DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
May 15, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #511 of 1,180
I’m sure I’ll try v1.4 at some point on my Pontus II but the early reports of the sound being halfway between v1.0 and v1.3 are a little concerning to me personally. I definitely prefer v1.0 in my system and room and was hoping the new revision would include technical improvements while preserving the Denafrips sound that I really like. But maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised.
I do, too, I vastly preferred V1 over 1.3. I mentioned earlier that it's not quite in between to me, which is what Sandro said, I said V1.4 leans toward V1 with a few attributes that I liked in V1.3 such as a tad more nuanced bass and a tad bit more clarity which makes spatial cues like layering better. To me the tonality, heft, bass and midrange weight, smoothness, treble response and air/decay is the same as V1.

May 15, 2023 at 7:42 PM Post #512 of 1,180
I do, too, I vastly preferred V1 over 1.3. I mentioned earlier that it's not quite in between to me, which is what Sandro said, I said V1.4 leans toward V1 with a few attributes that I liked in V1.3 such as a tad more nuanced bass and a tad bit more clarity which makes spatial cues like layering better. To me the tonality, heft, bass and midrange weight, smoothness, treble response and air/decay is the same as V1.
I am enjoying 1.4 and I only miss 1.0 just to compare, I'll keep 1.4 tomorrow full day and A/B with 1.0 on wednesday

This is not like 1.3 where I needed to go back asap....

May 15, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #513 of 1,180
I am enjoying 1.4 and I only miss 1.0 just to compare, I'll keep 1.4 tomorrow full day and A/B with 1.0 on wednesday

This is not like 1.3 where I needed to go back asap....
Yep, I agree. I was waiting for you to chime in. I agree that time will tell to make sure. I'll try to do the same and A/B them. Looking forward to your comments!

May 15, 2023 at 7:53 PM Post #514 of 1,180
Yep, I agree. I was waiting for you to chime in. I agree that time will tell to make sure. I'll try to do the same and A/B them. Looking forward to your comments!
It's like I want to dislike it but I can't so far, need more time with this "new" sound and... The peace of mind as I can go back anytime I want

Looking forward to your comments as well sir!

May 15, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #515 of 1,180
Audeze CRBN Pontus II 12th.jpeg

Happy listening!

May 15, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #516 of 1,180
Please Alvin when will the Ares II get the "fixed" firmware after going back to version 1 the display rate bug i had is back( files showing as playing at DSD2048 instead of DSD1024, i no longer have the firmware fix that was released for that, can you please re upload it unless this will be addressed in the new firmware that will also fix

* Improved Adaptive FIFO Buffer & Reclocking Architecture
* Reduced the effect of Buffer overrun/underrun due to the Source's Clock and the DAC's Clock differences
* Eliminate Phase Difference between L/R Channels
* Optimised DSP to improve the sonic performance - WITHOUT THIS Thanks

May 16, 2023 at 12:21 AM Post #517 of 1,180
I am sure I will try 1.4 soon enough, but waiting a moment since I have been tweaking other elements of my system and it becomes challenging-to-impossible to fairly A/B the firmware with other system changes in the mix. That said, for those who A/B with otherwise more settled systems, I would be curious of possible differential A/B of 1.0 OS to 1.4 OS, and 1.0 NOS to 1.4 NOS. One of the focuses of 1.3 had been a more true NOS, and I found the 1.3 NOS far more tolerable than the 1.3 OS (though I prefer 1.0 to 1.3 for both OS and NOS). So I have an interest in other's opinions of the 1.4 NOS, especially.

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #518 of 1,180
I am one of the hundreds of people who upgraded the Pontus II from 1.0 to 1.3 and then switched back to 1.0. My main issue was the random micro skips which is not acceptable at all. Upgraded to 1.4 today and I like it. No more micro skips, bass is firmer like in the 1.3, female vocal is more clear, and soundstage is more precise.
I will keep trying 1.4 for at least a week, but my impression is that I won’t go back to 1.0.
I’ve not tried yet the NOS/OS selections.
Tons of credits to Alvin!!!

May 16, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #519 of 1,180
PONTUS II-12th 1.3→1.4 NOS I2S

The volume of the low range has decreased a little.
"Vocal" clarity improved instead.
The depth expression of the accompaniment and vocals has also improved.
I'm happy because it's a point that I personally focus on.

May 16, 2023 at 5:41 AM Post #520 of 1,180
I am receiving an LHY SW-8 Network Switch 2Day, which I intend to install this weekend. My expectation is that this change will nuance the sound of my system…and has a burn-in period. Perfect timing.
I have decided to work thru THAT change and continue to follow the posts here of those who favor the original firmware and who are implementing V1.4. I am so happy with the original firmware on my Pontus II, that I may not bother with this new iteration. We'll see. Thanks to all who are reporting their impressions, as I am avidly following your journeys! 👍🏼

Last edited:
May 16, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #524 of 1,180
Thanks everyone for the quick feedback on fw1.4. Very encouraging to hear that this time no one is rushing to go back to fw1.0, yet LOL I am jealous as you guys are already testing 2nd iteration of the fw update and I am still waiting for the release of any fw update for my T+ :frowning2:
Don't be jealous, you have the T+

Hahahaha

May 17, 2023 at 10:30 AM Post #525 of 1,180
I've been listening to music on the new firmware for about 5 hours. Someone has already written and I confirm that the new firmware is sonically between original 1.0 and 1.3. For me, in my conditions, version 1.4 is nicer than version 1.3 and it also seems to have a lot of details and space. Who knows if I listen to another week, maybe I will not go back to version 1.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back