Defected to Appleland!
Oct 17, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #121 of 161
Thanks for the advice Wodgy. I installed Mactex and Texshop yesterday, and will now get a book.

Oct 22, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #123 of 161
In the same vein as TexShop, I also like LaTeXiT. It's for those one line equations or such things that you would like to put into a presentation or anything else. Just insert your LaTex preamble into the proper place and it has all the functionality of TexShop.

Or maybe I just spend too much time doing LaTex stuff as a math PhD student...

Oct 22, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #124 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by axiom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the same vein as TexShop, I also like LaTeXiT. It's for those one line equations or such things that you would like to put into a presentation or anything else. Just insert your LaTex preamble into the proper place and it has all the functionality of TexShop.

Yup, if you use Keynote for presentations, LaTeXiT is the best way to go for putting equations in your slides. Very nice. Pity it has such an undescriptive name though; a lot of people have it installed but have never tried it because the name doesn't really suggest what it does.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #125 of 161
I walked by a Mac Store at the mall this evening, went in out of curiosity, spent a couple of hours playing around with stuff, and came home with a 24" iMac. I've been thinking about making the switch for a few years, and now it seems I've finally done it. So far it's looking very, very, good! I'm already thinking " What took me so long?! " I've got a long day planned at work tomorrow, but it's going to be difficult to pull myself away from the Mac tonight.

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #126 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I walked by a Mac Store at the mall this evening, went in out of curiosity, spent a couple of hours playing around with stuff, and came home with a 24" iMac. I've been thinking about making the switch for a few years, and now it seems I've finally done it. So far it's looking very, very, good! I'm already thinking " What took me so long?! " I've got a long day planned at work tomorrow, but it's going to be difficult to pull myself away from the Mac tonight.

Congrats!! You're gonna love it! BTW, if you need to run any Windows apps, let me know, there are some very convenient solutions available now.

BTW, did you get Leopard or Tiger?

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #127 of 161
It came with Tiger installed. If I waited until tomorrow evening when Leopard is officially released, they said the disc would come in the box. I didn't want to face the crowds at tomorrow's Leopard launch party they're having, so I'll pay $10 and have the disc sent to me. Either way, the system would have come with Tiger on it, with the Leopard upgrade disc separate.

kwkarth: Regarding the Windows programs, yes I'm hoping to be able to run some of my adobe suite software on the Mac. Apparently one of Leopard's new features is the ability to run windows XP without having to reboot. Once I get Leopard installed and check it out, if I'm not happy, I'll take you up on your offer of other solution suggestions.

(While attempting to quote you, I've just discovered that Control+C and Control+V don't allow me to cut and paste type .... will have to figure that one out.)

Oct 26, 2007 at 7:21 AM Post #128 of 161
One of the half dozen programs that would keep me from every going back to Windows is on sale today. The great free-form database, DEVONthink PRO is on sale at MacZot. Forget all you've heard about Yojimbo. This is the real thing.

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:33 PM Post #129 of 161
Quote:

... (While attempting to quote you, I've just discovered that Control+C and Control+V don't allow me to cut and paste type .... will have to figure that one out.)

Use Command-C, Command-V (and Command-X to cut), and you'll have it the same. I just made the switch myself, so all this is fresh in my mind.

Have fun ...

Oct 26, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #130 of 161
Quote:

It came with Tiger installed. If I waited until tomorrow evening when Leopard is officially released, they said the disc would come in the box. I didn't want to face the crowds at tomorrow's Leopard launch party they're having, so I'll pay $10 and have the disc sent to me. Either way, the system would have come with Tiger on it, with the Leopard upgrade disc separate.

kwkarth: Regarding the Windows programs, yes I'm hoping to be able to run some of my adobe suite software on the Mac. Apparently one of Leopard's new features is the ability to run windows XP without having to reboot. Once I get Leopard installed and check it out, if I'm not happy, I'll take you up on your offer of other solution suggestions.

(While attempting to quote you, I've just discovered that Control+C and Control+V don't allow me to cut and paste type .... will have to figure that one out.)

The control C, V, X, all work the same as they do on a WPC, you just substitute the "Apple/Command" key instead. You can even change that too, in system preferences, but I would not recommend that. So, copy, "Command"+C, to cut "Command"+X, to paste, "Command"+V.
Cheers!

Oct 26, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #131 of 161
Quote:

congrats! great impulse buy
smily_headphones1.gif
btw, i have some 2GB ram chips if you're interested in upgrading the ram on your imac. i bought them for my macs but later realized that the first imacs and macbooks can't go above 2GB
frown.gif

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #132 of 161
Oh yeah, Mike, how much RAM did you get in your iMac?

Oct 26, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #133 of 161
2 x 1 gig. It will take up to 4 gig. I have 2 gigs on all my IBM computers and it's been fine. The most intensive software I use is Photoshop CS2. I've been told that ram goes a little farther on macs than IBM's .... is that true?

I imagine if I were to start video editing, additional ram would come in handy.

Oct 26, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #134 of 161
Quote:

2 x 1 gig. It will take up to 4 gig. I have 2 gigs on all my IBM computers and it's been fine. The most intensive software I use is Photoshop CS2. I've been told that ram goes a little farther on macs than IBM's .... is that true?

I imagine if I were to start video editing, additional ram would come in handy.

Typically and historically, yes, RAM tends to go farther on Macs than on PC, however..................
If you intend to run Windows applications, you will be running Windows (XP or Vista) simultaneously with Tiger/Leopard. RAM, you will want RAM. Certainly, Windows will run in what you have, but not very happily. Do yourself a favor and ram all 4 Gigs of RAM in there... :wink:

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #135 of 161
BTW, Mike, Leopard only comes with Boot Camp. This means you can boot into Windows or OSX, but not run both at the same time. You'll need to buy either Parallels or VMware Fusion. They both retail for $80 bux USD or less. I've used Parallels for a year and like it, but VMware for MAC is a new product and I'm hearing very good things about it. I may buy a copy of it myself based upon what I'm hearing. Anyway, I'm gonna buy Leopard tonight and upgrade my MacBook Pro. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back