Definitive List of Well-Recorded Rock Albums
May 22, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #151 of 163
I've noticed nobody has ever included Foo Fighters' "Wasting Light" in any of the well-recorded albums list. I thought it sounded very good, along with having many good songs. Anyone else have this opinion?

On a side note, their Greatest Hits CD is meh.

May 28, 2015 at 9:15 PM Post #153 of 163
Jeff Beck - Live +

A surprise. A revalation. Not your typical Jeff Beck.

But just count all the early Jeff Beck albums in the well recorded category. Just got there and back again in 24/96 from HDTracks and was reminded how good they were.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #154 of 163
Glad to see The Cranberries up there with No Need to Argue. Can't believe the sound on that album.

If we're counting Kate Bush as rock, don't see why The Sensual World isn't up there. Prime work on an excellent album, the first album where her control in the studio was put to the limits and it showed.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #155 of 163
Glad to see The Cranberries up there with No Need to Argue. Can't believe the sound on that album.

If we're counting Kate Bush as rock, don't see why The Sensual World isn't up there. Prime work on an excellent album, the first album where her control in the studio was put to the limits and it showed.

I loved the cranberries in high school but stopped listening to them due to later albums not being to my liking. I'll have to get this album back out and give it a listen. Thanks for the help in rediscovery.

Jun 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #156 of 163
I loved the cranberries in high school but stopped listening to them due to later albums not being to my liking. I'll have to get this album back out and give it a listen. Thanks for the help in rediscovery.

No problem, just took the cd out of my collection and have listened to it twice every day. Great stuff. Agreed about their later sound, going to look into the album they released a few years ago.

Aug 23, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #157 of 163
  I've noticed nobody has ever included Foo Fighters' "Wasting Light" in any of the well-recorded albums list. I thought it sounded very good, along with having many good songs. Anyone else have this opinion?

On a side note, their Greatest Hits CD is meh.

It's well-recorded, but it has crappy mastering, unfortunately. Too dynamically compressed. ​

Aug 26, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #158 of 163
An old thread that deserved to be revived. Thank you for the list headfiers!

If there is one that I can suggest now quickly is Placebo - Battle for the Sun. To me a strong showcase of controlled dynamics by Dave Bottrill’s (Tool, Dream Theater among others.

Aug 27, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #159 of 163
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature
Audiophile Reviewers use this. Magnificently produced album! In my mind, same category than Division Bell. Or even better.

And

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell
Standard CD version from 1994.
-Even more popular. Can be found everywhere.

This is one of my favourites;
Robbie Robertson - Music for Native Americans

You have to listen track Skinwalker. It's in Spotify. After that, think about how good it sounds in CD? You maybe think you've became somewhat deaf, because how loud this album can be played. Great dynamic range!
Album have few great songs, also for those who are not Native Americans. :)

Aug 27, 2019 at 4:00 AM Post #160 of 163
And thanks dogtagkz! This was a great discovery. Two thumbs up!! :gs1000smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back