[deleted]
Nov 6, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #31 of 46
The power needs of headphones are dependent on impedance and sensitivity. http://shure.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2991/~/understanding-earphone-%2F-headphone-specifications

You might be fine with the Schiit Fulla with the K7XX. Depends on your listening habits. It's not complicated, though. You would just need a more powerful headphone amp.

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #32 of 46
My listening habits are "loud but not breaking my ears loud" if that's what you're thinking.

Running my Shure SRH440's at max volume out of the iPhone 5S is about as loud as I get.

Which I think is still louder than most people but certainly not as loud as some crazy people seem to go.

Are there any other DAC/AMP combos I should be aware of then?

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #33 of 46
Dunno what it really means or have anything to compare it to, but on the Fulla:

16 ohms: 250mW RMS per channel
32 ohms: 200mW RMS per channel
50 ohms: 175mW RMS per channel
300 ohms: 40mW RMS per channel

The K7XX is apparently 62 ohms.

Sooo yeah... Anyway, is there any others I should know of?

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #34 of 46
  Dunno what it really means or have anything to compare it to, but on the Fulla:

16 ohms: 250mW RMS per channel
32 ohms: 200mW RMS per channel
50 ohms: 175mW RMS per channel
300 ohms: 40mW RMS per channel

The K7XX is apparently 62 ohms.

Sooo yeah... Anyway, is there any others I should know of?

For comparison's sake, the amp I'm using with the K7xx is rated for 1000mW into 32 Ohms, but I only turn the volume knob up to 9-10 o'clock, so there is so much headroom for volume.  I'll be running it on a much higher end amp/DAC in a month or two (Parasound ZDac v.2, unless I get a deal on something better) to see how well it really scales.

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #35 of 46

For comparison's sake, the amp I'm using with the K7xx is rated for 1000mW into 32 Ohms, but I only turn the volume knob up to 9-10 o'clock, so there is so much headroom for volume.  I'll be running it on a much higher end amp/DAC in a month or two (Parasound ZDac v.2, unless I get a deal on something better) to see how well it really scales.

And what "o clock" does it really start out at?

Doing the math, the Fulla is 1/5th the power of your's. So assume you need 5x the level. on the fulla. Does the knob even turn that far is the question. It would likely be maxing out the Fulla I suppose, if it even reaches that volume you're at at all.

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #36 of 46

And what "o clock" does it really start out at?

Doing the math, the Fulla is 1/5th the power of your's. So assume you need 5x the level. on the fulla. Does the knob even turn that far is the question. It would likely be maxing out the Fulla I suppose, if it even reaches that volume you're at at all.

It starts at around 7:00 and ends at around 4:00, like with most amps with rotary knobs (more or less).

Nov 6, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #37 of 46
In that case the Fulla would theoretically reach 3/5ths of your current listening level. 7 clock to 10 oclock is 3 units. 7 to 4 would be 9 units. The Fulla would need 15 units to reach the 5/5 to match your listening level, which is over the limit. This could've been known before I even asked there the starting point was, being that 15 units is more than the 12 (more like 11.5) maximum possible units I imagine there can be on a dial. That is, speaking in terms of "o clock" measurements.

I suppose I need a better amp then.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:08 PM Post #39 of 46
In that case the Fulla would theoretically reach 3/5ths of your current listening level. 7 clock to 10 oclock is 3 units. 7 to 4 would be 9 units. The Fulla would need 15 units to reach the 5/5 to match your listening level, which is over the limit. . . .

No. It doesn't work quite like that. Different amps may reach max volume at different points on the dial.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #41 of 46
No. It doesn't work quite like that. Different amps may reach max volume at different points on the dial.

Right but even if it was further up it'd be irrelevant, the absolute max would be 12 units (at which point the dial begins to turn into itself. I've seen really old dials where that's possible but I don't think they make them like that anymore), which would be 4/5ths of the level.

That is of course, assuming he listens to them at a good level I'd like personally and it's all purely theoretical based on the current output but I'm not well read into it all.

Fair point though, but I kept being told a w hile back that Fiio wasn't good, is that untrue? I think they may have had a bias against it being "chinese crap" though.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #42 of 46
You know what? I think you're worrying about the amp too much. You want a portable DAC/amp? How small?
Cozoy Astrapi/Shozy Lancea is so small that you can bring it along everyday, works with smartphone that supports OTG and laptop.

As for headphones.
I owned a K7XX and while it wasn't built the best, but is a great headphones for all-rounder which includes J-rock/electro, dance music, classical, instrumental and denpa.
Whatever you get would not go wrong IMO, if you don't worry too much.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #43 of 46
There's a few issues. Firstly, that 1000mw power spec was likely only possible in high gain, something people might not actually be using. Power will be much less at low gain usually. And the other thing is the volume control isn't linear. Ultimately, if your concern is loudness, I would be surprised if the fulla wasn't enough for you. I'm using something even less powerful with my k7xx. I feel you could also use a fiio e10k, which is a little bit quieter than a fulla, but gives you the gain switch that helps a lot with keeping volume reasonable for sensitive headphones.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:27 PM Post #44 of 46
The E12 is pretty well respected as a cheap powerhouse with decent sound... you'd have to go up to the Cayin C5 to get any improvement. 200mW into the K7XX is about the minimum I'd recommend, though my Q701's sound great out of my phone at probably 75+mW (just a guess).

Maybe start with the headphones, and add a DAC/amp later. The K7XX is even more sensitive than my Q701's, so that helps.

Nov 6, 2015 at 5:43 PM Post #45 of 46
Right but even if it was further up it'd be irrelevant, the absolute max would be 12 units (at which point the dial begins to turn into itself. I've seen really old dials where that's possible but I don't think they make them like that anymore), which would be 4/5ths of the level.

That is of course, assuming he listens to them at a good level I'd like personally and it's all purely theoretical based on the current output but I'm not well read into it all.

Well, better off not making up your own science/engineering theory. As mindbomb pointed out to you, volume dials are not linear. I'll say it again. "It doesn't work quite like that." LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back