15, 2023 at 12:49 PM Post #504 of 1,124
...I have the Beatechnik LHY SW-8 coming this week to further confuse my listening experience! LOL! :sweat_smile:
I saw your post that you upgraded your preamp with Audio Note parts that I admired a lots.👍
I am wondering if you upgrade your 6sn7 tubes. On the tube gears, Upgrading the tubes is very important. I have upgraded all my 6sn7s to 1940s military tubes and they sound incredible. I used to have a Marantz model 9 reissue about 20 years ago. It sounded so good that I figured I needed to preserved the vintage Marantz's 6ca7 tubes. So I ordered the Mullard EL34 reissue and it sounded terrible comparing to the vintage tubes and even after the burn in.

I am very sure it will make your DAC sounding a level higher.😀

Note: Even 1960s non-military vintage are also very good.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 12:54 PM Post #505 of 1,124
I've installed v1.4 to my Pontus 12th. Will give it a good while before judging it.

Just a note to anyone who might be running their Denafrips from an Innuos streamer via USB. The USB Audio settings in the Innuos are reset to default each time the firmware is updated. These settings include USB latency mode, DSD and MQA.

Edit: initial impressions are very favourable. My current fave album* is a touch bright, and that hasn't changed, but musically it feels better. Even more melodic, better vocals and guitars. The mid-range feels clearer and more obvious. I even think the female vocal sibilance which has recently been bothering me has been reduced.

Edit2: I'm giving this a HUGE thumbs up. Feist's new album is a very high quality recording for vocal and acoustic guitar. It sounds phenomenal. I'm quite staggered..

* - Safe to Run by Esther Rose

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #506 of 1,124
Surely. in my case not many hours of listening but a highly resolving system. It is not a problem to perceive the differences but it is a problem to understand what is "better". (imho)

May 15, 2023 at 1:41 PM Post #507 of 1,124

Same situation. P/2/12 Purchased 20 days ago. It is a good dac, suitable for the task to be performed and for the (my) system for which it is intended. My first impression coincides with yours. But it's slightly improved with burnIn. And even further when I remembered (if I understand correctly) that it has unbuffered outputs. And so I replaced a signal Mit (expensive and with an equalization network) between the dac and the tube preamp, with another cable that was not "equalized" but "normal". It made itself heard. I would take this into account if you connect it to a tube system. Get a little better. just a little but it feels

May 15, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #508 of 1,124
Same situation. P/2/12 Purchased 20 days ago. It is a good dac, suitable for the task to be performed and for the (my) system for which it is intended. My first impression coincides with yours. But it's slightly improved with burnIn. And even further when I remembered (if I understand correctly) that it has unbuffered outputs. And so I replaced a signal Mit (expensive and with an equalization network) between the dac and the tube preamp, with another cable that was not "equalized" but "normal". It made itself heard. I would take this into account if you connect it to a tube system. Get a little better. just a little but it feels
I mitigated the brightness by seeking out an XLR famous for its warmth: the Cardas Golden Cross. Only available 2nd hand on eBay. It's worked wonders, though I don't think my system could have handled a neutral interconnect.

May 15, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #509 of 1,124
I saw your post that you upgraded your preamp with Audio Note parts that I admired a lots.👍
I am wondering if you upgrade your 6sn7 tubes. On the tube gears, Upgrading the tubes is very important. I have upgraded all my 6sn7s to 1940s military tubes and they sound incredible. I used to have a Marantz model 9 reissue about 20 years ago. It sounded so good that I figured I needed to preserved the vintage Marantz's 6ca7 tubes. So I ordered the Mullard EL34 reissue and it sounded terrible comparing to the vintage tubes and even after the burn in.

I am very sure it will make your DAC sounding a level higher.😀

Note: Even 1960s non-military vintage are also very good.
Cool…you saw my upgrades to the Freya+.
Well...Changing out the 4 Capacitors (https://www.v-cap.com/odam-capacitors.php) and replacing all 8 resistors with the Audionote ones in the tube stage made a more profound difference in the sound than just changing out any tubes. I kept the stock JJ Tubes on the left side and put in some GE NOS on the Right Side. Definitely a good sound improvement, too. I also got some SYLVANIA 6SN7 GT TALL 2 HOLES Bad Boys BLACK PLATES, which tightened up the bass some but the highs got a tad bright for me on some music.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 2.52.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 2.52.38 PM.png
    659.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #510 of 1,124
I’m sure I’ll try v1.4 at some point on my Pontus II but the early reports of the sound being halfway between v1.0 and v1.3 are a little concerning to me personally. I definitely prefer v1.0 in my system and room and was hoping the new revision would include technical improvements while preserving the Denafrips sound that I really like. But maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back