DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #3,496 of 3,907
What is untrue, you must be more specific. Or read it twice before posting? Better.
I read your post, I just think you are wrong. You say Ares II measures poorly, and ASR measurements prove it measures well.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #3,498 of 3,907
Nov 16, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #3,499 of 3,907
You recieved your 12th. Happy with it?
Yes, I like it a lot. Did you think I was talking about the Ares II? I posted a picture of the 12th. I'm very happy with the Ares 12th. To be honest I like this budget system with the ares 12th so much I'm beginning to question why spend more on components when you can get this level of sound for so much cheaper (comparatively speaking).

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #3,500 of 3,907
Yes, I like it a lot. Did you think I was talking about the Ares II? I posted a picture of the 12th. I'm very happy with the Ares 12th. To be honest I like this budget system with the ares 12th so much I'm beginning to question why spend more on components when you can get this level of sound for so much cheaper (comparatively speaking).
I agree. The Ares is such an over achiever. Crazy really. I have compared it to my £5000 Metrum Acoustics Adagio, and the performance delta is far less than it ought to be.

Nov 16, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #3,501 of 3,907
I read your post, I just think you are wrong. You say Ares II measures poorly, and ASR measurements prove it measures well.
Better read it again. Highlighted area will help you easier pickup a context.
You didn't see how Denafrips measurements look terribly against Holo Audio DACs, why you don't chose Springs?

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #3,502 of 3,907
Nov 18, 2022 at 5:30 AM Post #3,504 of 3,907
New to this thread and am kinda in the market for a new DAC heard so many good things about the Denafrips Ares ll, however, one thing I did hear which would be a deal breaker is the DSP has a slight delay "lip-sync doesn't correspond to video playback" is this true?

Nov 18, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #3,505 of 3,907
It's here and I'm happy to say the first impressions are favorable. Have not tried NOS yet, but the OS is good. Have not had the ares II long enough to compare thoroughly, but I do prefer the sound signature of the 12th over the Enyo(Ares II). Happy listening everyone.

It definitely has more weight and punch to the sound. Definitely more "analogue" sounding. I love it! Exactly what I was looking for.
So if you do not need any more weight and punch to the sound you should be fine with the Enyo version? I think my ears could not handle any more punch to the sound, at least when using the Meze Empyrean headphones.

Nov 18, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #3,506 of 3,907
New to this thread and am kinda in the market for a new DAC heard so many good things about the Denafrips Ares ll, however, one thing I did hear which would be a deal breaker is the DSP has a slight delay "lip-sync doesn't correspond to video playback" is this true?
The microprocessor inside these DACs adds a noticeable delay, yes.

Nov 18, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #3,507 of 3,907
Variable delay, it means it cannot be compensated.

Nov 18, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #3,508 of 3,907
yeah its due to the adaptive FIFO buffer they use, in my experience I haven't had that bad of a time with it, playing fps's and watching videos never really irritated me. However if I had to do video editing it would probably be annoying. Also I have almost always used a W4S Recovery in the chain and Iris DDC between my 2 computers

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2022 at 12:29 PM Post #3,509 of 3,907
I never noticed any kind of a delay at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back