DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
May 15, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #481 of 1,173
This time I am waiting for the feedback from others BEFORE implementing this latest firmware offering.
I have been so pleased with the sound of my system after reloading the original firmware that came on my Pontus II! 😁
st,small,845x845-pad,1000x1000,f8f8f8.u9.jpg

May 15, 2023 at 6:56 AM Post #482 of 1,173
Very right, very right.

Ad I mentioned, I'm not a geek and it's already complicated (for me) to turn on the dac and connect it to the sources.

So 1)- I should understand if P/2/12 should be updated too (but I think so) and 2) then understand if it's worth it.

interesting, however, the possibility of using the two inputs XRL/Aes/Ebu (110 ohm) to manage high resolution data streams. In my experience the XRL connection is higher/better than the I2s one, always, unless it's a very short distance (no more than 0.75cm I2s)…. all IMHO, and in my system. We'll see.

May 15, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #485 of 1,173
May 15, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #488 of 1,173
Would you dare to give us a first impressions report? 😃
Not really I can't make that mistake so early haha, I will listen to a bunch of songs I know very well then go back to OG firmware and compare :D

Edit: Very first impressions are possitive but I find it normal as the tracks I'm listening to are freaking amazing even with a gramophone from the 30s

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #489 of 1,173
Woot! Thought I would add a link to the 1.4 announcement video.

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #490 of 1,173
I look forward to trying it out.

Just wish they could release a version tailored to include an eq dip around the sibilant frequency.....

May 15, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #491 of 1,173
Did the FPGA firmware for v1.4 today on my Pontus II 12th ed. I had previously liked the v1.3 firmware but decided to try out the latest as it included a mod for dual AES. Being a Windows 10 laptop user, I was a bit anxious about the BitLocker encryption stuff rearing it's head again, but no problem this time. Just a warning message at the final batch file run step pops up, do not panic, click on the underlined see more bit of the message and various options are presented to you. Choose the RunAnyWay one which will run the flashing code and not block it as is the default apparently. The flashing took about 30 secs, then after power cycling the DAC, you can check the USB status, reports F1.4 for my situation, so successfull upgrade.
Been listening the last couple of hours, overall impression is that is very similar to the previous v1.3 firmware, note this on a Pontus II 12th ed DAC. Very clear and detailed, lots of punch and dynamics, deep soundstage, as I say very like the v1.3. Will continue to listen but am pleased the sound has not changed. Interesting to hear if Pontus II users who preferred the older v1.0 now like the v1.4.

May 15, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #492 of 1,173
Terminator 2/+ update postponed to June 1st.

"Hi ,

I would like to apologize for the delay in the release of the FPGA Firmware Update. Instead of releasing it as planned, we have decided to postpone it until early June.

The reason for this is that we are collaborating with DENAFRIPS to develop a firmware that offers the best of both worlds: bug fixes, new features, and the same high-quality sound that DENAFRIPS is famous for. I appreciate your patience and understanding during this time

We plan to roll out the firmware update for Terminator II/Plus DACs at a later date, tentatively:

Terminator II / Plus (1st June 2023)

Please find the full news in the link below:

https://www.vinshineaudio.com/post/new-fpga-firmware-denafrips-pontus-dac

Thank you for your kind patience and consideration.

Many thanks.

Project x FPGA Firmware Update"

May 15, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #493 of 1,173
Did the FPGA firmware for v1.4 today on my Pontus II 12th ed. I had previously liked the v1.3 firmware but decided to try out the latest as it included a mod for dual AES. Being a Windows 10 laptop user, I was a bit anxious about the BitLocker encryption stuff rearing it's head again, but no problem this time. Just a warning message at the final batch file run step pops up, do not panic, click on the underlined see more bit of the message and various options are presented to you. Choose the RunAnyWay one which will run the flashing code and not block it as is the default apparently. The flashing took about 30 secs, then after power cycling the DAC, you can check the USB status, reports F1.4 for my situation, so successfull upgrade.
Been listening the last couple of hours, overall impression is that is very similar to the previous v1.3 firmware, note this on a Pontus II 12th ed DAC. Very clear and detailed, lots of punch and dynamics, deep soundstage, as I say very like the v1.3. Will continue to listen but am pleased the sound has not changed. Interesting to hear if Pontus II users who preferred the older v1.0 now like the v1.4.
Hi...Did Alvin say that this FW update is specifically for the Pontus II and NOT The Pontus 12th Addition or did I get that wrong? (I have a Pontus II that is back on original firmware. The new firmware was too bright on my system). Also, I completely do not understand the bit about the two-wire Hermes hook-up...but I am not planning on a Hermes, so that most likely does not matter to me.
I have the Beatechnik LHY SW-8 coming this week to further confuse my listening experience! LOL! :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
May 15, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #494 of 1,173
Hi...Did Alvin say that this FW update is specifically for the Pontus II and NOT the Pontus 12th addition or did I get that wrong? I completely do not understand the bit about the two-wire Hermes hook-up...but I am not planning on a Hermes, so that most likely does not matter to me.
For both, as I understood it. However, I got the impression that the issues with 1.3 affected P II a lot more than P 12th.

May 15, 2023 at 12:02 PM Post #495 of 1,173
I'll share some very early impressions of the new 1.4 software with my Pontus II. Very positive so far. From a broad stroke standpoint I find 1.4 does in fact sound like it falls somewhere between V1 and 1.3 but it leans more toward V1. The smoothness, air and decay of V1 is intact compared to the more dry sounding 1.3. Midrange and low bass weight is on par with V1. I am hearing the tighter, more nuanced bass as I heard in V1.3 but it's bold and big like V1. Also, as I heard in 1.3, I am hearing a bit more definition and cleanliness throughout with better sense of layering and tighter imaging compared to V1 but not nearly as dry and perhaps "over processed" as 1.3. Again, as of right now, to me 1.4 sounds more like V1 but with the "good" attributes I hear in 1.3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back