Denafrips Artemis
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #196 of 205
My Yggdrasil MiB with the Mjolnir 3 is stellar. I love it! Playing thru Meze Elites, I don't feel I am missing much at all. That said, I still want to get a TOTL tube amp someday.
This is a great thread, very educational with the reviews and personal reflection on the different amps and such. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #197 of 205
I can't speak on the V281 as I've never heard it, but I obviously have the Artemis, and if what you say you're looking for, you won't be disappointed with the Denafrips.

That said, it also depends on your headphones - if your headphones are dark, those in combo with this amp may be too dark. The Sennheiser HD800S (a bright headphone) is a perfect match for the Artemis.

Suggest you view this video to get an idea of the Artemis amp. Given I have the amp (also why I got it), I feel he's spot on with his overall impressions. His description was exactly what I was looking for sound wise in a headphone amp...

Good luck.

I am treble sensitive so even neutral headphones at times do get a bit over my comfort depending on the recording, I don't have dark headphones in my collection as such.
I upgraded to audio-gd R2R dac from an Delta Sigma SMSL dac and that did tame the sound to my liking in right direction and seems Artemis might be the amp that will shift sound towards my liking.

My Agd R28 has preamp built-in so unity gain should be fine.

I will have to save up for Artemis looks like...

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #198 of 205
Oh, I hope you didn't take offense to my message. I was just saying what Alvin told me and what I've experienced. The HD800S might be the absolute perfect headphone for the Artemis. I used to own the Pontus II and Iris. Wonderful digital front end. I only had one issue with it, and over time that issue led me to moving on. But, sound wise I couldn't find a fault that would cause me to want to move away. The Pontus is an amazing DAC.

I am glad you like your set up, it sounds like it is working out great and that the amp is a perfect match for what you are doing. Can't ask for more than that.
I don't take offense to messages posted online by people I don't know; I just reply to the posts as written :wink:

Anyway, I was simply stating Lachlen had no issues with reviewing an amp with unity gain. It never even came up. Also, in my setup, it's also a non-issue.

But for the record, when I first inquired about the Artemis. Alvin also stated to me, the amp was a unity gain amp and pointed me to a Kinky headphone amp. Once I explained my potential setup (at the that time), he understood the Artemis wouldn't be an issue. Which for me, it isn't.

I'm no expert here, but from my basic understanding if you employ another amp with a volume control, in which you're trying to match the output of the Artemis (unity gain amp), you'll run into issues - distortion, or under/overpowering. My setup employs no other amps with volume controls, so no issues here.

That said, that also doesn't mean you can't use a pre-amp with the Artemis, you can, but from my understanding a stepped volume would be best.

At the end of the day, my understanding of all this is basic at best, so I would refer to what Alvin says in pairing the Artemis with a suitable pre-amp. But yes, this is a Unity Gain amp, so that's something to consider. But again, from Lachlen's review, the "issue" never came up.

And yes, I'm happy with my setup, but I'm barely two months in, so... next up... build quality / issue free.

My two cents.

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #199 of 205
I don't take offense to messages posted online by people I don't know; I just reply to the posts as written :wink:

Anyway, I was simply stating Lachlen had no issues with reviewing an amp with unity gain. It never even came up. Also, in my setup, it's also a non-issue.

But for the record, when I first inquired about the Artemis. Alvin also stated to me, the amp was a unity gain amp and pointed me to a Kinky headphone amp. Once I explained my potential setup (at the that time), he understood the Artemis wouldn't be an issue. Which for me, it isn't.

I'm no expert here, but from my basic understanding if you employ another amp with a volume control, in which you're trying to match the output of the Artemis (unity gain amp), you'll run into issues - distortion, or under/overpowering. My setup employs no other amps with volume controls, so no issues here.

That said, that also doesn't mean you can't use a pre-amp with the Artemis, you can, but from my understanding a stepped volume would be best.

At the end of the day, my understanding of all this is basic at best, so I would refer to what Alvin says in pairing the Artemis with a suitable pre-amp. But yes, this is a Unity Gain amp, so that's something to consider. But again, from Lachlen's review, the "issue" never came up.

And yes, I'm happy with my setup, but I'm barely two months in, so... next up... build quality / issue free.

My two cents.
I understand your point. Lachlan did not bring it up, but he also didn't gush about the amp. He just liked it from my memory of the review. At the end of the day if it works for your set up, that is all that matters. I wasn't trying to stop anyone from doing anything. Honestly, just as you don't take offense to messages from strangers, I don't take offense or care what gear people use. Especially people I don't know. :) Everyone has their own way and likes what they like. I am glad the amp is a winner for you!

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #200 of 205
I understand your point. Lachlan did not bring it up, but he also didn't gush about the amp. He just liked it from my memory of the review. At the end of the day if it works for your set up, that is all that matters. I wasn't trying to stop anyone from doing anything. Honestly, just as you don't take offense to messages from strangers, I don't take offense or care what gear people use. Especially people I don't know. :) Everyone has their own way and likes what they like. I am glad the amp is a winner for you!
To clarity a couple of points.....

You made this statement....
have owned several Denafrips pieces and know Alvin pretty well. The only item he wouldn't let me review if I wanted to review his stuff was the Artemis due to the synergy issue which is a big part of the amp being unity gain.
And yet he let Lachlen review the amp. Now whether you agree with the review or not is irrelevant. The point is Alvin did allow someone (Lachlen) to review the amp.

Also, I'm not here to sell the amp, I merely provided "my" feedback on what the amp is doing for "me" in "my" setup. If the amp doesn't meet your needs or you feel it has certain issues, that's perfectly fine. But "I'm" also perfectly fine to have my feelings - which are not based on hyperbole, but actual ownage and usage.

And I one million percent agree with this statement: "Everyone has their own way and likes what they like". Can you actually accept that though?

Peace :sunglasses:

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #201 of 205

And yet he let Lachlen review the amp. Now whether you agree with the review or not is irrelevant. The point is Alvin did allow someone (Lachlen) to review the amp.

Also, I'm not here to sell the amp, I merely provided "my" feedback on what the amp is doing for "me" in "my" setup. If the amp doesn't meet your needs or you feel it has certain issues, that's perfectly fine. But "I'm" also perfectly fine to have my feelings - which are not based on hyperbole, but actual ownage and usage.

And I one million percent agree with this statement: "Everyone has their own way and likes what they like". Can you actually accept that though?

Yeah, I believe I can. Or I wouldn’t have said it.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:13 AM Post #202 of 205

That is not the point, and never was. Alvin didn't give the amp to Lachlan. He got it from an audio store in Australia who he thanks at the end. I am also not here to sell or disparage the amp. Just to provide the feedback that Alvin gave me and what he and others have taught me about Unity. I was trying to be helpful. I would guess by your tone that you don't find what I wrote helpful. So be it! And the only one who will know if I can accept that everyone has their way and likes it that way is me. Certainly not you.

Apr 26, 2024 at 1:51 AM Post #203 of 205
I apologize to the thread. I will be leaving the thread so as to not cause any further issues with those who own and love the amp. My aim was never to disparage the amp.

Enjoy your Artemis's...

Apr 26, 2024 at 7:04 AM Post #204 of 205
I apologize to the thread. I will be leaving the thread so as to not cause any further issues with those who own and love the amp. My aim was never to disparage the amp.

Enjoy your Artemis's...
I do own the amp having replaced a Violectric V281 with it and yes I love it.
As for unity gain - I have no idea what it is but just plugging my DAC into the Artemis works just fine the same as any other head amp . HD800S, AA Composer, Hifiman HE1000SE all sound great.
For those interested - why not ask Alvin to clarify his remarks about unity gain?

Apr 26, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #205 of 205
I do own the amp having replaced a Violectric V281 with it and yes I love it.
As for unity gain - I have no idea what it is but just plugging my DAC into the Artemis works just fine the same as any other head amp . HD800S, AA Composer, Hifiman HE1000SE all sound great.
For those interested - why not ask Alvin to clarify his remarks about unity gain?
That would be best. He knows way more than I do about it. Glad your getting amazing sound with your chosen headphones. An amazing line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back