Dekoni Fidelio X2 Choice Pads!
Feb 11, 2021 at 4:34 AM Post #16 of 68
Classic Headfi thread.
step one: company comes out with a product that offers a solution to a problem the community has been complaining about for years
step two: half the posts in the thread are complaints about the new product that they haven't even tried yet.
How about y'all buy a set and see how you like them before you start in with the complaints?
Here's the zeos review if anyone is curious.

I already know from experience exactly what non-velour materials that seal better against the face do to the sound of these headphones, and it sounds EXACTLY like the graphs released by Dekoni look: Bloated bass and low-mids, sucked-out upper-mids and treble. That's EXACTLY how the headphones sounded with the Brainwavz Suedes. For my personal taste, it ruined the sound. And Dekoni released graphs here showing EXACTLY how the pads change the stock sound, they're not even TRYING to hide the fact that these pads bloat the lows while sucking out the highs because they release measurements literally proving that they do. If I wanted headphones with that kind of signature I'd just get some from Meze or whatever.

But that's beside even being the point: Why not just make pads as identical as possible to the original stock pads? Why offer two materials neither of which is the material of the original stock pads? That literally doesn't make sense. Plenty of people want replacements that are as close to stock as possible. I don't need to try the new pads for that to be a valid point: There is literally no reason not to make pads that are identical to the original stock pads.

Aside from that, changing the material of pads WILL change the sound-signature. This is just basic audio-science because of how drivers are designed to work with particular enclosures and pads. It is impossible to make pads from a different material and have it not change the sound. I love the sound-signature of the X2HR's EXACTLY as it already is, why would I want a product that changes that?

Also no offense but people who take reviews of audio products seriously do not put any stock in Zeos' reviews, the guy is a shill who hypes just about everything to death.

"How about y'all buy a set," you say. How about no, since I don't feel like throwing away $40 on earpads that are anything other than the same material as the stock ones, because I have no desire for any sound other than the original stock sound?

Get back to me when Dekoni makes velour pads that preserve the stock sound for these like they should already be doing. Then they can get my money.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #17 of 68
I already know from experience exactly what non-velour materials that seal better against the face do to the sound of these headphones, and it sounds EXACTLY like the graphs released by Dekoni look: Bloated bass and low-mids, sucked-out upper-mids and treble. That's EXACTLY how the headphones sounded with the Brainwavz Suedes. For my personal taste, it ruined the sound. And Dekoni released graphs here showing EXACTLY how the pads change the stock sound, they're not even TRYING to hide the fact that these pads bloat the lows while sucking out the highs because they release measurements literally proving that they do. If I wanted headphones with that kind of signature I'd just get some from Meze or whatever.

But that's beside even being the point: Why not just make pads as identical as possible to the original stock pads? Why offer two materials neither of which is the material of the original stock pads? That literally doesn't make sense. Plenty of people want replacements that are as close to stock as possible. I don't need to try the new pads for that to be a valid point: There is literally no reason not to make pads that are identical to the original stock pads.

Aside from that, changing the material of pads WILL change the sound-signature. This is just basic audio-science because of how drivers are designed to work with particular enclosures and pads. It is impossible to make pads from a different material and have it not change the sound. I love the sound-signature of the X2HR's EXACTLY as it already is, why would I want a product that changes that?

Also no offense but people who take reviews of audio products seriously do not put any stock in Zeos' reviews, the guy is a shill who hypes just about everything to death.

"How about y'all buy a set," you say. How about no, since I don't feel like throwing away $40 on earpads that are anything other than the same material as the stock ones, because I have no desire for any sound other than the original stock sound?

Get back to me when Dekoni makes velour pads that preserve the stock sound for these like they should already be doing. Then they can get my money.
Like I said, typical headfi post... you haven't tried them, you refuse to even consider the opinion of a person who has actually heard the product, and you base your (completely speculative) opinion on a single graph. Cool, don't actually try them, don't listen to what others have to say about them, just keep pissing and moaning, that's what headfi is for, right?
As far as Zeos, yeah, he's not the greatest source, however he has HEARD them and he gives at least an impression as to how they affect the sound. (spoiler: the way you describe your imaginary impressions isn't the same as his actual impressions)
Why someone would go on and on complaining about something without having a lot of actual information is beyond me.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:54 AM Post #18 of 68
Like I said, typical headfi post... you haven't tried them, you refuse to even consider the opinion of a person who has actually heard the product, and you base your (completely speculative) opinion on a single graph. Cool, don't actually try them, don't listen to what others have to say about them, just keep pissing and moaning, that's what headfi is for, right?
As far as Zeos, yeah, he's not the greatest source, however he has HEARD them and he gives at least an impression as to how they affect the sound. (spoiler: the way you describe your imaginary impressions isn't the same as his actual impressions)
Why someone would go on and on complaining about something without having a lot of actual information is beyond me.

He says that they make the X2's sound more "fun." That means V-shaped and bassy. I do not want them to sound any more V-shaped than they already do. That's literally all I need to know in order to know they'll have the same effect as the other suede pads I tried, because that's EXACTLY what those pads did: Made them more V-shaped.

Feb 11, 2021 at 4:58 AM Post #19 of 68
He says that they make the X2's sound more "fun." That means V-shaped and bassy. I do not want them to sound any more V-shaped than they already do. That's literally all I need to know in order to know they'll have the same effect as the other suede pads I tried, because that's EXACTLY what those pads did: Made them more V-shaped.
ok...so can we anticipate you'll take your ball and go home now?

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #20 of 68
ok...so can we anticipate you'll take your ball and go home now?

No actually, because I want velour replacement pads. Which is not the least bit unreasonable. It seriously makes no sense that Dekoni would make replacement pads in any material OTHER than the one the stock pads use. They'd still be way more comfortable than the stock pads, because Dekoni uses higher quality velour than that on the stock pads.

Maybe you should stop being so condescending and let me be reasonable and ask for pads as identical to the stock pads as possible because that actually makes a lot of sense? And maybe you should admit that Zeos and other Youtube audio product reviewers are mostly trash because they make their living off of affiliate links and thus can't be trusted to be honest because they have a stake in making sure that people click on the affiliate links as much as possible?

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:06 AM Post #21 of 68
No actually, because I want velour replacement pads. Which is not the least bit unreasonable. It seriously makes no sense that Dekoni would make replacement pads in any material OTHER than the one the stock pads use. They'd still be way more comfortable than the stock pads, because Dekoni uses higher quality velour than that on the stock pads.

Maybe you should stop being so condescending and let me be reasonable and ask for pads as identical to the stock pads as possible because that actually makes a lot of sense? And maybe you should admit that Zeos and other Youtube audio product reviewers are mostly trash because they make their living off of affiliate links and thus can't be trusted to be honest because they have a stake in making sure that people click on the affiliate links as much as possible?
shhh we heard you, you want velour.

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #22 of 68
shhh we heard you, you want velour.

Ah of course, no response to me pointing out what garbage Zeos is as a reviewer and a person. "Typical Head-Fi thread," indeed, only this time from your end. Yep, conveniently ignore when I point something out that doesn't align with your own opinions even though the thing I pointed out is a majority consensus in the audiophile community among people who actually know what they're listening to and talking about. Everybody who takes this hobby seriously and has real knowledge of it knows that Zeos has massively hyped plenty of products that don't even sound good, and even ones that sound like crap. He's just a shill and can't be trusted. If you want me to BELIEVE that these pads are good, then wait until somebody who isn't a shill who makes his living off of affiliate links posts a review, okay?

Also yes, like many people I absolutely LOATHE his style of reviews because they are way longer than they need to be. The moron made a 30 minute video just so he could make points and describe conclusions that in actuality should take him a grand total of five to ten minutes if he actually had a brain in his head. It should not take 30 flipping minutes just to describe initial impressions of how earpad swaps change the sound of two headphones.

"As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases" -- Zeos

Translation: "I, the piece of subhuman garbage known as Zeos, cannot be trusted because I am a shill who hypes almost everything that I ever review since I make money when the stuff I review sells more."

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #23 of 68
Ah of course, no response to me pointing out what garbage Zeos is as a reviewer and a person. "Typical Head-Fi thread," indeed, only this time from your end. Yep, conveniently ignore when I point something out that doesn't align with your own opinions even though the thing I pointed out is a majority consensus in the audiophile community among people who actually know what they're listening to and talking about. Everybody who takes this hobby seriously and has real knowledge of it knows that Zeos has massively hyped plenty of products that don't even sound good, and even ones that sound like crap. He's just a shill and can't be trusted. If you want me to BELIEVE that these pads are good, then wait until somebody who isn't a shill who makes his living off of affiliate links posts a review, okay?

Also yes, like many people I absolutely LOATHE his style of reviews because they are way longer than they need to be. The moron made a 30 minute video just so he could make points and describe conclusions that in actuality should take him a grand total of five to ten minutes if he actually had a brain in his head. It should not take 30 flipping minutes just to describe initial impressions of how earpad swaps change the sound of two headphones.

"As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases" -- Zeos

Translation: "I, the piece of subhuman garbage known as Zeos, cannot be trusted because I am a shill who hypes almost everything that I ever review since I make money when the stuff I review sells more."
I hate having to prove you wrong friend, but I already said, and I'll quote myself directly, "As far as Zeos, yeah, he's not the greatest source"
I said it right up top, but you weren't paying close enough attention. I'm not a great fan of his or really any of the other reviewers, but as of now he's the only one that has heard them and has posted about it.
"if you want me to BELIEVE that these pads are good, then wait until somebody who isn't a shill who makes his living off of affiliate links posts a review, okay?"
I don't want you to believe anything in particular, I just want you to stop your baseless whinging and wait until you have more information before you post more. Heed your own advice maybe?

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:25 AM Post #24 of 68
I hate having to prove you wrong friend, but I already said, and I'll quote myself directly, "As far as Zeos, yeah, he's not the greatest source"
I said it right up top, but you weren't paying close enough attention. I'm not a great fan of his or really any of the other reviewers, but as of now he's the only one that has heard them and has posted about it.
"if you want me to BELIEVE that these pads are good, then wait until somebody who isn't a shill who makes his living off of affiliate links posts a review, okay?"
I don't want you to believe anything in particular, I just want you to stop your baseless whinging and wait until you have more information before you post more. Heed your own advice maybe?

Then why would you even link to a Zeos review instead of waiting until we have more information like you said?

And I'm still allowed to want velour pads. It's not like I'm hurting anyone by posting here, this thread is practically dead for some reason. I do not understand why. I'd like fellow Head-Fi-ers willing to take a gamble and give these a try to give THEIR impression of what they do to the sound. As you said, more information would be nice.

Currently available at Drop for only $5 shipping to Europe. Just ordered mine!

https://drop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-philips-fidelio-x2

Since it's from Drop I know it might be a while before you get them, but can you let them know your impressions of the sound once they arrive? As you can see, there is some, ahem, contention and debate as to whether it's possible for materials other than velour to preserve the stock sound of the headphones.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #25 of 68
Then why would you even link to a Zeos review instead of waiting until we have more information like you said?

And I'm still allowed to want velour pads. It's not like I'm hurting anyone by posting here, this thread is practically dead for some reason. I do not understand why. I'd like fellow Head-Fi-ers willing to take a gamble and give these a try to give THEIR impression of what they do to the sound. As you said, more information would be nice.

Since it's from Drop I know it might be a while before you get them, but can you let them know your impressions of the sound once they arrive? As you can see, there is some, ahem, contention and debate as to whether it's possible for materials other than velour to preserve the stock sound of the headphones.
Why would I link to Zeos? Because, he currently has the only info out right now, which as I'm sure you would agree is better than NO info. Whether you like his personal style, how he is funded etc is irrelevant; at this point we are in a 'take what you can get' kind of situation. As more information becomes available I'll look at that as well.
You made your point: you want velour, that could have been conveyed in about 400 fewer words than what you have done.

As for me? I can afford to spend $40, I'll be ordering a set of the protein leather ones once Amazon has them back in stock. I have an X2 and an X3, I'm curious to see for myself how they sound.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #26 of 68
Curious to read other reviews about those pads. Can't really know which one to take between the two versions. On one hand, leather seems apparently more refined in SQ, but on the other hand I would like the choice suede because it more breathable than leather. And also would like to buy them in an European online shop to avoid customs fees... [After a while though, I really start to be annoyed by the itchy touch of the stock pads]

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2021 at 4:09 PM Post #28 of 68
@goodyfresh I, too, have been on a long-time search for aftermarket X2 earpads that don't color the sound. Brainwavz suede and velour pads darken the sound quite a bit indeed... The most fascinating pads I tried were Audio Technica AD900x pads. They didn't make the sound dark, but they gave the X2 a very punchy, aggressive sound with a lot of energy in the upper mids. Very fun, but fatiguing.

I think it's less about the material covering the earpad, and more about the density of the foam used inside. I think the X2 is best suited to foam that is less dense, sealing in less of the acoustic energy. Try slightly breaking the seal of your brainwavz padded X2 by sliding your finger under the earcup (or heck, I'm trying rubber grips taken from ink pens, and it's not bad, lol). The sub bass is reduced significantly, but there is still plenty to spare.

Anyway, these Dekoni pads are really good idea; Aftermarket pads that finally use the X2's headband attachment system! I'm buying them whether or not they color the sound too much. I'll let you know how it goes!

Mar 12, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #29 of 68
I think it's less about the material covering the earpad, and more about the density of the foam used inside. I think the X2 is best suited to foam that is less dense, sealing in less of the acoustic energy. Try slightly breaking the seal of your brainwavz padded X2 by sliding your finger under the earcup (or heck, I'm trying rubber grips taken from ink pens, and it's not bad, lol). The sub bass is reduced significantly, but there is still plenty to spare.

Yup, and the fact that a seal-breach with the Brainwavz pads significantly changes the sound is an indication that they are far from being a proper replacement for the stock pads. Because the stock pads that come with the headphones are basically completely insensitive to and unaffected by seal-breaches!

Mar 12, 2021 at 10:05 PM Post #30 of 68
I miss the original X2 earpads so much! They were so plush and velvety... And they were good for redacting confidential documents. Part of me wants to try to sew or glue them back together again. I still have the remains.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back