DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Dec 5, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #3,541 of 3,907
Finally was able to get a good deal on the Ares II. What is a good headphone amp no more than $150? Eventually I will get something better. I will be using AKG K702 headphones. Thank you!

Dec 6, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #3,542 of 3,907
I recently bought the Xduoo MT-604, its a tube hybrid so works well with both planar and dynamic headphones, but it's only balanced XLR in/out, below that there is the MT-602 which does have unbalanced out but it has less power.

Dec 7, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #3,543 of 3,907
Did you buy from Vinshine? In the past Alvin sent out new versions even if you ordered a new one. And was very lenient with trading in for higher-end models.

Unaware of this new development, I am somewhat glad I sold my Ares II last month. Surely this will drop the prices of second-hand Ares II units.

Had I known about this anniversary edition, I might have gone for it. I2S and true NOS are great features. The USB looks upgraded too, on a separate board now? I wonder if I2S is still reclocked -- hopefully not.
true NOS? where did you got that info? are you sure? isn't it just a dedicated NOS/OS button?

:wink:

Dec 9, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #3,545 of 3,907
true NOS? where did you got that info? are you sure? isn't it just a dedicated NOS/OS button?

:wink:
I read somewhere its 'true' NOS now...:vulcan:

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:36 PM Post #3,546 of 3,907
So apparently this is now called the Enyo. https://www.denafrips.com/enyo

Enyo.jpg

Confused? We are here to help :)

Enyo VS Ares II
  • Ares II is renamed to Enyo
  • They are identical inside-out

Read more here: link

Dec 10, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #3,547 of 3,907
Enyo.jpg

Confused? We are here to help :)

Enyo VS Ares II

Read more here: link
Hello Alvin,

I've been watching your video.
I like that it has the same name with a slight change.

Technically it has also been well explained where the differences are.
And whether it is helpful with a DDC.

Most people are probably wondering if both units are the same sound-wise or if the 12 th is different from the Enyo?

On the subject of DDC, I also have a question: is it possible to connect other DDCs than the in-house DDC?
Singxer, Matrix Audio, Holo, for example, would be such candidates.

Some may also lack an explanation why the Ares Enyo as well as 12 th should remain on power (standby) when not in use.
Somehow there are also wild speculations about this.
Others worry that switching on/off could damage the Ares over time, etc...
It would be nice if you could shed some light on this.

Dec 10, 2022 at 3:36 AM Post #3,548 of 3,907
Enyo VS Ares II
I thought it would be replaced. Any DAC in the price range above $500 should have I2S port, including the closest competitor, Audio GD R2R-11 Mk2.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #3,550 of 3,907
and/or even better, have some kind of DDC integrated, from usb. or a really good usb integration.
If you mean galvanic isolation on USB port, you are right. It reduce a need for a DDC. Ares 2 do not have, Ares 12 neither. R2R-11 do have optionally, it brings price to $690, but it is not the way is done in more expensive R-8Mk2 ($1700). Still DI-20 bring improvements. Dealing with ground loops is not easy task.

Without galvanic isolation on USB when your source is leaky (like a PC - most cases), it is a lottery. It may sound good, but in most cases it require further attention. In the end it cost more than adding galvanic isolator inside a DAC and is not so effective.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 8:18 PM Post #3,552 of 3,907
And what's wrong with Ares' usb implementation? It sounds great to me through the usb input.
Well, it really depends on what "wrong" is considered. In my experience for example, if used a usb 3.0 cable on a usb 3.0 connection, it really sounds worse than following Sajunky advice of using a usb 2.0 hub, and connect the AresII there, using an old usb 2.0 cable.

A DDC would solve that. Seems to me quite awkward that after spending a bit under 1000€ on a DAC, you still have to be doing all those perks, so i have to connect my dac to my usb 2.0 keyboard to make it sounds as good as it can sound. The difference is quite noticeable, much cleaner doing the usb 2.0 trick. Desk is full of stuff like that. I would therefore would like to have some kind of DDAC instead, like a whole integrated thing from a simple usb connection. I know this is asking too much, but sometimes I wonder if it would not be kind of the same to use a cheap decent delta sigma akm dac, with a cheap linear power supply, and then filter it all by a valve preamp or buffer or... My understanding is that Schiit for example, maybe their multibit dacs not as good as this, and almost the same price, but, they have a better usb implementation. Some people in this forum even recommended to cascade ddc's (LOL!!!), not sure if that was trolling (very probably) or not. These people advised to use a ddc, connected to another ddc and then connect that to the dac, for the best sound possible, LOL.

Just trying to look for improvements, very happy with it since they updated the firmware and works now flawlessly with my mac, before it was huge headaches which every reboot of the computer, or just every time the standby button was pressed or it got stuck the whole system. Quite a headache. Not anymore since they updated the firmware a lot.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #3,553 of 3,907
Well, it really depends on what "wrong" is considered. In my experience for example, if used a usb 3.0 cable on a usb 3.0 connection, it really sounds worse than following Sajunky advice of using a usb 2.0 hub, and connect the AresII there, using an old usb 2.0 cable.

A DDC would solve that. Seems to me quite awkward that after spending a bit under 1000€ on a DAC, you still have to be doing all those perks, so i have to connect my dac to my usb 2.0 keyboard to make it sounds as good as it can sound. The difference is quite noticeable, much cleaner doing the usb 2.0 trick. Desk is full of stuff like that. I would therefore would like to have some kind of DDAC instead, like a whole integrated thing from a simple usb connection. I know this is asking too much, but sometimes I wonder if it would not be kind of the same to use a cheap decent delta sigma akm dac, with a cheap linear power supply, and then filter it all by a valve preamp or buffer or... My understanding is that Schiit for example, maybe their multibit dacs not as good as this, and almost the same price, but, they have a better usb implementation. Some people in this forum even recommended to cascade ddc's (LOL!!!), not sure if that was trolling (very probably) or not. These people advised to use a ddc, connected to another ddc and then connect that to the dac, for the best sound possible, LOL.

Just trying to look for improvements, very happy with it since they updated the firmware and works now flawlessly with my mac, before it was huge headaches which every reboot of the computer, or just every time the standby button was pressed or it got stuck the whole system. Quite a headache. Not anymore since they updated the firmware a lot.
If you have a good transport, than you don’t need DDC for Ares II.

Dec 12, 2022 at 1:19 AM Post #3,554 of 3,907

That's news to me.
So ideally the Ares 2 should be plugged into a USB 2.0 hub using a usb2.0 cable instead of directly into the PC?

I would need to purchase a usb 2.0 hub to test this out.....

Can you link the discussion thread on this topic?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back