DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Apr 16, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #2,176 of 3,909
I use a Lenovo Thinkcentre m75q out of convenience, since it is already on my desk to use for work and browsing. Sound quality is OK but I believe a DDC could help. A streamer of any kind would be yet another thing on my desk, so not that keen to get one. Plus I love the Roon experience on a big screen!

Apr 16, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #2,177 of 3,909
Sound quality is OK but I believe a DDC could help.

Then try it out.
In my opinion, the only real thing in hi-fi is - if something interests you, give it a try :)

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #2,178 of 3,909
If you have USB noise and/or ground loop issues and want to use USB as input for your DAC you can use a galvanic isolator.
1618581511534.png

I do use the Intona 7055-C, that solved all my groud loop induced issues hearing the USB/CPU noise (high frequency noise that was modulated when the mouse was moved) from my PC in the Questyle headphone XLR output (only on right channel) when RCA was connect to external AMP.
Audio.jpg

DDC is maybe usefully when you want to change from USB to something else, but otherwise the isolator gets the job done, since flipping bits due to clock scew will not happen on USB.

...and btw. my Ares II still sounds great! Even I also got the Musician Pegasus (Ares II clone/mod) now, I will keep the Ares II.

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #2,179 of 3,909
If you have USB noise and/or ground loop issues and want to use USB as input for your DAC you can use a galvanic isolator.
1618581511534.png
I do use the Intona 7055-C, that solved all my groud loop induced issues hearing the USB/CPU noise (high frequency noise that was modulated when the mouse was moved) from my PC in the Questyle headphone XLR output (only on right channel) when RCA was connect to external AMP.
Audio.jpg
DDC is maybe usefully when you want to change from USB to something else, but otherwise the isolator gets the job done, since flipping bits due to clock scew will not happen on USB.

...and btw. my Ares II still sounds great! Even I also got the Musician Pegasus (Ares II clone/mod) now, I will keep the Ares II.
Very useful. Thank you.

regards,
Simon

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #2,180 of 3,909
And the Raspberry Pi is not a PC of sorts? If you use it without an audiophile add-on card the USB output is arguably worse than a regular PC'.
This is true. Rpi till version 4 had nonstandard USB port. I don't think software was ever fixed and whether it worked in the optimum mode. Will see what Rpi4 brings.

Apr 16, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #2,181 of 3,909
1618581511534.png
Audio.jpg

I see two problems in this setup. First, Intona do isolation on the USB side, it is very complicated job, can easily lead to incompatibility issues. These issues where present in previous attempts giving not good reputation for such devices. Secondly, for audio better use USB 2.0 hub, it gives less high frequency noise. In this case a hub with multiple transaction translator, for a single device attached any USB 2.0 hub is fine. A mouse interference would be fixed with a simple solution: ferrite clamp.

Yip, DDC is most useful when converting to I2S, Ares do not have.

Apr 16, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,182 of 3,909
1618581511534.png
Audio.jpg

Such galvanic isolation hubs have been available but seldom receive such prized following as re-clocking DDC.

I'll assure you that once you use such a DDC, you will have great difficulty settling with USB. Not a matter of Skewing clock, it's providing a precise clock that the computer/streamer should provide with no jitter. In real world it' unlikely to have such a jitter free feed via USB. That "HUB" does not appear to retransforms the square wave from the noisy data/jitter input from your computer/streamer.

The comparison is certainly not apples to apples.

The hub simply appears to be a "clean" power replacement unit. Galvanic isolation helps with the reduction/elimination of EMI.

I assume the next phase in the audio world is to have hardcore reclocking of a streamer output within affordable means.

It'll be extremely difficult to get rid of such DDC once you purchase one....... I know many that are fully agreeing with such comments I make.

Apr 16, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #2,183 of 3,909
What makes you think a cheap DAP, or any DAP for that matter, has better USB than a PC?
Thank you for noticing that I use my ability to think. :wink:

I notice a lot of implied opinions in that question that makes it hard for me to reply. I don't use a 'cheap' dap, it's just doesn't cost a lot of money. It is better because it is made for a purpose. And because it works off a battery. And it has no moving parts so it is dead silent. It just delivers the data to usb (or coax) without a thousend other processes running in the background. The OS is compiled just for that purpose. Just like I use a Japanese 64 layers hammered nakiri to cut my onions on a big cutting board in the kitchen and not my swiss army knife. I can slice a pound of them waferthin without 1 tear. That nakiri is simple but refined. And holy, ie. made for one purpose.

My DP5 (would that be 'digital player'? that I bought after the Tempotec) reads sd- card, HD, network, BT etc and has it's own dac. So data is transported internally (not saying there's no jitter at all!) or to an external dac in whatever tickles your fancy (including i²s which the Ares doesn't have) but I find usb works best. So thats my choice and my preference.

Furthermore it is not just my belief or idee fixe. I've been in audio for 4 decades almost and actively listen to music. I'm not just playing some tunes while I'm at my desk. That little Tempotec pushing DSD is simply the best source I ever used. Besides vinyl that is (and a lot of them aren't better) and my android phone which is almost the same. CD isn't better, android tv is not better, i don't even use a pc anymore (and I wouldn't hook that up to my stereo anyway because it's just plain noisy, in dB). Maybe reel to reel would be better but i don't want it because it's bulky and expensive.

Apr 17, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #2,184 of 3,909
if anyone is still on the fence whether they want MQA or feel left out with the Ares, here's a clip of a guy who managed to shoe in test sounds into his 'indie' recording publications on Tidal. This way he could test what MQA is really doing and if its worth your money. This will cure you...

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #2,186 of 3,909
Wow. I just noticed Qobuz went live in Aus and NZ just recently. Time to move over!

Apr 17, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #2,187 of 3,909
Ares II now sold, listened to it until it was picked up. Back to RME ADI-2 and music sounds good but somehow lifeless... My Venus is a few days away, can't wait to get back to R2R m
Did you get the Venus yet?
And the Raspberry Pi is not a PC of sorts? If you use it without an audiophile add-on card the USB output is arguably worse than a regular PC'.
I have a bunch of Pi3's in my home but it's not ideal for audio due to a shared bus.

I will have to say I am not adventurous in going with a pi streamer. However I have a gut feeling that feeding a Pi4 with a linear power supply and taking that usb port's signal and feeding a re-clocking ddc to be as good as a $$$$$$ streamer.

If you have Qobuz I'd suggest spending the money on ROON. I have been resistant but now after using Roon Radio.....OMG I cannot stop playing music. Even though I still feel my Audirvana software sounds better, I still use roon for it's incredible radio. Grab your favourite artist and it will hunt for similar styles.

Unfortunately I am stuck with Tidal due to the use of Audirvana and Roon.

Today I got my 2nd Mutec unit so I'm essentially feeding jitter free signal to a 2nd unit. I do not have such testing equipment but I am hoping Tidals garbage MQA and fake lossless feed will have some removal of this square wave ringing. This is purely my speculation and wishful thinking. However, #2 mutec daisy chained is no joke or justification, it's pure elevation of SQ vs using just one unit.

Apr 18, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #2,188 of 3,909
Did you get the Venus yet?

If you have Qobuz I'd suggest spending the money on ROON. I have been resistant but now after using Roon Radio.....OMG I cannot stop playing music. Even though I still feel my Audirvana software sounds better, I still use roon for it's incredible radio. Grab your favourite artist and it will hunt for similar styles.

Unfortunately I am stuck with Tidal due to the use of Audirvana and Roon.
Not yet, it is transit for the next few days still... Hope to get it before the next weekend.

Using Roon and loving it. Works great with Qobuz, too. To my ears, Qobuz sounds better than the super-duper-abracadabra MQA fairy dust sprinkled Tidal. Since I quit Tidal I don't feel like the weird kit that does not have the right toy to play with the rest of the squad, as there's no MQA hardware required for Qubuz :)

Apr 22, 2021 at 7:45 PM Post #2,190 of 3,909
Got my Venus II yesterday. I have to say, loved the Ares II to bits but if that one's a 10, the Venus is a 17, at least! Wider stage, more detail, 3d positioning and holographic presentation, all cranked up to amazing levels. I am talking about speakers listening, didn't get to plug in my cans or IEMs yet because this is just so addictive. Can't stop listening, anything I play seems like a new song, with voices and instrumental details I had no idea are there, and that in songs I have been listening to for decades. Great job, Denafrips!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back