DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Apr 30, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #3,231 of 3,907
Yes, the Hermes is a DDC.

IMO, the pontus is better value than the venus. And in the future you may upgrade the pontus to the terminator to pair with the Hermes.
I agree wholeheartedly.

With the Hermes DDC, the Pontus 2 performs extremely well for its price. If you already have the Hermes, then get a pontus 2 and save some money for the Venus. However, as an overall package, the venus 2 gives better performance.

May 29, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #3,234 of 3,907
Relative newbie, please bear in mind.
Which mode of the ares 2 dac MOST resembles the characteristic euphonic tube sound, which mode is most like Ss sound: Nos, os slow, os fast?

(I don't know if the genre of music affects the answer, but i listen to classical and some jazz)
PS. I mainly use the ares2 with an asgaard amp, which is ss

May 30, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #3,235 of 3,907
As a short long-term report after the V3.12.0 firmware update:
The known issue of the Ares II regarding the random out-of-sync USB buffer bug that caused noise and crackling (and only could be cured with play/pause or changing the buffer size in the driver control), seems to be finally solved! Never happend again with my Ares II after the update in Dezember.
Great job and product support from Denafrips and @alvin1118.

May 30, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #3,236 of 3,907
Relative newbie, please bear in mind.
Which mode of the ares 2 dac MOST resembles the characteristic euphonic tube sound, which mode is most like Ss sound: Nos, os slow, os fast?

(I don't know if the genre of music affects the answer, but i listen to classical and some jazz)
PS. I mainly use the ares2 with an asgaard amp, which is ss
Just leave it as is. That means NOS and slow roll-off.

Generally the steeper filters are the more they affect phase. So Nos and slow leaves the signal be as much as possible (regardless the discussion about what happens to the incoming signal, if it's 'not real Nos', it sounds very natural and un-exaggerated).

May 30, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #3,237 of 3,907
Just leave it as is. That means NOS and slow roll-off.

Generally the steeper filters are the more they affect phase. So Nos and slow leaves the signal be as much as possible (regardless the discussion about what happens to the incoming signal, if it's 'not real Nos', it sounds very natural and un-exaggerated).
Both the slow and steep filter in the Ares 2 are phase-linear filters.

May 30, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #3,239 of 3,907
Thank you. I was under the impression that the slow/fast filter was only active in OS mode, and that in NOS mode the filters didn't do anything. Was i incorrect?
That's correct.
In OS mode, you can pick between slow and fast filters.
In NOS, it uses a linear interpolation filter (not actually NOS but hey).

There isn't a 'correct' answer as to which is best. Best just to try all three and see which fits your prefs

May 31, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #3,240 of 3,907
Any comments on where Soekris DACs fall when it comes to performance against the Ares II (or Denafrips in general)? Build quality seems like Denafrips takes it easily, but what about sound? Would the Soekris 1421 compare to the Ares II? Would the 2541 best the Ares II but clearly fall short of the Pontus II?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back