Demo music to test or show off your headphones
Aug 29, 2010 at 2:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Pradeep

New Head-Fier
I've ordered the Sennheiser HD650. Want to know about some audiophile recordings which I can use to show off my headphones to laymen/non-audiophile/casual listeners/people like my parents.

I've downloaded lot of High Res audiophile FLAC files like
1. B&W very high audiophile recordings(just fell in love with Allan Taylor's colour to the moon, one sexy, deep, masculine voice he's got),
2. FIM classical reference 1,
3. Bela Fleck's Throw down your heart,
4. Elgar Holsts planets,
5. nordic sound 2L,
6. Steely Dan audiophile mega pack,
7. mudcrutch mudcrutch audiophile CD,
8. Mcintosh audiophile test reference,
9. True audiophile best of groove note,
10. Allan Taylor Behind the mix,
11. Tool Lateralus
12. Eric Claption Unplugged

If you think there is some music which sounds best on the HD650 please suggest me. Or some music which serves as a demo to show off the prowess of the HD650. I want something to show off my headphones. People should say the investment is worthy after listening to that music on my HD650, something like that. I'm guessing some vocals/ songs with low end bass, RnB maybe.

Aug 29, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 24
  I would like to suggest listening to the Chevelle Album: Vena Sera.  I think personally that is one of the best mastered CDs I have heard in a while.  It is full and lush and brings a bunch of different dynamics to the listening spectrum.

I listen to a lot of different types of music from country to metal, and I like to listen through my rokit6 studio monitors and my Triple.fis that I recently broke.  But I use that CD to gauge the lushness and sound stage of my phones.

I also second the Lateralus CD.  

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #4 of 24
Alice in Chains Unplugged.  You can hear the wood of Jerry Cantrel's guitar vibrate when he pulls on the strings.  Very good recording as well as some exceptional musicianship. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 24
Hotel California

The version by The Gypsy Kings. The flamenco guitar sound is just so juicy. If your phones can tear the detail out of it there is an astounding amount to be had.

Pergolesi: Stabat Mater

Recorded almost as much as the 4 Seasons, but the version by Andreas Scholl, Barbara Bonney Les Talens Lyriques conducted by Christophe Rousset is just breathtaking.

Oldish recording of Beethoven's 5th Emperor Piano Concerto.

Murray Perahia and the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra conducted by Bernard Haitink. This just kills any other version stone dead.

As a matter of fact, if you are ever getting any orchestral music, see if you can get the Dutchmen playing it. They are very good indeed.

Amadeus Soundtrack CD, and especially the Masonic Funeral Music on the second collection. Far and away the most emotional thing ever written.

Alabama 3

Exile on Coldharbour Lane. Brilliant tunes, brilliantly played. Fat old analogue synths, mile deep bass, incredibly eclectic even within the one album.

Then you can get all the other Alabama 3 CDs. You'll just have to.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #8 of 24
Khachaturian's Violin Concerto, third movement
Performed by Julia Fischer. The festiveness is breathtaking. I honestly love every concerti that Khachaturian; hope that he wrote more of them...

Moszkowski's Piano Concerto
This is my favorite piano concerto of all time. Strange that this is such a neglected work: There aren't many recordings to choose from.

Oct 6, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #9 of 24
  • Norah Jones - What Am I To You?
  • Norah Jones - Those Sweet Words
  • Celine Dion - If That's What It Takes
  • Celine Dion - I Don't Know
  • Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven (Unplugged)
  • Eric Claption - Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out (Unplugged)
  • Pretty much the whole Eric Clapton Unplugged CD, actually.
  • Jewel - Who Will Save Your Soul
  • Jewel - You Were Meant For Me
  • Jewel - Foolish Games
  • Madonna - Like A Prayer
  • Paris Combo - Mobil' homme
  • Radiohead - Karma Police
  • Santana - Soul Sacrifice
  • Santana Jingo
  • Michael Jackson - Beat It

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:07 PM Post #13 of 24

Quote:
Just have your friends bring their favorite CDs over.

Another agree vote here. Try as I might, I just can't get my friends to care about a fantastic recording of Holst's The Planets or whatever. When I had my M50s I cued up "Welcome Home" by Coheed and Cambria and watched my friend's eyes bug out of his head.

Oct 28, 2010 at 5:26 PM Post #14 of 24

Quote:
Sage advise. True test of any sound system, if you can make them go 'wow' by listening to their own favorite music.

You run the risk of them bringing over something like Death Magnetic or an Amy Winehouse CD that has bass that is so clipped it will make a good headphone sound like it is broken.

It's a good idea to have your own demo CDs already selected.  CDs that cover a range of genres and styles.  CDs that are well recorded.  You can pull some tricks though.  For example, if you know they like AC/DC you can get an early edition first mastering.  They've likely never heard a version that hasn't been remastered and loudnessed.  They'll think the improvement in sound and dynamics is all due to your killer headphone/stereo system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back