Denafrips Arce
Aug 3, 2023 at 12:28 AM Post #46 of 200
Using Mconnect , BubbleUpnp, Jriver and other DLNA/UPNP to ARCE STREAMER DLNA (16/44.1kHz), Denafrips' R&D department must improve the firmware to support DLNA (24/192KHz), DSD128 to achieve perfect sound quality.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #47 of 200
Now calling the Arce a "streamer"... hm.
Yes, you are right. Unfortunately, there are too many phrases used for only a few options.
Network streamer, network bridge, streamer DAC, (just) streamer, streamer transport, network player, etc.
Also, people often identify streaming with Tidal, Qobuz, Spotify, etc, whereas you can simply stream your own ripped CDs or bought files from your own server (Roon, UPNP, HQ Player Desktop) without subscription to any of the online services.

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:32 AM Post #49 of 200
IMO, this streamer is a work in progress, not a mature product at all.

Matt
It's not everyone's cup of tea and never will be. Alvin mentioned the POSSIBLE future developments.
For me, it is perfect as it is now, and have just placed an order. There is no point discussing further what's not in it because most of those things will never be. Just find another product.
The only things I'm hoping for are reliable operation and outstanding sound quality.

Aug 3, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #50 of 200
Here goes nothin'! Looking forward to seeing how this improves the digital portion of my system. Initially wanted a streamer with a touch screen, but don't mind continuing to use a Macbook/iPad.

Attachments

• Denafrips Arce Streamer Invoice..jpg
    Denafrips Arce Streamer Invoice..jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0
Aug 3, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #52 of 200
Agree, I can imagine to use Arce with a Macbook/Audirvana if the SQ is superior but please then with full DLNA support.

Matt
If this chain
Macbook --> Arce --> DAC

... yields better SQ compared to

Macbook --> Iris(DDC) --> DAC

... then it is all fine.

Aug 3, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #53 of 200
So is the Arce kind of like a network buffer between source and DAC?

Aug 3, 2023 at 9:47 PM Post #55 of 200
Ok so it's a network bridge (Thanks for the link, this is all new to me!) rather than a streamer. Perhaps Denefrips should change the description of the product?

"ARCE, the inaugural streamer of DENAFRIPS, designed with a primary focus on delivering an exceptional sound quality experience."​

Aug 4, 2023 at 2:54 AM Post #57 of 200
IMO, this streamer is a work in progress, not a mature product at all.

Matt
I agree. Saying they left out native Tidal & Quboz support because of sound quality is ridiculous. Aurender, Auralic, HiFi Rose and far further up the food chain have all managed to have native Quboz/Tidal support and prioritize SQ.

Denafrips simply hasn’t figured it out and should say that rather than hide their ignorance behind a sound quality shield.

Aug 4, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #58 of 200
I agree. Saying they left out native Tidal & Quboz support because of sound quality is ridiculous. Aurender, Auralic, HiFi Rose and far further up the food chain have all managed to have native Quboz/Tidal support and prioritize SQ.
Denafrips simply hasn’t figured it out and should say that rather than hide their ignorance behind a sound quality shield.
I must confess that I absolutely dislike streamers built mainly for Roon.
They say their top priority is SQ, but SQ is not the top priority for Roon.
It might work with Audirvana Studio up to 16/44.1, so high res from Qobuz seems not to be possible.
Indeed this unit is for Roon and HQ Player users only.
Bravo.

Matt

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #59 of 200
I must confess that I absolutely dislike streamers built mainly for Roon.
They say their top priority is SQ, but SQ is not the top priority for Roon.
It might work with Audirvana Studio up to 16/44.1, so high res from Qobuz seems not to be possible.
Indeed this unit is for Roon and HQ Player users only.
Bravo.

Matt
HQPlayer is an upsampling wizard, primarily focused on DSD. With no USB input on the ARCE, it is hamstrung for upsampling. Few HQP users would buy this. And Roon users, of which I’m one, are a small piece of the pie due to cost.

And the name ARCE is poorly chosen, so close to arse for those unfamiliar with its Greek pronunciation. Kiss my ARCE rolls out far too easily :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back