Dekoni pad massdrop for HD800(S) - any advice?
Jul 13, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #16 of 35
I did that with the sheepskin and hybrid pads. Prefer the hybrid pads over the sheepskin.
Prefer the hybrid over stock as well.
What sound differences were there with the hybrid if any? And what did the sheepskin sound like comparatively?
Im thinking of going for a pair soon, and I love all leather, but I obviously want uncompromised sound

Jul 13, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #17 of 35
What sound differences were there with the hybrid if any? And what did the sheepskin sound like comparatively?
Im thinking of going for a pair soon, and I love all leather, but I obviously want uncompromised sound
Soundwise the alleen leather pad is a bit compressed in sound compared to stock and hybrid. Comfort wise it's a bit hotter. Both are outstanding quality, but you should expect that for that price.

Jul 13, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #18 of 35
Soundwise the alleen leather pad is a bit compressed in sound compared to stock and hybrid. Comfort wise it's a bit hotter. Both are outstanding quality, but you should expect that for that price.
And how did the hybrid compare to the stock pads for sound? I think i might go the hybrid route if its close to the stock sound

Jul 14, 2018 at 6:43 AM Post #20 of 35
It is very easy to switch pads on hd800.

To take off, just use that tool provided by dekoni. Stick it to am opening to create a gap between the pad and the headphone. Then turn the pad around a bit and then just use your hand to pry off the pad.

To put the pad, 1st thing is to find the correct position. then just press till you hear 'click'. Press around the pad to make sure the whole pad is inserted.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #21 of 35
I also found the pads to be very easy to change.

I tried Sheepskin, Fenestrated, and Hybrid pads. Bar far my favorite was the sheepskin, without the stock dust cover. This combination raised the detail level of my 800S to just amazing levels. I have a pretty high end system, and this combination brought out far more nuance and detail than the hybrid or fenestrated pads. So while I know my preference seems to be opposite of many here, the benefit in my system is so great that I won't be getting rid of my sheepskin pads or putting the stock dust cover back in anytime soon.

Jul 14, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #22 of 35
I want to put another vote in for the Dekoni Sheepskin pads. Much thanks to @shyamwanne for responding to my message to help solidify my choice. Another factor is that I have switched to hybrid pads on previous headphones in the past and loss of bass and thinner sound tend to be the case. With HD800/S, that is something we definitely don't want. That opinion was affirmed by the one review I found on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/83q0j9/dekoni_earpads_for_sennheiser_hd_800_s_with/. So I decided against Fenestrated and Hybrid and bought the Sheepskin pads.

First of all, the pads change is very easy. It took me longer to remove the old pads than snapping the new ones on. All took less than a minute. I didn't even use the tool provided. T he key for removal is, first removing the dust cover which allows you to slide your finger under the pads to lift up. I am not using the original dust cover for the opinion below.

My immediate impression with the new pads is "hey, this sounds good" and did not feel at all the sound had changed for worse. Upon further listening, I would summarize the sound with the sheepskin by saying that there being more focus in the various aspects - bass, vocal, separation of instrument, etc. Lastly, it also feels more comfortable to wear now.

5D1_6354.jpg

Aug 1, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #27 of 35
I am very interested in how the sheepskin pads change the sound of the hd800's anyone had a chance to compare?
I have the Sheepskins that came with my HD800 SDR. Of all the differences in sound, my god did these brighten the hell out of everything. Like squinty-bright, just like they do on the TH-X00. Putting back on the stock earpads, they sounded much better to me.

I am awaiting my Hybrid pads.

Aug 3, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #28 of 35
I have the Sheepskins that came with my HD800 SDR. Of all the differences in sound, my god did these brighten the hell out of everything. Like squinty-bright, just like they do on the TH-X00. Putting back on the stock earpads, they sounded much better to me.

I am awaiting my Hybrid pads.
Let me know your impressions when they come in!

Aug 6, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #29 of 35
Had a pair of velour and a pair of sheepskins from the last massdrop arrive today. Cut off the thin layer of film on the dekoni pads and kept stock dust covers in. Impressions are on my unmodded HD800 (warning; I prefer a very bright sound, preferring unmodded over HD800S and SDR mod), wearing glasses, and compared stock pads that have been worn down over 5+ years of use

Velour;

Construction: soooo thick (1 extra o for each degree of thickness, literally about triple the thickness of worn stock pads) and comfortable, material is somewhat softer and less scratchy and less prone to catching my hair.

Sound: Sound is more distant but somewhat less airy. Soundstage seems to have shrunk a bit as a net result. I love detail, and had to up the amp to 1:30 oclock versus stock at 12 for the same level of clarity. Bass is ever so slightly more present but more muffled. I assume these are all a direct result of the drivers being further away from head.

Sheepskin;

Construction; Leather feels thin and somewhat plasticky, certainly not as 'premium' as the, say, audeze leather pads. This is to be expected I guess. Nice amount of conformity and formed a perfect seal around thick rimmed glasses.

Sound; I think this is a direct upgrade FOR ME. It gives a very slight elevation to the bass (i would estimate no more than 1dB, and do not expect the same tonality of HD800S bass), increased the clarity, and soundstage was relatively unaffected at 12 oclock. Imaging seems to be ever so slightly more pinpoint-accurate (is that even possible?). The net result can be perceived as 'brighter' than the stock HD800, perhaps reflected in the elevated treble in measurements, but I find that it is just right for me. I would attribute all these as a result of a better seal due to the better conformity of the pads.

I have also briefly auditioned a HD800S with fenestrated pads, and thought that it was relatively unchanged from stock HD800S. If anything the sound, especially lower mids to upper bass, was weaker and more scattered. I think all these observations are what are expected from measurements and materials. Overall, the build quality is good, not great, but it is cheaper than Senn's own replacements.

Aug 8, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #30 of 35
Has anyone tried any of their pads with the HD820 yet?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back