Definitive Post Punk
Aug 31, 2005 at 4:11 AM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
Well-written post, and I basically agree with all of your points.

I might add that while much of punk was attitude, resulting in the music tending towards the monotonous, certain great punk songs have stood the test of time as good rock/pop artifacts. Take classic Sex Pistols or Ramones or Damned -- the music sounds classic and freash simultaneously.
Off topic and IMHO, of course.
biggrin.gif

Definitely. I really like the Sex Pistols, the Damned, the Ramones, the Buzzcocks, Stiff Little Fingers. I just like my punk in smaller doses than my Post-Punk.

Aug 31, 2005 at 4:20 AM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
Was Television really post-punk? I thought it was contemporary to the Punk movement and Marquee Moon was just a stranger in a strange land...

Hmm... I always thought they kicked off the whole movement. They were contemporary in a way, considering the band formed all the way back in the early 70s and was a CBGB staple (Richard Hell was in the original lineup, how more punk can you get), but then Marquee Moon was realeased in '77, I believe supposedly of a different blueprint than from whence they came.

Sep 1, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
Hmm... I always thought they kicked off the whole movement. They were contemporary in a way, considering the band formed all the way back in the early 70s and was a CBGB staple (Richard Hell was in the original lineup, how more punk can you get), but then Marquee Moon was realeased in '77, I believe supposedly of a different blueprint than from whence they came.

Yeah to me Television seems Post Punk even if it doesn't work out as far as the dates go. They certainly had a big influence some of the bands that were part of the Neo-Psychedelic movement i.e. Echo and the Bunnymen.

I could never think of them as punk.

I have a hard time calling Richard Hell and the Voidoids punk, too. There is a sophistication there that especially comes from Robert Quine's guitar playing that just doesn't sit right with punk.

Sep 1, 2005 at 11:18 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Lot's of great bands and albums already mentioned, but really kind of a silly subject. They're all just great bands and albums. Y'all sound like a bunch of librarians
wink.gif

"But I am proud of what I am!"

"And what is that?"

"I... am a librarian!"

i keep finding the same persons with too much time on their hands and too much music in their heads in those silly "genre threads"
biggrin.gif

Sep 1, 2005 at 9:31 PM Post #50 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorfmeister
Yeah to me Television seems Post Punk even if it doesn't work out as far as the dates go. They certainly had a big influence some of the bands that were part of the Neo-Psychedelic movement i.e. Echo and the Bunnymen.

i'll quote you because television is a brilliant, underrated band that deserves every post they can get.

the dual guitar model reminded me of an equally brilliant band that's even more underrated ... and that should fit the definition of "post-punk" as well as any band mentioned so far (and yes, Riordan, it's a british band
tongue.gif
):

The Soft Boys

A Can of Bees is decidedly post-punk, and decidedly fantastic.

B0000009UN.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Quote:

I have a hard time calling Richard Hell and the Voidoids punk, too. There is a sophistication there that especially comes from Robert Quine's guitar playing that just doesn't sit right with punk.

Blank Generation?! not punk?! it's a seminal album... pure punk, through and through.

Sep 2, 2005 at 3:57 AM Post #52 of 56
I just read this in the Papers. CBGB is no more. OMFUG is dead, long live OMFUG!

Sep 2, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by gratefulshrink
A little more on Television. (I meant to add this to one of my previous posts.) A little while back Rhino put out a legitimate bootleg of Televsion at live the Old Waldorf in SF in 1978. It's excellent quality. Of course, now it's sold out (http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDe...o?Number=7846), but maybe used copies are available somewhere out there.

believe it or not you can also get this for under 10 bucks at iTunes, and even the clips sound like a darn good rip for 128mp3.

Sep 2, 2005 at 4:07 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

believe it or not you can also get this for under 10 bucks at iTunes, and even the clips sound like a darn good rip for 128mp3.

No s**t? itunes can be so hit or miss -- I don't even think of looking there for most things I'm trying to track down.

Oct 25, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

I just read this in the Papers. CBGB is no more. OMFUG is dead, long live OMFUG!

one last nostalgic post - CBGB closed for good this month - here's a clip from the glory days, enjoy.

I bet you didn't know Blondie when they were Punk, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back