DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 22, 2022 at 5:51 AM Post #3,107 of 3,907
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 5:06 PM Post #3,113 of 3,907
How is the ARES II sofar?

Has anyone here compared the Schiit Bifrost 2 in an A/B test with the Denafrips Ares II?
How did they differ sound-wise when all else was the same?
I read a review somewhere that compared them, they said they are on the same level just coming from 2 different directions; they said ultimatley it is a matter of prefference.

I am loving the ares. It's been on for 8 days now and the sound is settling in, utterly addictive. I have the Questyle 15 ($2,500) on tour, and It's been sitting on my desk unused the last 2 weeks, the ares/Jot2 combo is just better to my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2022 at 9:59 AM Post #3,114 of 3,907
Has any Ares II owner bought the Iris DDC too? If so how is it?

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #3,115 of 3,907
Has any Ares II owner bought the Iris DDC too? If so how is it?
I've had the Ares for 3 days and the Iris for 2, and am told the Ares is still breaking in... With the Iris my GSX mini is now absolutely dead silent even with max volume on high gain and being fed from my pc. I'm not so great at describing sound, but instruments and voices sound spookily real and defined in space, and I wasn't quite getting that feeling with the Ares alone. My only quibble with the Ares is that it seems to have a bit of extra sizzle in the sibilance region that can be more or less noticeable depending on the content. The Iris does seem to tame that a bit, or it could be the Ares breaking in, or my brain breaking in.

Feb 25, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #3,117 of 3,907
I've had the Ares for 3 days and the Iris for 2, and am told the Ares is still breaking in... With the Iris my GSX mini is now absolutely dead silent even with max volume on high gain and being fed from my pc. I'm not so great at describing sound, but instruments and voices sound spookily real and defined in space, and I wasn't quite getting that feeling with the Ares alone. My only quibble with the Ares is that it seems to have a bit of extra sizzle in the sibilance region that can be more or less noticeable depending on the content. The Iris does seem to tame that a bit, or it could be the Ares breaking in, or my brain breaking in.
Thanks. I plan to buy the Iris next week.

Feb 25, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #3,118 of 3,907
Feb 25, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #3,120 of 3,907

Users who are viewing this thread

Back