DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jul 1, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #1,486 of 3,907
I've got mine today and as first impression - I don't hear any difference with Audio-DG NFB28 wich has Sabre 9018 on board. May be Ares will sound different in next few days or week, who can confirm this? does Ares sound different after burn?
Could be the rest of the system, the source files or your hearing.
Ares 2 sounds better after burn-in, but if you're not hearing an immediate difference, then you've definately got a problem.

Jul 1, 2020 at 11:58 PM Post #1,487 of 3,907
My Note 9+ worked flawlessly with my Ares.
Thank you. See, worried about nothing... Half the world has an Android phone but they 'forget' to mention that it works on Android OS. Suffer the thought that you might use the ubiquitous Android phone as a source for HD high end music playback :rolling_eyes:

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #1,488 of 3,907
I've got mine today and as first impression - I don't hear any difference with Audio-DG NFB28 wich has Sabre 9018 on board. May be Ares will sound different in next few days or week, who can confirm this? does Ares sound different after burn?

there is quite a difference in dac's. But like anything; you won't notice it at first. It takes a bit of training to discern the difference. That doesn't mean that the difference is small or meaningless you need to listen for different things that you're not used to pay attention to otherwise with other transducers or sources. Since the frequency curve is always flat with dac's, that's what you normally notice while appreciating headphones or speakers. You need to listen for spatial clues like; ' where is the singer standing' is he big cloud or small point, is there a halo of tizz around him or does he appear from a black background, how wide and deep is the soundstage etc. Try to get to listen to an acoustic setting of real life singers or musicians. Then put on some classical music and try to tell if that is like the acoustic setting. The Ares will sound subdued and lacklustre compared to the added detail spotlight and sparkle of the 9018 but that is not natural. With the Ares the sound will be just 'there'.

Appreciating the fine things in life always takes some training. But when you notice the difference you will have found a delight that you do not want to live without.

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:53 AM Post #1,489 of 3,907
No disrespect to the previous poster but the difference between the Ares II and the NFB28 should be very obvious. If you provide some details about how you have it connected to your source (computer) and the software you are using to play music perhaps we can help. This should not be a subtle difference. I am guessing you are using the Stax headphones? Do you have any other headphones on hand? Please provide some details and we will try to help.

Jul 2, 2020 at 2:40 AM Post #1,490 of 3,907
Jul 2, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #1,491 of 3,907
I am close to buying the Ares II but I suddenly realise, I don't know if it'll work if I plug my phone or Tempotec V1 (Hiby) in to that FPGA USB receiver. I love my V1 since it's quiet and sends bit perfect DSD over the USB. I know I can use the toslink and coax but the Ares only accepts DSD-Dop and that doesn't sound as good as native (I can tell).

As far as I can tell there is no Android driver, but Thesycon states that Mac-OS and Linux have built-in driver. So does Android have that too? I haven't used a PC in years.

Logically I would say, if the V1 or Android via Hiby software sends a bit perfect Dsd-64 signal, that would be the same as what the windows driver does: make that exact same direct out signal.

In short: can I plug my Android in to the USB? Has anyone tried? It works on any USB I've tried so far (xmos, tenor etc)
@]eep
I use this. Works fine from my phone (Xiaomi Mi Max2) Android through HibyMusic, the phone (usb port) should support usb otg. I use a short cable usb (75cm) for this. The HibyMusic player uses direct access to an external device via usb, excluding audio output through the Android mixer. Also, HibyMusic perfectly makes a direct conclusion of the DSD (64-256) stream bit by bit in the native mode.
Totally satisfied. Such a source is better than a noisy computer, I think.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #1,492 of 3,907
Could be the rest of the system, the source files or your hearing.
Ares 2 sounds better after burn-in, but if you're not hearing an immediate difference, then you've definately got a problem.
I left Ares for burning, but don't know how long it must be on this stage.. may be some changes will come after one week.. I heard this somewhere earlier in this thread.

If you provide some details about how you have it connected to your source (computer) and the software you are using to play music perhaps we can help. This should not be a subtle difference. I am guessing you are using the Stax headphones? Do you have any other headphones on hand? Please provide some details and we will try to help.
Sure, I listen to both from my PC that runs Tidal Master Player, NFB28 is connected via Optical Toslink, Ares is via USB. Then Ares connected via XLRs (Neotech UP-OCC cables) and NFB28 via RCA cables (Monolith USA) to the Stax 006tII amp with CCS-Mode plate. (CCS-plate controls the current on tubes with help of MOSFET transistors instead 30kOhm resistors in old Stax amp.), them Stax L500 headphones.
I thought Stax amp and headphones are so fast and detailed that I will hear any differences is sources.. or I just have to give a time to Ares to be burned.

But like anything; you won't notice it at first. It takes a bit of training to discern the difference. That doesn't mean that the difference is small or meaningless you need to listen for different things that you're not used to pay attention to otherwise with other transducers or sources.
I know what you mean and I was ready to detect such kind of things.. I am about a year in this Ares thread, but want to note I just started listening to Ares, may be all this things you described will come in next future. Actually I didn't listen to Ares more than one hour at all. Just first touch and test. I hope it will be more noticeable in future, but anyway thanks for help and wish to describe such a thin things.
Appreciating the fine things in life always takes some training. But when you notice the difference you will have found a delight that you do not want to live without.
This is absolutely true )). We all learn to understand our feelings.. This happens whole the life for someones... it is like to be a Tester man as professional.. feelings need to be learned and described ))

Jul 2, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,493 of 3,907
I left Ares for burning, but don't know how long it must be on this stage.. may be some changes will come after one week.. I heard this somewhere earlier in this thread

Sure, I listen to both from my PC that runs Tidal Master Player, NFB28 is connected via Optical Toslink, Ares is via USB. Then Ares connected via XLRs (Neotech UP-OCC cables) and NFB28 via RCA cables (Monolith USA) to the Stax 006tII amp with CCS-Mode plate. (CCS-plate controls the current on tubes with help of MOSFET transistors instead 30kOhm resistors in old Stax amp.), them Stax L500 headphones.
I thought Stax amp and headphones are so fast and detailed that I will hear any differences is sources.. or I just have to give a time to Ares to be burned.

I know what you mean and I was ready to detect such kind of things.. I am about a year in this Ares thread, but want to note I just started listening to Ares, may be all this things you described will come in next future. Actually I didn't listen to Ares more than one hour at all. Just first touch and test. I hope it will be more noticeable in future, but anyway thanks for help and wish to describe such a thin things.

This is absolutely true )). We all learn to understand our feelings.. This happens whole the life for someones... it is like to be a Tester man as professional.. feelings need to be learned and described ))
Tidal has 3 available quality choices. Make certain you choose lossless 44.1. Then set your Ares II to OS mode and select slow filter.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #1,494 of 3,907
How is the quality of Ares?
I have bad experience for service of long distance manufacture, ex, Kennerton
far away in Russia, I sent back a HP and it is still on its way after two weeks, and cost me $73 dollars.

Jul 2, 2020 at 3:43 PM Post #1,495 of 3,907
Make certain you choose lossless 44.1. Then set your Ares II to OS mode and select slow filter.
I can choose OS mode, but how 44.1? System choose rate automatically.. if the sound stream goes in 192kHz it means Ares works in 48kHz x4 mode.
Actually I thought NOS mode sounds more natural and "analog"...

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #1,496 of 3,907
That doesn't mean that the difference is small or meaningless you need to listen for different things that you're not used to pay attention to otherwise with other transducers or sources.

At times differences between DACs can be quite surprising in how audible they are. As with all things audio, it just takes a bit to get used to them.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 2, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #1,497 of 3,907
At times differences between DACs can be quite surprising in how audible they are. As with all things audio, it just takes a bit to get used to them.
That is true but a DAC has many parts and in dac's the output stage is very important. But we're not debating output stages here. Listening for changes caused by the actual dac-chip/array needs some getting used to (not to mention inputs). At first they all sound the same since the frequency response is ruler flat. But that's not what makes the difference in dac's, the vertical/amplitude. It's in the lateral, timing /phase purity. That takes an open mind and new training. That doesn't mean you didn't hear it before but that you didn't notice it. You feel it but you can't put your finger on it why you like it better.

Jul 2, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #1,498 of 3,907
I can choose OS mode, but how 44.1? System choose rate automatically.. if the sound stream goes in 192kHz it means Ares works in 48kHz x4 mode.
Actually I thought NOS mode sounds more natural and "analog"...
For what it's worth, I used to own the same Stax amp and headphones without the amp mod. I bought them years ago when they were sold as a set (might have been a promotion at the time). I sold them months later largely because I found them uncomfortable and they lacked bass. I am not a basshead, far from it, I listen mostly to classical music. At that time I owned other headphones and amps so that was my beginning and end to my Stax experience. I was not willing to spend much more on their higher gear to complete the experiment. I do not have Tidal so I cannot advise you on that but you are correct that if it is sending 192khz it should work fine on your Ares II and automatically indicate 4x mode. Your preference for NOS vs OS is entirely your choice. The mids and highs on your Stax are very resolving so if you cannot hear a difference between the two dacs on any music, in your case it would seem to be some other aspect of your chain. I have a Sabre 9018 dac around and I can hear the difference between the Sabre and the Ares II immediately. You could blindfold me and I would pick it out quickly. Not even close (I admit some people might prefer the sound of the Sabre dac). Something in your system is holding you back. One of the strongest features of the Ares II is the ability to create a 3D soundstage, wide and deep, with lots of air. If you are not getting that then something is wrong. Just my opinion.

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:55 AM Post #1,499 of 3,907
The mids and highs on your Stax are very resolving so if you cannot hear a difference between the two dacs on any music, in your case it would seem to be some other aspect of your chain. I have a Sabre 9018 dac around and I can hear the difference between the Sabre and the Ares II immediately. You could blindfold me and I would pick it out quickly. Not even close (I admit some people might prefer the sound of the Sabre dac). Something in your system is holding you back.
thank you, I will look for any single details in chain, and I will check Ares after it burn about 4-5 days.. may this also give changes in SQ.

I sold them months later largely because I found them uncomfortable and they lacked bass. I am not a basshead, far from it, I listen mostly to classical music. At that time I owned other headphones and amps so that was my beginning and end to my Stax experience.
I would definitely do the same if I not order modded pads from Vesper audio. I was very dissatisfied with the bass in Stax headphones, but with thick (2.5cm) lambskin pads the bass in Stax sounds just like in a normal dynamic headphones, this is "must have" feature in any rectangular Stax headphones.. (here is my review - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/vesper-audio-custom-earpads-impressions-thread.864077/post-15524690)

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #1,500 of 3,907
Who cares, life is empty and meaningless. Its a piece of metal and silicone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back