Dekoni pad massdrop for HD800(S) - any advice?
Dec 25, 2017 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-ear-pads-for-sennheiser-hd-800?mode=guest_open

So... easy to replace the pads? More comfort, better sound? Worse sound? Unpredictable sound?

Any suggestions or comments welcome....

banner_20171221155510.jpg

Jan 2, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3 of 35
Just bought the normal Sheepskin version. Seems like it is the one that changes the frequency response the most, compared to other versions. I am concerned about the rise in 4k and 6.5k region.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #4 of 35
I would also like to know how easy it is to remove the stock pads and install the Dekonis.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #5 of 35
I found them extremely easy to install, and IIRC that was the experience of other folks in the HD800 impressions thread who had them.

They are thicker than the stock pads, so they may increase clamping force and will increase the distance between your ear and the driver.

I got the velour ones and find them very comfortable. Sound change over stock pads is I think modest, positive, and in line with what Dekoni say they should sound like -- however take my impression with a grain of salt since I swapped the pads soon after buying my (well used) HD800.

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #7 of 35
Wonderful! So happy to hear that. :)

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #8 of 35
One more question (sorry to have hijacked this thread)... Do the Dekonis take away from the interior space offered by the stock HD800 pads? I'm not talking of depth, which seems to be increased, but rather the diameter of the opening (space AROUND the ear).

Jan 31, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #9 of 35
One more question (sorry to have hijacked this thread)... Do the Dekonis take away from the interior space offered by the stock HD800 pads? I'm not talking of depth, which seems to be increased, but rather the diameter of the opening (space AROUND the ear).

The opening for your ear is still enormous. However, the fabric lining will be a lot closer to your ear then the stock driver covers that are a separate piece of material. Your ear may rub up against that lining. (I imagine you could remove it easily enough if it was a problem though.)

Apr 9, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 35
Has anyone tried using the original dust cover and cutting the fabric out of the pads? I find that the stock dust cover helps to control a lot of reflections in the HD800 ear cups.
I think this would be a great experiment actually. Logically it seems cutting the dusk cover out of the center of the Dekoni pad, and leaving the original one in the headphone, would have the best sound.

I tried it without the the original dust cover and found the sound actually clearer and cleaner. The original dust cover is very thick, much thicker than the Dekoni. So I am using it with only the Dekoni now and like the sound much better.

I prefer the all leather version over the hybrid as well. It gives higher resolution in my opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #15 of 35
Has anyone tried using the original dust cover and cutting the fabric out of the pads? I find that the stock dust cover helps to control a lot of reflections in the HD800 ear cups.
I did that with the sheepskin and hybrid pads. Prefer the hybrid pads over the sheepskin.
Prefer the hybrid over stock as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back