DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jun 4, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,396 of 3,907
please don't correct me as if I don't know what I'm talking about, especially not on semantics while making all sorts of grammar mistakes yourself. I was just hinting on pattern recognition without boring everyone away or trying to write a paper on psychoacoustics. And I don't regurgitate old debunked ideas. Besides that you are obviously completely missing the point. You are not hearing what I'm saying but are completely enveloped in your own opinions. That is the filtering I was referring to: the filtering of ideas not sound or some arbitrary scientific theorem sampling frequency. (ideas being the higher order language to sound merely the carrier or lower level language)

Besides: all our brains auditive centre receives is samples from the stimulated nerve hairs in our cochlea, samples generated in our inner ears completely unrelated to any electrical or optical signals from outside our body. So contradictory to whatever you may think, our hearing, as well as our sight is completely digital. Ftm, the whole universe is digital, albeit on a very tiny sample scale. There is no infinity in nature, micro or macro scale so no real true analog.

What comes out of a DAC is an almost analog signal that mimics the intended signal closely with micro changes in phase and added distortion. An R2R is better in controlling phase, SD better in controlling distortion. I find phase (temporal coherence) to be the more important of the two. Therefore my preference would go to the Ares, but that doesn't mean the D90, or any AK4499 of flagship chip wouldn't sound pretty good. Implementation makes a lot of difference.

"The only sure barrier to truth is to assume you already have it."

It is our brain, not our mind. It is one things. A mind is a highest-level in our brain.

The second things wrong - our brain do not filter out contradictory info. There is a more complex reason if a brain do so, it may happen. Generally our brain takes a sample of a sound and compare it with known templates. It simplifies processing. If our brain do not find a valid template, it requires intensive processing for a full recognition of the object. When there are multiple difficult objects it can go beyond of the processing power. Instruments playing unisono are not recognised individually anymore, but are melted together into one sound. Over the longer time we get fatigue and we stop playing.

It is true that we want to hear what we have recorded during our lifetime (and possibly beyond). It gives full recognition of complex sounds, an effortless listening and a pleasure. Not things what you are saying. So I am going to feed my brain with such sound, not a sound that requires intensive processing and cause fatigue.

According to the Shannon-Nyquist, 44.1kHz sampling contain complete information about a waveform. Our brain is able to process such information without any loss. So why we are trying to alter real samples or fill-up 'missing' samples with wrong samples? There are no missing samples! These Delta-Sigma processed samples are wrong and only force our brain to work harder.

Any finally why there are Delta/Sigma advocates or a shameless Topping D90 advertising on the Denafrips thread?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #1,397 of 3,907
please don't correct me as if I don't know what I'm talking about, especially not on semantics while making all sorts of grammar mistakes yourself.
Well, in such case, take a time and either repeat the same ten times more to get attention of someone like me, or don't bother to reply. Thank you for conversation about Topping D90. <VBG>

Jun 4, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #1,398 of 3,907
If you're using a chip DAC, that's an L from me.

Jun 4, 2020 at 9:28 PM Post #1,399 of 3,907
Well, in such case, take a time and either repeat the same ten times more to get attention of someone like me, or don't bother to reply. Thank you for conversation about Topping D90. <VBG>
Boy, for a second I thought I was on that other site. You know, the one that, in a stunning case of false advertising, puts "friends" in its title.

Jun 4, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #1,400 of 3,907
It is our brain, not our mind. It is one things. A mind is a highest-level in our brain.

This was an unusual but kinda neat post. Thank you :)[/QUOTE]

Jun 5, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #1,402 of 3,907
Jun 5, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #1,404 of 3,907
Awesome. This is on my 'to buy' list. This will probably be the highest I go with a DAC.
If you look at a bill of materials, Ares II is a good value, no question about. It is in contrast of many 'chipdacs' which are overpriced 5-times or even more.

I own a competetive very little advertised Audio GD R2R11 (which is selling only $350 and it include a very good headphone amp) and I was thinking whether Ares would be my next upgrade. It doesn't seem, as Ares keep a mouth shut on a question how I/V conversion and output stage is designed. I love a real, natural sound of my R2R11 and its puch&slam is extraordinary, shaking my heart every time it comes out of the recording. According to the reviews it is a strong feature of every Audio GD device. I am afraid I would lose it with Ares. Any thought?

Jun 5, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #1,405 of 3,907

me? Are you an idiot? I have been using and modifying R2R dac's for years, and years and years. I make my own I/V stages and you feel the need to lecture me just because I keep an open mind and don't discard something else out of the bat right away? Read my replies a week back and go sit in the corner and think about what you said... tsss.

I am not considering the cheaper Audio-Gd R11 just because I do not trust the output stage and if I buy it I don't want to go and modify it like cheaper Chinese dac's. If I buy at such a price I do not want to go and tinker. And just before anyone goes on a rant again I've been a user and fervent advocate of Chinese audio for over 12y at least. I have seen good R2R dac's being ruined by unsuited or unnecessary output stages. Mostly (cheap) opamp output stages tend to ruin what could have been great.

I can't imagine the Ares II having a less than suited output stage or it wouldn't garner this many rave reviews.

Jun 6, 2020 at 1:01 AM Post #1,406 of 3,907
How do I connect with iPad? I have a marantz CD player and peachtree nova 150 what is the best way to connect for CD player and iOS output? New to the game, slightly clueless, and help much appreciated

I just got a Bluesound Node 2i and while the wifi streaming is predictably excellent, the bluetooth (with iOS) is pretty surprising for using such a low bitrate codec. AptX-HD sounds a lot better than AAC on the 2i fwiw. The internal DAC in the 2i is fine but the digital out will feed the Ares well. It can do 192kHz over coax, which was the first that that sold me on it. The BluOS iPad app is actually great. Not buggy, and easy to use. With something like a streamer, that factors so heavily into my enjoyment. Gapless playback was the last thing that sold me on it. The only downside is I think it doesn't do DSD but i havn't tried yet.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #1,407 of 3,907
I just got a Bluesound Node 2i and while the wifi streaming is predictably excellent, the bluetooth (with iOS) is pretty surprising for using such a low bitrate codec. AptX-HD sounds a lot better than AAC on the 2i fwiw. The internal DAC in the 2i is fine but the digital out will feed the Ares well. It can do 192kHz over coax, which was the first that that sold me on it. The BluOS iPad app is actually great. Not buggy, and easy to use. With something like a streamer, that factors so heavily into my enjoyment. Gapless playback was the last thing that sold me on it. The only downside is I think it doesn't do DSD but i havn't tried yet.

I’m using an Ares II with my Node 2i and have been happy with the combination.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #1,408 of 3,907
me? Are you an idiot? I have been using and modifying R2R dac's for years, and years and years. I make my own I/V stages and you feel the need to lecture me just because I keep an open mind and don't discard something else out of the bat right away? Read my replies a week back and go sit in the corner and think about what you said... tsss.

I am not considering the cheaper Audio-Gd R11 just because I do not trust the output stage and if I buy it I don't want to go and modify it like cheaper Chinese dac's. If I buy at such a price I do not want to go and tinker. And just before anyone goes on a rant again I've been a user and fervent advocate of Chinese audio for over 12y at least. I have seen good R2R dac's being ruined by unsuited or unnecessary output stages. Mostly (cheap) opamp output stages tend to ruin what could have been great.

I can't imagine the Ares II having a less than suited output stage or it wouldn't garner this many rave reviews.
There are three assumptions in this post.

1. You are very experienced - like - God and all others are idiots. Even you are God indeed (which I doubt), nothing prevent you from being more polite.

2. You don't trust Audio GD output stage. It is also an assumption that something is not done right. You just say, you don't trust but evidence is not given. On the contrary, output stage has always been a strong feature of all A-GD products - traditional and ACSS. There are only few brands offering things like ACSS (Krell is the one, probably one more). It is repeatedly pointed out by number of reviewers. So I really wonder, why do you not trust A-GD output stage???. It is an evident insinuation. The latest review is there: https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/audio-gd-r7-2020-version-review-r2r-done-right/

It is actually very interesting review where R7 is compared against Denafrips Venus and is winning in all aspects (including output stage).

In the same paragraph you say that it may be better if a DAC do not have an (active - pressumably) output stage than a defective one. I do agree. I have a passive RC network on my Nobsound 8x TDA1387 DAC/HPA, but it is $42 device. From the $$$ device I do expect a good active output stage. And I do have it on R2R11.

3. Assumption that Ares II have a good output stage. It may have a passive one, like my $42 Nobsound who knows? Revievers have very good amplifiers. Cheaper amplifiers may have problem with a passive output. This is a question I keep asking.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 9:52 AM Post #1,409 of 3,907
Boy, for a second I thought I was on that other site. You know, the one that, in a stunning case of false advertising, puts "friends" in its title.
It took a time, to realize which website you are refering to... This is a forum with a dog pack menthality syndrome. Every American website is affected by this syndrome, but there it goes to the extreme. Everyone who do not match a majority, is stamped by the administrators with a funny label, so all others can easily identify a person as an intruder.

No, I don't belong there. I read a lot before joining a pack. :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,410 of 3,907
gd7 is fking 2700 dollars... thats an amazing comparison! good job!
I prefer god..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back