DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 21, 2023 at 3:00 AM Post #346 of 1,181
Thanks all.

By the way, does anyone have a feel for whether valid burn-in of a Denafrips DAC includes just being switched on? Or, does burn-in only occur with an active signal being sent to the amp?

I've noticed that Denafrips advise it be permanently powered up.

Apr 21, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #347 of 1,181
Thanks all.

By the way, does anyone have a feel for whether valid burn-in of a Denafrips DAC includes just being switched on? Or, does burn-in only occur with an active signal being sent to the amp?

Congratulations on your new dac!
My advise to you is:
1 - Let it burn for two weeks. Power always on. Using a streamer you can burn 24/7
2 - After that, if you dislike the sound, then change the firmware to the 1.0 (my absolute favorite on my Pontus II).
3 - Try not to stress. Just leave it burn to see if you like it after, but I know from personal experience (the last FW thing) that it could be absolutely frustrating trying to see results every day. A bit of patience is needed.
4 - I always use stand by mode at night when not in use.

The good thing is that 99% 🤪 of audiophiles love the Denafrips sound and most probably you will too.
For me the FW1.0 is where that sound is, as I have found the latest FW to be exactly what you have described: fatiguing and brash.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #348 of 1,181
Thanks all.

You ask: "…or does burn-in only occur with an active signal being sent to the amp?"
My understanding is that burn-in is exactly that: An active signal being sent through the DAC from a digital streaming source, to an amp and speakers or headphones being played.
I would love to hear clarification from others on the topic though, as I an definitely not an electronics engineer.

Apr 21, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #349 of 1,181
Any Venus owner has tried the update and cares to share your experience? Thanks!

Bump. I haven't seen any reports from Venus owners, but maybe I missed it. Just based on the message board chatter I've seen it seems like Venus might be the least owned (or least posted about) of the Denafrips DACs. Maybe all the owners are too busy listening to music to be posting online.

Apr 21, 2023 at 10:31 AM Post #350 of 1,181
Bump. I haven't seen any reports from Venus owners, but maybe I missed it. Just based on the message board chatter I've seen it seems like Venus might be the least owned (or least posted about) of the Denafrips DACs. Maybe all the owners are too busy listening to music to be posting online.
Or they are afraid to do an upgrade after our entries 🤣🤣🤣

Apr 21, 2023 at 9:15 PM Post #352 of 1,181
I have a Venus II and upgraded the firmware. Like many of you, I found it bright, with diminshed bass, and somewhat fatiguing. I rolled back a day later, so no loss. When I bought the Venus II, I enjoyed it from day one. After the upgrade, I lost that sense of enjoyment. The listening experience was very unlike that from before. I guess that there is a difference in experience depending on whether you are using a headphone or speaker setup. Most of us in this forum I assume are using headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #353 of 1,181
I have a Venus II and upgraded the firmware. Like many of you, I found it bright, with diminshed bass, and somewhat fatiguing. I rolled back a day later, so no loss. When I bought the Venus II, I enjoyed it from day one. After the upgrade, I lost that sense of enjoyment. The listening experience was very unlike that from before. I guess that there is a difference in experience depending on whether you are using a headphone or speaker setup. Most of us in this forum I assume are using headphones.

Interesting, thanks for posting. Just curious if you tried any other options with the new firmware like OS vs. NOS or a different filter?

I've got a Terminator 2 so I'm up next and curious what's going to happen. I use both speakers and headphones FWIW.

Apr 21, 2023 at 11:30 PM Post #354 of 1,181
Interesting, thanks for posting. Just curious if you tried any other options with the new firmware like OS vs. NOS or a different filter?

I've got a Terminator 2 so I'm up next and curious what's going to happen. I use both speakers and headphones FWIW.
Yes, I did try the various settings. Previously, my preferred setting was OS with Slow Filter. After the upgrade, I wasn't quite sure which option I preferred, suffice to say none of the options mitigated what I perceived was an adverse impact to the traditional Denafrips sound signature brought about by the upgrade.

Apr 22, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #355 of 1,181
"I have a Venus II and upgraded the firmware. Like many of you, I found it bright, with diminshed bass, and somewhat fatiguing. I rolled back a day later, so no loss. When I bought the Venus II, I enjoyed it from day one. After the upgrade, I lost that sense of enjoyment. The listening experience was very unlike that from before."
Pontus II here…you described my experience exactly.

Apr 22, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #357 of 1,181
Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'm a little fuzzy on the Firmware Update Tool provided by Vinshine. Is each instance of the FUT specific to a fixed version of the FPGA firmware? Or does the user get to choose the firmware version during the installation process? Also, are there 1.1 and 1.2 versions, or did we go straight from 1.0 to 1.3?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #358 of 1,181
Sorry to keep asking questions, but I'm a little fuzzy on the Firmware Update Tool provided by Vinshine. Is each instance of the FUT specific to a fixed version of the FPGA firmware? Or does the user get to choose the firmware version during the installation process? Also, are there 1.1 and 1.2 versions, or did we go straight from 1.0 to 1.3?
Newest 1.0 released is based on latest firmware before the "Apocalypse", discard 1.1 or 1.2

Just make sure the firmware you're going to install is based on your FPGA chip

Apr 22, 2023 at 7:14 AM Post #359 of 1,181
Newest 1.0 released is based on latest firmware before the "Apocalypse", discard 1.1 or 1.2

Just make sure the firmware you're going to install is based on your FPGA chip
So the version choice is made at the point of installation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back