Definitive List of Well-Recorded Rock Albums
Feb 27, 2006 at 10:53 PM Post #16 of 163
All above entries editted into first post.

Let me clarify this a bit. We're looking for well-recorded rock albums, not good albums. for instance, i like coldplay's a rush of blood to the head, but it's badly recorded (very compressed and blended sounding at times, at least on my system), so it's not going to appear on this list

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:07 AM Post #19 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by max-9
weezer
tool
zappa

could you please name some specific albums?

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #21 of 163
The problem is that people are naming great albums, with average quality, not great quality. I want to see this develop though, it could be a good resource.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:21 AM Post #23 of 163
Dream Theater - Scenes From A Memory
The Who - Quadrophenia

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:32 AM Post #24 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by hungrych
The problem is that people are naming great albums, with average quality, not great quality. I want to see this develop though, it could be a good resource.
smily_headphones1.gif

it's a problem. sometimes love an album so much that it sounds great even if it's not very well recorded.

WE'RE LOOKING FOR REALLY GOOD RECORDINGS, NOT REALLY GOOD ALBUMS, guys. it's hard, i know, but there's a difference.

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #25 of 163
These all appear on Bob Katz' CD Honor Roll, although technically these are all well mastered albums (not well recorded per se) I assume the point of the list is to identify rock albums that sound good. I'll let someone else decide which of these are "rock" or not.

Body and Soul - Joe Jackson
Heartattack and Vine - Tom Waits
Reunion at Carnegie Hall - The Weavers
Crazed Woman - Blazing Red Heads
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
Lyle Lovett and His Large Band
Stop Making Sense - Talking Heads
The Night Fly - Donald Fagen
Waiting for Columbus - Little Feat Live
Security - Peter Gabriel
Citizen - Steely Dan
Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
Joshua Judges Ruth - Lyle Lovett
Are You Passionate? - Neil Young
Pleasure and Pain - Roy Rogers
Workingman’s Dead - Grateful Dead
Amused to Death - Roger Waters
Burn to Shine - Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals
If I Could Only Remember My Name - David Crosby
Luck of the Draw - Bonnie Raitt
Sergeant Pepper - Beatles
Southland of the Heart - Maria Muldaur
Forgiving Eden - A Triggering Myth
Hot Rocks 1964-1971- The Rolling Stones
Hourglass - James Taylor
In My Life - George Martin
Recycler - ZZ Top
Shelter Me - Richard Page
Whenever We Wanted - John Mellencamp
Back in Black - AC/DC
The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys - Traffic
Messenger of Truth - Chris Beckers
The Radiators
Rage Against the Machine
The Shaming of the True - Kevin Gilbert
Toy Matinee Special Edition
Aenima - Tool
Brand New Day - Sting
Every Single Day - Lucy Kaplansky
Korn
You’re the One - Paul Simon

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:58 AM Post #26 of 163
Dark Side of the Moon - NOT a good recording. Mediocre at best. Compressed to hell due to all of the new and experimental effects.

Quadrophenia - Talk about sibilance on the cymbals!
eek.gif
Hell, on the two recordings I have of this album, you can hardly separate the instruments. And there seems to be a muffle, particularly on bass and drums, showing us that the record was recorded lousy, and not just mastered lousy.

Tool - Ugh. I'm sorry - just, ugh.

The last two examples were some instances of how heavy-styled music is difficult to record. It is VERY hard to make a hard rock/metal record sound good and still maintain that power and style that the albums are supposed to achieve.

"Pump" and "Appetite for Destruction" don't belong there either. I'm not so sure about the 311 selection.

Some truly GOOD rock recordings include Zappa's late seventies work. "Joe's Garage" (which was half-speed mastered at release) and "Waka/Jawaka". "The Mothers at Filmore East '71" is a great recording as well!

Neil Young had a few great recordings, including "After the Goldrush", "Greendale", and "Tonight's the Night" (although "Tonight's the Night" has some copies where there are odd fluctuations in volume in the vocals - don't know what that's all about).

Bob Dylan's "The Freewheelin'" is a superb acoustic recording. I don't know if that counts, but I'm sure it does.

The Classic Records release of "Led Zeppelin II" is also fantastic, particularly in the vocals. They're very natural and up-front.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:27 AM Post #27 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman
Dark Side of the Moon - NOT a good recording. Mediocre at best. Compressed to hell due to all of the new and experimental effects.

Quadrophenia - Talk about sibilance on the cymbals!
eek.gif
Hell, on the two recordings I have of this album, you can hardly separate the instruments. And there seems to be a muffle, particularly on bass and drums, showing us that the record was recorded lousy, and not just mastered lousy.

Tool - Ugh. I'm sorry - just, ugh.

The last two examples were some instances of how heavy-styled music is difficult to record. It is VERY hard to make a hard rock/metal record sound good and still maintain that power and style that the albums are supposed to achieve.

"Pump" and "Appetite for Destruction" don't belong there either. I'm not so sure about the 311 selection.

Some truly GOOD rock recordings include Zappa's late seventies work. "Joe's Garage" (which was half-speed mastered at release) and "Waka/Jawaka". "The Mothers at Filmore East '71" is a great recording as well!

Neil Young had a few great recordings, including "After the Goldrush", "Greendale", and "Tonight's the Night" (although "Tonight's the Night" has some copies where there are odd fluctuations in volume in the vocals - don't know what that's all about).

Bob Dylan's "The Freewheelin'" is a superb acoustic recording. I don't know if that counts, but I'm sure it does.

The Classic Records release of "Led Zeppelin II" is also fantastic, particularly in the vocals. They're very natural and up-front.

thx aman. this can give people an idea of what we mean by well-recorded, too. i'll edit the list. i feel bad removing dsotm, but i understand that it has to be compressed due to all te detail. it's the kind of album that gets better and better with better equipment (especiallythe source, or so i hear) so you hear more and more detail, but it's not especially well-reocrded (so you've confirmed what i've been told)

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:56 AM Post #28 of 163
Brian Wilson - SMiLE
recorded on the same tube powered boards as the original SMiLE tapes, and mastered with incredible dynamic range, especially for a contemporary release.

Frank Zappa - One Size Fits All
all of zappa's albums are well-produced. i picked this one because it's a great mid-period representation of his work. rooted in rock, but still freaky and very complex. difficult vocal arrangements with different style voices really show off the quality of the recording.

Frank Zappa - Live in New York
again, most all of his live albums sound quite fantastic. i say it's a tie between this and Roxy and Elsewhere. Terry Bozzio's drum work on this album is beyond compare. not only is it some of the most amazing percussion i've ever heard, the recording quality really brings out the harmonics and transients of the cymbals, which often gets lost in mediocre recordings.

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:10 AM Post #29 of 163
It hurts to post this....but I've recently heard it AND read here that I was right in believing that Michael Jackson's Thriller is very well recorded.

Never thought I'd listen to that album so closely.

B

Feb 28, 2006 at 3:25 AM Post #30 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
I've recently heard it AND read here that I was right in believing that Michael Jackson's Thriller is very well recorded.

i've heard that, too.

list ahs been updated, again. i'm really enjoying this
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm gonna have to buy me some zappa, i don't know him at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back