Defective or in need of burn in? Beyerdynamic DT880 600 ohm Repairs
Feb 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:
At a loss as to what I should do, I've been burning in the right phone by sending all audio to the right channel through a bass heavy playlist, hoping to loosen up the drivers, but I can't forsee them getting a boost of 20% volume from being burnt in 200+ hours.

Headphone drivers are organic in that they can sound quite different from one another, that's why driver pairing is important.

There had been a big debate on Era of the T1 with 'bass heavy' as well as 'bass light' versions by the year they were produced, perhaps you're experiencing similar with your 880s.

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #17 of 39

Quote:
You'll need to use the 2000Ω scale as the 200Ω setting doesn't read impedance over 200Ω.

Thank you for the tip, didn't know what I was doing. :D

Alright the results are in, the left side reads 610 ohms, right reads 596 ohms. Shouldn't this mean the left side should be quieter? :/ that's quite a gap

Feb 19, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #18 of 39

Quote:
Headphone drivers are organic in that they can sound quite different from one another, that's why driver pairing is important.

There had been a big debate on Era of the T1 with 'bass heavy' as well as 'bass light' versions by the year they were produced, perhaps you're experiencing similar with your 880s.

Thank you for that information, I sincerely hope not but that's good to know :/

[edit: Would there be any possible solutions if this were the case? ]

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #19 of 39

Quote:
Thank you for the tip, didn't know what I was doing. :D

Alright the results are in, the left side reads 610 ohms, right reads 596 ohms. Shouldn't this mean the left side should be quieter? :/ that's quite a gap

That is a pretty big difference, I used my Fluke meter.

My Beyer T70's were within 2Ω of each other and just over rated impedance. My HD650's were the same.

I don't know if that is really a big enough difference to be audible to the extent you are hearing.

If it was me I would send them back and tell them the issue you are having, they should really replace both drivers or at least match them closer than that.

Feb 19, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:
Thank you for that information, I sincerely hope not but that's good to know :/

[edit: Would there be any possible solutions if this were the case? ]

Buying a new driver replacement for the left side; this should ensure there closer matched. Failing buying another driver I would continue your burn in on the right side and hope for the best after about 300+ hours.

Feb 19, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #21 of 39
I can replace the driver for you if nothing else works. Just the cost of the driver and shipping would be required.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #22 of 39

Quote:
That is a pretty big difference, I used my Fluke meter.

My Beyer T70's were within 2Ω of each other and just over rated impedance. My HD650's were the same.

I don't know if that is really a big enough difference to be audible to the extent you are hearing.

If it was me I would send them back and tell them the issue you are having, they should really replace both drivers or at least match them closer than that.

It is quite drastic :/ I appreciate the reply, if worse comes to worse I might have to do that.

Quote:
Buying a new driver replacement for the left side; this should ensure there closer matched. Failing buying another driver I would continue your burn in on the right side and hope for the best after about 300+ hours.

Thanks for the heads up, I wonder if the warranty is still valid after one repair? I still had over a year left prior to that :/ I'll continue burning it in hoping for the best, if it doesn't improve I'll have to do that.

Quote:
I can replace the driver for you if nothing else works. Just the cost of the driver and shipping would be required.

Really appreciate that man, if it comes down to it after burn in, and my warranty doesn't cover it I'll definitely come to you for help on that, do you have a facebook or something I can add you on? Thanks much!

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:10 PM Post #23 of 39
I have a FB profile, it's in my sig :wink:

Quote:
Really appreciate that man, if it comes down to it after burn in, and my warranty doesn't cover it I'll definitely come to you for help on that, do you have a facebook or something I can add you on? Thanks much!

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #25 of 39
Wouldnt hold too much hope for any burn in, if the issue is related to impedance mismatch that won't change. The only things that could would be temperature, and the physical condition of the voice coil.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

I do not think that difference alone explains the large imbalance. It is only about 2.3% more on the left side, which translates to a fraction of a dB, and is acceptable. For me, the difference is larger with the 250 Ohm Pro version (~3.3%, 244 vs. 252 Ohm), and the sound is not noticeably panned to one side. However, this does not mean that your driver is not faulty for other reasons.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:38 AM Post #27 of 39
you could solder a ~15ohm resistor in front of the driver.
Easy to do, cheap and removal is a piece of cake if the results won't change a thing.

Or just use software to change the channel balance.

This whole thread shows how silly it is to replace a single driver... shame on you BeyerDynamic.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #28 of 39
If the new driver is faulty, it is probably best to bring the headphone back to the repair center to replace the driver again with a working one, or buy it yourself if you can and the replacement cannot be done under warranty.

Feb 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #29 of 39

Quote:
Wouldnt hold too much hope for any but I g in if the issue is related to impedance mismatch that won't change. The only things that could would be temperature, and the physical condition of the voice coil.

\ O_o / haha I'm at a loss.

Quote:
I do not think that difference alone explains the large imbalance. It is only about 2.3% more on the left side, which translates to a fraction of a dB, and is acceptable. For me, the difference is larger with the 250 Ohm Pro version (~3.3%, 244 vs. 252 Ohm), and the sound is not noticeably panned to one side. However, this does not mean that your driver is not faulty for other reasons.

Good point, the discrepancy is more drastic than a few percent and if anything the higher ohms on the left side should mean it's more resistant to the signal hence quieter than the right, but sadly this isn't the case. I guess I'll have to send them in, I'm in the middle of a move to California in a little over a week, if I did send them in for repairs would I ask for the left side to be refurbished? or redo the right?

Quote:
you could solder a ~15ohm resistor in front of the driver.
Easy to do, cheap and removal is a piece of cake if the results won't change a thing.

Or just use software to change the channel balance.

This whole thread shows how silly it is to replace a single driver... shame on you BeyerDynamic.

I might have to look into that if replacing the driver ends up being too costly, severely disappointed that these $250+ headphones have been hampered by so many issues, top that off with lack of customer support + technicians who don't reply after sending 4+ emails to multiple addresses, Sennheiser may cost more but after this mess I'll probably go with them in the future.

Quote:
If the new driver is faulty, it is probably best to bring the headphone back to the repair center to replace the driver again with a working one, or buy it yourself if you can and the replacement cannot be done under warranty.

I'll have to try that and mail them back, ($30 on shipping so far that's over 10% the cost of the damn headphone :/) I'm just hoping I don't suffer diminishing returns where every time I send it, it keeps coming back with more problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back