DENAFRIPS FPGA Firmware Update (12TH Anniv.)
Apr 19, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #335 of 1,181
His daughter may find it QUITE entertaining!!!! 😀
How lucky she is haha

By the way, I'd like to share this godlike artist I recently discovered: Marcin, he sounds phenomenal thru my Pontus II and Cayin HA-3A :D

ENJOY

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #336 of 1,181
How lucky she is haha

By the way, I'd like to share this godlike artist I recently discovered: Marcin, he sounds phenomenal thru my Pontus II and Cayin HA-3A :D

ENJOY

Thanks for the song Jose! Fabulous!

Apr 19, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #337 of 1,181
Apr 19, 2023 at 9:48 PM Post #339 of 1,181
Really been liking the updated firmware on my Ares 2. It fixed the clicking-popping noise I was getting, and in my system, I feel the sound quality is an improvement with new firmware.

The opinion to go back to the original is a added bonus that I’m glad to see. It opens the door to using it with different tubes and to change the sound signature in the future if wanted. Anyways just wanted to post and say thanks to Alvin and crew for handling this so promptly and in a way that everyone is happy with.

Apr 20, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #340 of 1,181
My new Pontus 12th arrived 2 days ago, and so far it clearly offers several improvements over my existing internal DAC in my Hegel H390. However, it is noticeably bright, digital - with female voices sibilant. Google brought me to this thread - and I'm glad I found it. I'm sure Vinshine will ask me to be patient with burn-in. Though, to me, it's not right. I have previously worked hard at removing digital facets (Innuos PhoenixUSB, Uptone EtherRegen, AfterDark clock), and had got somewhere decent, though like most of us I wanted more, but similar.

Thank you @Sun Table for establishing that new Pontus 12ths can have firmware reverted.

Before I set wheels in motion with Vinshine, can someone help me understand the versioning being discussed? Some are referring to reverting to v3.12.0 (as set out here). While others refer to versions 1.0 and 1.3.

Is it the case that v3.12 and v1.0 are synonymous?

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #341 of 1,181
My new Pontus 12th arrived 2 days ago, and so far it clearly offers several improvements over my existing internal DAC in my Hegel H390. However, it is noticeably bright, digital - with female voices sibilant. Google brought me to this thread - and I'm glad I found it. I'm sure Vinshine will ask me to be patient with burn-in. Though, to me, it's not right. I have previously worked hard at removing digital facets (Innuos PhoenixUSB, Uptone EtherRegen, AfterDark clock), and had got somewhere decent, though like most of us I wanted more, but similar.

Thank you @Sun Table for establishing that new Pontus 12ths can have firmware reverted.

Before I set wheels in motion with Vinshine, can someone help me understand the versioning being discussed? Some are referring to reverting to v3.12.0 (as set out here). While others refer to versions 1.0 and 1.3.

Is it the case that v3.12 and v1.0 are synonymous?
V3.1.2 is the MCU USB Firmware and the same as V3.14 minus the USB volume control. The V1.0 FPGA Firmware refers to the original Firmware Jan 1st 2020 and the 1.3 or 1.6 is the latest Mar 8th 2023 based on which chip you have. They can be installed independently or when installing the FPGA Firmware either version, the V3.12 MCU USB will also be installed. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #342 of 1,181
V3.1.2 is the MCU USB Firmware is the same as V3.14 minus the USB volume control. The V1.0 FPGA Firmware refers to the original Firmware Jan 1st 2020 and the 1.3 or 1.6 is the latest Mar 8th 2023 based on which chip you have. They can be installed independently or when installing the FPGA Firmware either version, the V3.12 MCU USB will also be installed. I hope this helps.
Thanks @Majors

So, assuming I prefer the sound of v1.0 FPGA over v1.3, then I should be able to have both v3.12 and v1.0 installed? They are compatible, right?

Apr 20, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #343 of 1,181
Thanks @Majors

So, assuming I prefer the sound of v1.0 FPGA over v1.3, then I should be able to have both v3.12 and v1.0 installed? They are compatible, right?
You need both Firmware to operate, so yes. I can say burn-in is a real thing with these Dac`s, and mine sounded as you described until after 100 hours. Burn-in is a series of heat cycles plus hours. Also I use a test burn-in disk with test tones to aid in the process.

Apr 20, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #344 of 1,181
I will back Majors up on the new Denafrips DAC break-in time. It’s a real thing ….That being said, I reverted back to the v1.0 firmware as v1.3 made my well-used Pontus II sound like a $400 chip DAC on "my system". Lots of us had that experience With v1.3. I am guessing that it’s a system-synergy thing….but am no expert.
Ms10…I would say, give the new unit time to break-in and also try v1.0. We would be interested to hear about your experience. Good luck!
P.S.: I found there to be no break-in time on either firmware as stated by Alvin.. My experience is you load the firmware and it is what it is…no change over time, but that is just me. 😀

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #345 of 1,181
My new Pontus 12th arrived 2 days ago, and so far it clearly offers several improvements over my existing internal DAC in my Hegel H390. However, it is noticeably bright, digital - with female voices sibilant. Google brought me to this thread - and I'm glad I found it. I'm sure Vinshine will ask me to be patient with burn-in . Though, to me, it's not right. I have previously worked hard at removing digital facets (Innuos PhoenixUSB, Uptone EtherRegen, AfterDark clock), and had got somewhere decent, though like most of us I wanted more, but similar.

I can only comment on my parallel situation, playing with a R2R ‘ladder’ DAC.. (different brand though).. for whatever reason it doesn’t ship in “it’s best sounding mode (to me)”.
When I went to effort to put it in NOS mode, it sounded not dramatically different to the 8x oversampling mode, and really wasn’t what I was expecting (based on previous experience, at the ‘height of two channel audio’ and such designs).
After an album or so, I found a mode switch and found another option in the NOS mode sounded night and day different.. in my eyes it was more than twice the DAC upgrade having basically changed a filter.. (Was what I was guessing)..

When I went and looked up the literature.. the modes I had been playing with was basically the company offering different performance modes that would swing massively based on ‘partnering equipment and setup’.
I then understood WHY it would not sell or default to such settings. (remember that 99.99x% of the world are Delta Sigma users whose kit in most instances is simply designed to ‘work with anything that may be chained to them’)
The literature explicitly spoke about tolerances..

As I was using a reclock box (a twenty plus year old Yamaha CDR-HD1300 in my instance), I found even crappy Playstation USB audio output (OK not so crappy with the effort I go too to ‘aiding’ the USB output), and nice cables and sitting on power regen (and nice cables etc), and I believe in clock chips (wanted/got upgraded clocks in the DAC etc).. my experience in a ‘certain mode’ certainly worked well for MY USE CASE.

Now- with regards to ‘burn in’..

A mates’ Denefrips (beautiful sound, got me off my, erm, ‘seat’ to upgrade my DAC too), showed me in the first three hours of listening that the sound stage started to extend out (/forward) into the room.. beyond hour five the audience applause was beyond the rear wall .. at the week mark it was VASTLY more (sound quality in every regard).. and the month mark, more so again.

In those first moments.. DSD sounded better.. likely due to the pathway being ‘less break in’ needed.. but over (a little) time, everything changed up..
BASS frequencies require the most ‘in a row’ reads to be right.. but no doubt will gain all sorts of texture and tonality.. I’d agree that your sound profile isn’t ‘set’ yet..
The difficulty with baking firmwares right now is ‘how much of the sound change comes from one or the other’.

The best thing about listening on my mates reference setup is the static nature of the build.
Outside of gradually added room tuning.. and the speakers toe in changing ONCE over four years, the occasional system change up is overt as to why.
eg: an iFi power filter on a power board.. (does THAT)..(or at least allows careful listening over many many recordings to learn what might be changed, or not).

Whilst I was disappointed that the mode I found that made my DAC sound beautiful (and more so -‘the sound I was actually chasing’), wasn’t default I had advantage of not having to roll firmwares AND my part was already broken in (Second hand, three years ‘young’)

Most in the market will not have the parts to form a chain requiring high quality digital transport.
My friend with the Denefrips- bought a dedicated CD transport.. and even prefers CDs now, due to the upgraded 4KUHD player (three/four models up the sales lineup) not doing the same ‘class of digital’. This wasn’t stumbled onto or based on ‘belief’ (the movie player was the newest part and cost, arguably ‘more’,.) it was something that happened naturally based on what was bringing the most amount of ‘toe tapping’ JOY to the table.
We look forward to rolling some Firmwares.. (next time there is reason to move kit, we will open the box and grab the requisite photo..), and will have an ability to compare the differing input ‘feeds’ to see if (digital) tolerances are playing apart of this..

Of course, again, R2R being ‘so niche’, the feedback and knowledge on ‘matching’ isn’t widely accepted or even spoken about.. (I am about 85% likely to leave headfi based on it being impossible to discuss this hobby in the very place it should be discussed)(that isn’t the issue, but being chased down by zealots and badgered non stop IS)

I wholeheartedly agree ‘roll firmwares to alter sound profile’ (happy days/‘nice one TEAM for supporting with OUTSTANDING CUSTOMER SERVICE)..

But first learn your part with a range of recordings.

As it had been about ten years since I had a super high quality PCM1704 setup (Denon DCD-S10 and Parasound HD1100),so I had a few ‘new’ recordings I wasn’t sure whether they were Den setup worthy (nice two channel rig) or ‘for the mass market setup’ (goes to the Theatre rig, itself comprised of ‘nice parts’ and outboard power amplification etc)..

A few albums last night I was gritting my teeth just about.. the treble in particular.
Fortunately I had started using my ‘new’ R2R DAC with some reference recordings so I wasn’t scared.. (that I was somehow ‘stuck’ with THIS SOUND).. and, just like I expected, when I fed nicely recorded (ie ‘not for the radio’, although some are ‘good’) the sound returned to ‘not being arrgh’.

Learn your present recordings VIA your DAC in its present state.. (ideally with at least 300 hours through it too, ideally 1000 hours though would be my speculation) , and then rolling firmwares might be of some academic use also.

I am a ‘set and forget’ user myself.. having selectable filters causes me a ‘low level stress’ if I am gear-fi’ing, and not simply enjoying the music..
if you want to set and forget,,.. wouldn’t it be nice to roll firmwares less often.

TL: DR
learn a few recordings via that setup.
try two differing sources (by weight/pricepoint) eg dedicated CD transport/ vs movie spinners..
let bake until a few hundred hours on the table..

I’d say ‘enjoy the music’ (most of all), but obviously the post was to deal with sound you know can be better.

I feel you,.. felt the same way myself until I locked down NOS mode with tight tolerances that fit my rig like a glove. (different brand of pizza though) :wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back