Dekoni Fidelio X2 Choice Pads!
Apr 13, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #46 of 68
It's a problem with all of Philips headphones and why I won't be buying any more (despite me wanting to). You can't get stock replacement or 3rd party stock equivalents for the M1, M1MKII, M2, L1, L2, X1, X1s, X2, X2HR, X3. On the M and L lines, the way they sealed/glued the seams together didn't hold up, so even with light use, many of those have had the pads fall apart. It's a real shame as I really love all my Fidelios (I own M1, 3x M1MKII, L1, 2x L2, and X2HR). The L3 looks interesting, but I don't think I can bring myself to buy it given past experience and no way to replace the pads like for like.

Recently, there have been some pads on AliExpress for the M and L line that are similar to original, and will work given the lack of any other option. But the super soft pu leather and memory foam combo of the originals are still superior (given they're better assembled).

Apr 13, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #47 of 68
Classic Headfi thread.
step one: company comes out with a product that offers a solution to a problem the community has been complaining about for years
step two: half the posts in the thread are complaints about the new product that they haven't even tried yet.
How about y'all buy a set and see how you like them before you start in with the complaints?
Here's the zeos review if anyone is curious.

I disagree with Zeo's assessment regarding the X3 and choice leather pads. They do not flatten the sound at all, they raise the mid bass to the extent that they they sound a bit bloated. He even said that they sound like a $500 headphone now! LOL, but its more like a $15 headphone you find at a gas station or convenience store. He kept saying "Oh the detail!" "There's to much detail! I re-watched his review while wearing the X3s and CL pads and I laugh saying "What detail!?" his whole recording is very muffled with this combination. In fact I watched several other youtube videos and the vocals were all muffled. I watched a playthrough of the game Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. This game is unique for its sound design and ASMR binaural recordings, and I think the effect is diminished with the CL pads. The voices and whispers that float around your head sound distant and unnatural. And with music is they are practically unlistenable!

I also have the Suede since a "while". Personally I find them very comfy (small or small/medium head), but the sound is heavily affected.

The signature looses in width, natural, and refinement. It's more direct and intense, vocals have definitely more presence. Bass have less layers, maybe too round overall... Trebles are really softened. I preferred clearly the stock signature, but was disturbed by the pads : very dutch catching and not the best touch for the ears, but acceptable. I am stuck between a better comfort or a better sound quality. Also, I didn't have them for cheap, considering the shipping costs. Fortunately I had the X2HR for a great price, so all together I don't consider having spend tons of money.

I wished they kept a similar sound to the stock, while offering the same comfort.

I agree about the sued pads. With the X3, The highs are tamed a little which is a good thing. And the lower mids are slightly boosted and add extra warmth. But they bleed more into the bass region creating that "One-Note-Bass" effect. It doesn't sound bloated like the Choice Leather, but its just enough to miss the clarity that the original pads offer, so I find them to be a bit distracting while listening to some songs.
I believe that the X3s do need some refinement in some areas, but the Sued and CL pads do not offer any improvements over the original pads other than comfort.

Regarding the X2HR.
Often when I buy headphones I'll buy several of them just for comparison. And at the time I bought the X2HR, I also bought the HE-4XX and HD599. I decided to return the X2HR in favor of the HD599. They sound VERY similar. The only discernable difference being that the HD599 are more refined in the mids and have less bloat in the bass. They are still just as aggressive sounding as the X2HR, but I think the execution is better and also the comfort level is better. So for those of you looking for an improved X2HR please check out the Sennheiser HD599.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2021 at 5:38 AM Post #48 of 68
At the moment, I think about keeping my X2HR (with the Dekoni pads) because I plan to use it with a V Moda Boom for a gaming rig in the near future, and it would be a good combinaison, better than most gaming headphones actually.

Regarding the signature, yes the seal is quite tight and create this more intense sound and exactly what you described for the bass : "one-note effect". Overall, the X2HR becomes more like a semi-opened headphone with those new pads.

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #49 of 68
I don't understand Philips' policy of not caring about customers. Why does Philips not sell original Fidelio headphone pads in their authorized stores? Buying original Beyerdynamic pads is not a problem. Shame on you Philips! For me, replacing the pads that change the sound signature is not a solution.

Apr 21, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #50 of 68
I don't understand Philips' policy of not caring about customers. Why does Philips not sell original Fidelio headphone pads in their authorized stores? Buying original Beyerdynamic pads is not a problem. Shame on you Philips! For me, replacing the pads that change the sound signature is not a solution.

A small rant about Beyerdynamic:
Thier pads do not last long and in the US Beyerdynamic thy are impossible to find. They are never available on the Beyer US store or go out of stock shortly after the headphone releases and they never restock, so they have to be imported from the EU for ridiculous prices. And on top of that they'll change the build and materials of their pads without saying so and not change the model number. So once you spends $100 more on them and wait 2-4 weeks for them to arrive, you'll find out that they are not the same pads you are trying to replace!
People who bought the Beyerdynamic T5p in 2016, had a very different headphone than those who bought it in 2018. The original pads were larger, softer and plush. But then they replaced them with the pleather pads from the DT-1770 which are smaller, and more firm, and have a very different sound!

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #51 of 68
A small rant about Beyerdynamic:
Thier pads do not last long and in the US Beyerdynamic thy are impossible to find. They are never available on the Beyer US store or go out of stock shortly after the headphone releases and they never restock, so they have to be imported from the EU for ridiculous prices. And on top of that they'll change the build and materials of their pads without saying so and not change the model number. So once you spends $100 more on them and wait 2-4 weeks for them to arrive, you'll find out that they are not the same pads you are trying to replace!
People who bought the Beyerdynamic T5p in 2016, had a very different headphone than those who bought it in 2018. The original pads were larger, softer and plush. But then they replaced them with the pleather pads from the DT-1770 which are smaller, and more firm, and have a very different sound!
I live in Warsaw - Poland Europe. Buying genuine Beyerdynamic pads in Europe is easy. They are of the same quality as those bought together with the headphones. Philips does not sell its pads at all! When your Fidelio pads wear out, you need to buy new headphones. Or pad replacements that change the sound signature

Apr 29, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #52 of 68
I disagree with Zeo's assessment regarding the X3 and choice leather pads. They do not flatten the sound at all, they raise the mid bass to the extent that they they sound a bit bloated. He even said that they sound like a $500 headphone now! LOL, but its more like a $15 headphone you find at a gas station or convenience store. He kept saying "Oh the detail!" "There's to much detail! I re-watched his review while wearing the X3s and CL pads and I laugh saying "What detail!?" his whole recording is very muffled with this combination. In fact I watched several other youtube videos and the vocals were all muffled. I watched a playthrough of the game Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. This game is unique for its sound design and ASMR binaural recordings, and I think the effect is diminished with the CL pads. The voices and whispers that float around your head sound distant and unnatural. And with music is they are practically unlistenable!

I agree about the sued pads. With the X3, The highs are tamed a little which is a good thing. And the lower mids are slightly boosted and add extra warmth. But they bleed more into the bass region creating that "One-Note-Bass" effect. It doesn't sound bloated like the Choice Leather, but its just enough to miss the clarity that the original pads offer, so I find them to be a bit distracting while listening to some songs.
I believe that the X3s do need some refinement in some areas, but the Sued and CL pads do not offer any improvements over the original pads other than comfort.

Regarding the X2HR.
Often when I buy headphones I'll buy several of them just for comparison. And at the time I bought the X2HR, I also bought the HE-4XX and HD599. I decided to return the X2HR in favor of the HD599. They sound VERY similar. The only discernable difference being that the HD599 are more refined in the mids and have less bloat in the bass. They are still just as aggressive sounding as the X2HR, but I think the execution is better and also the comfort level is better. So for those of you looking for an improved X2HR please check out the Sennheiser HD599.
I've tried the X2 and X2HR with leather pads. Agree with you. Never again, it makes them a bass bloated mess. I can only imagine the X3 would follow suit. The vocals were completely muffled by the overwhelming bass bloom. I've had the suede Dekoni since Drop first sold them, they're the best of the replacement pads I've been able to find so far. Of course they change the sound signature, but as we all know any pad other than stock with do that.

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #54 of 68
I kept my old x1, as i found x2 treble not to my liking and a bit tinny but if these dekoni pads could reduce the muddiness in the x1 it would be perfect for me. Can anyone suggest what would be best or just wait for dekoni to bring out the velour pads? Or if there is another pad someone could recommend? Thanks

Apr 29, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #55 of 68
I kept my old x1, as i found x2 treble not to my liking and a bit tinny but if these dekoni pads could reduce the muddiness in the x1 it would be perfect for me. Can anyone suggest what would be best or just wait for dekoni to bring out the velour pads? Or if there is another pad someone could recommend? Thanks
I honestly don't think you'll ever fully get rid of the muddiness. Limitation of the driver. The X2 is quite muddy as well compared to other models.

Apr 29, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #57 of 68
Sure, i understand it has its limitations but as i need to replace the pads i was wondering what each material would change in the sound signature
Suede Dekoni will be a much better replacement than the leather. You could always go with Brainwavz XL Gaming Gel Suede. Other than that something like Brainwavz XL Velour (but be warned their velour is quite cheap and scratchy).

May 18, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #58 of 68
Well I'm not particularly hype about this development. I got my Dekoni pads delivered April 8th and I've noticed that one of the suede pads is coming apart.
0zDt9j5.jpg

It appears the suede is only glued into place as opposed to being mechanically secured by the design.
FvD3lUe.jpg

That's kind of a bummer for $50 replacement pads.

May 23, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #59 of 68
@DekoniAudio, I see on the website that there is a 2 year warranty on pads. I would think that the suede separating after less than 2 months would qualify as a defect, but I also don't know if warranty services would try to count that as "wear & tear from usage." Not sure if it's even worth trying to go through the whole contact process or not if it's just going to get rejected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back