DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Sep 30, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #1,231 of 3,907
I bought this dac from drop, wont be receiving till next month. I'm using Foobar. Is it easy to install the drivers because I had a pain in the ass time setting up foobar for dsd? I'd hate to go through that experience even though I forgot what I did to make it work.
If you want DSD over foobar you would need to set it up again, yeah. Do you need DSD though...? Denafrips is a PCM DAC.

Sep 30, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #1,232 of 3,907
If you want DSD over foobar you would need to set it up again, yeah. Do you need DSD though...? Denafrips is a PCM DAC.
I only have one album on DSD I could live without. I’m running this off Windows 10. I’d like to hook it up and do nothing, I’ve got the other Dac if I want to hear that album. So I’m guessing you asked if I really need DSD and answer is no. If I listen to that album it would just be converted to pcm I’m thinking. Would I need the drivers or not?

Sep 30, 2019 at 8:49 AM Post #1,233 of 3,907
I only have one album on DSD I could live without. I’m running this off Windows 10. I’d like to hook it up and do nothing, I’ve got the other Dac if I want to hear that album. So I’m guessing you asked if I really need DSD and answer is no. If I listen to that album it would just be converted to pcm I’m thinking. Would I need the drivers or not?
If you have updated windows/osx/linux it should just be plug and play without any issue! :)
If you run something old like Windows 7 you'll definitely need the drivers.

Sep 30, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #1,234 of 3,907
I bought this dac from drop, wont be receiving till next month. I'm using Foobar. Is it easy to install the drivers because I had a pain in the ass time setting up foobar for dsd? I'd hate to go through that experience even though I forgot what I did to make it work.
The

the DAC also does DSD. I have a Mac so I’m not familiar with Foobar.

Oct 3, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #1,237 of 3,907
Can anyone give me some feedback on the sound quality when playing DSD (either 64 or 128) files on the Ares II (via USB)?
I ask after viewing a review of the HoloAudio Spring2 where the reviewer stated that DSD files were decoded differently on that R2R DAC and the result was a noticeable decrease in sound quality.
I'm hoping the Ares II doesn't have a similar attribute.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2019 at 12:30 AM Post #1,240 of 3,907
Also, I have been looking for a stand-alone dac and is currently beeing torn between this, the Soekris 1541 and the .....preferably with a slight musical "tint".

Also it might be helpful to get some impressions on how it stacks up against the Soekris 1541 DAC. Appreciate if anyone can share their experience.

It would be great if someone could chime in on the Ares II vs Soekris 1541, the Toroidal on the Ares looks robust but the lack of an onboard preamp is discouraging for me as I would've preferred to drive my (fully balanced) amps directly with the Ares, I believe that can be done with the Soekris 1541. Then again the valuation of the Ares is attractive at $500 less than the 1541.
Any good fully balanced preamp suggestions guys, What is everyone using to drive their Ares II?

Oct 15, 2019 at 1:03 AM Post #1,241 of 3,907
I’ll be comparing to my friend's chord Qutest.

Hi, sorry for the late reply. I have not been able to get access to my friends Chord Qutest. The other DAC I have is a Mojo but I don’t think it’s much value to compare.

Would be interested to hear you thoughts/comparisons between the Ares II and your friends Chord Qutest, if you ever get a chance to listen to your friends Qutest.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #1,243 of 3,907
Just received my Ares 2 and like what I'm hearing. A lot of detail. It sounds bright at least I think it's brighter then my SMSL d1. It's probably just increase in detail that's tricking my brain. I most be to adjusted to the D1. Listening to dubstep on my V281 with Verite open. I gotta test Tool's new album.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2019 at 7:04 PM Post #1,244 of 3,907
Just received my Ares 2 and like what I'm hearing. A lot of detail. It sounds bright at least I think it's brighter then my SMSL d1. It's probably just increase in detail that's tricking my brain. I most be to adjusted to the D1. Listening to dubstep on my V281 with Verite open. I gotta test Tool's new album.

I received my Ares II just a couple of weeks ago. I'm very happy with it. I noticed better bass and slightly wider soundstage. A more "musical" sound that's a pleasure to listen to.
I'm using the USB input from a Roonlabs Rock and listening to mostly jazz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back