Dekoni x HIFIMAN Cobalt (Tour info here)
May 10, 2023 at 11:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18
*Update 8/25
The Cobalt tour now has a coupon! Use "CobaltTour" for $50 off the Cobalt at DekoniAudio.com
We're still moving through stops and hope to get the cobalt in the hands of more reviewers!

*Update 6/13
The tour is underway, here are the first stops:
1. dilbertprogrammer
2. darmanastartes
We will be updating you as the tour moves throughout the United States! Cheers!

Finally, we have arrived! I’m excited to share the new Dekoni X Hifiman Cobalt. Before I go over information regarding the Headphone Tour let's talk about the features of the Dekoni Cobalt.

Cobalt pic 3.png

I approached the project with Hifiman with the idea of creating a Hifiman that sounded different from what they already offered in their lineup of headphones. As I was completing my sentence I was offered a new driver utilizing a Carbon Coated diaphragm. Say no more - I signed up!

Build
Lightweight at three hundred and eighteen grams housed in a plastic shell, the Cobalt uses the existing Hifiman housing to create compatibility across the Hifiman Dynamic lineup using the same ear pad mount as the other Hifiman Dynamic headphones. It makes our earpads interchangeable with many other Hifiman favorites.

I specifically opted to use the monoblock foam headband as it offered a studier yoke system for the headphone. Because of how lightweight and how much heavy lifting the earpads do in terms of seating them on your head, it feels more like it's hugging the top of your head than pushing down on it.

Behind the driver is a more cavernous space with a sheet of foam to handle standing waves and reflections. Because of the acoustic space in the interior, it's easy to add density and foam for modding purposes.

The installed ear pads are angled fenestrated sheepskin ear pads. These allow sound pressure venting to tame the brightness of the headphones. They offer a wide ear hole that sits the ear comfortably away from the driver and keeps ears from touching the edges of the ear pad. With a large amount of ear space, it adds to the acoustics of the headphones offering a resolving stereo image that pushes the boundaries of sound staging in a closed-back design.

Included in the box are also Dekoni Elite Velour pads. These pads were a part of the original design for the Cobalt. With a deeper angle and a more porous material, these pads will open up the sound signature to boost the crispness in the higher frequency content of the cobalt. We decided to include these earpads as a bonus and to help people start their pad-rolling journey.

Cobalt1.png

Sound
The bright-sounding Dekoni Cobalt is designed for its contrast with the warm bass Dekoni Blue. The baseline of the headphone hobby is having different headphones that do various things, which is why I was excited to utilize a Dynamic driver in contrast to the Planar drivers inside the Blue.
The Cobalt is a brighter headphone, with a bass roll-off starting at forty hertz. The low mids still warm up basslines for critical listening without bloat in the bottom. They sit a few dB above the bass for more front-and-center vocals allowing the high-frequency content to be crisp and reverberant.

The stereo Imaging is phenomenal because of the wide acoustic space the earpads and shell offer. In specific tracks, you will hear the complete contrast between the left and right channels. The instruments will be able to separate in each ear cup with non-existent cross-talk.

Soundstage in a closed back? Yes, there is a bit of a soundstage for the cobalt but it's at its limitations inside of a closed-back shell. Well, mixed programs will find themselves sitting shortly outside the ear space of the Cobalt. Enthusiasts and audiophiles alike will enjoy the Cobalts’ attempt to widen the instrumental soundstage of each channel.

Included in the box
Inside the box is a rubberized cable (Don’t worry, it's not stiff) with dual 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable with a gold plated 3.5mm to 6.35mm adapter.

Also included are the Dekoni Audio Elite Velour earpads, Dylan’s choice of earpad for the cobalt. The elite velour pads will be an added extra inside of the box. What's the reason for this? At Dekoni Audio we are enthusiasts of modding headphones. A second set of ear pads makes ear pad rolling more easily accessible and allows the user to hear the sonic differences ear pads can create. Due to an office poll, fenestrated beat out velour. I still insisted on having my favorite pads in the box, especially since I spent so much time designing them.

The Elite Velour pads, or the “Analytical ear pads” are once again bright but offer a punchier upper bass region for a little more presence. The ear pads have a deeper depth and will provide a mildly larger acoustic space over the Fenestrated Sheepskin ear pads.

Cobalt2.png

The Graphs
I can hear the comments now “This doesn’t adhere to the Harman Target?”. My response? Let us look at the graphs below!

cobalt all.png

It's in contrast to our offering of the Dekoni Blue! The Cobalt has a tremendous standalone sound signature for more acoustic tracks or even some busier “midrangey” metal. But don't worry, Dekoni is a modding company! In production are foam baffles that sit around the driver of the Cobalt to offer a boost in bass response more in line with more commonly enjoyed frequency responses. This baffle increases the bass response by about 3dB or 50% louder for those looking for the feeling of sub bass in their cans. Pair it with Ifi Xbass or the unreleased DMS bass jack for those looking to have their shoelaces untied with bass.

Tech specs:
16Ω, 101dB sensitivity
45mm dynamic transducer
20-20kHz
318g (with fenestrated pads)

Cobalt4.png

Headphone Tour
We are ready to start up the Cobalt Headphone tour now! Check out the link below and put your name in the hat to be featured on the Tour.

It will take the next week or so to get it organized and then begin! Two final production units will go out based on the number of signups

Please use the Google form below to be considered.

Google Form - Cobalt Tour

The Dekoni Cobalt is now available at DekoniAudio.com for $499.

Come back to Head-Fi on Monday May 15th for information about our Dekoni Cobalt giveaway.
*US residents only

Last edited:
Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
May 10, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 18
I'm interested in this tour -- intriguing FR curve -- but the form requires a Google sign-in, and I am not interested in connecting my Head-Fi account to an account tracked by Google. Is there any other way to sign up?

May 10, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #5 of 18
Is anyone able to describe what these sounds like? I read the FR it seems ok....????? Probably mid bassy???? Looks like it has decent amount of energy around 1k ~ 3k???? Dekoni describe them as "bright" headphone, Zeos describe them as "without the foam insert = bad, with foam insert = great".

But after all that I still have no clue what these sounds like....??????? Sorry but this sounded a bit like me reading a novel of 3-5 pages describing what the room looks like but character/story/plot wise I've learned nothing LOL.

Otherwise excited to see everyone's review once this is on tour! :smiley::thumbsup:

EDIT: Nevermind I watched the 2nd video here and that gave a bit more impression, I guess it's going towards the clean/sharp/splashy sounding route. I guess as they said directly compete with HD600.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #9 of 18
all good with the pads, and the cups, but the headband of those models gives me headaches, can it be upgraded to another like arya?
Or just the "newly enhanced" HE400i headband, that you can put on HE6seV2 for 10x better comfort.

Last edited:
May 20, 2023 at 7:56 PM Post #14 of 18
Hi guys, I got to check out the Dekoni Cobalt! The headphone driver is surprisingly very detailed check out my review here!

Thanks for the nice review! I feel like everyone's been sitting on the fence and no one want to jump in blind.

This actually intrigued me since I've been looking for a vocal forward closed back for a while. Might pick one up down the road. Thanks!!!

Jul 29, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #15 of 18
Dekoni Cobalt Review

I received the Dekoni Cobalt as part of the tour for the headphone and I think Dekoni needs to do some refinement for their next design.

How I listened

My chain for the Cobalt was a MiniDSP SHD Studio > Soekris 1541 > SMSL VMV A1/ Magni Piety/ Headout of SHD Studio
I generally listen to film and game soundtracks, EDM, and the odd daft punk track.

Build and comfort
This is for the most part the same build as every other hifiman headphone until you reach the Arya, and I've never been a fan of this design. The headband is uncomfortable and all the plastic points feel cheap, and with the cups being made of the same plastic it really doesn't inspire confidence. Dekoni likely couldn't do anything about this so i'll give them some credit where it's due, the best feeling thing about this headphone is by far the pads. Very comfortable, nice and plus, dekoni knows how to make pads.

Sound

This headphone does not really have anything spectacular going on in any regard sonically. I tried this headphone first with the velour pads, and with the velour pads it's not awful. It's not good, but it's extremely muddy and feels like it's lacking detail. Switching to the perforated sheepskin pads turns this headphone into maybe the worst headphone I've used ever, it adds something to the midrange that makes everything sound extremely nasal and all dynamic range dissapears and turns into absurd compression.

In conclusion, I'm really not sure how dekoni see's it fit to release this headphone, I've met the folks running dekoni at CanJam and they seemed like great people with great taste in headphones that all sound vastly better than the cobalt. The next headphone needs work, because this one isn't it. I really appreciate Dekoni for sending this out for a tour, I hope the next headphone takes advantage of your pads better than this one did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back