Defected to Appleland!
Oct 14, 2007 at 6:20 AM Post #106 of 161
I still haven't found anything that works as well as Ecco by Netmanage. Now free, it is quite old and is windows only. I have it running with Wine in Ubuntu and I suppose I could do the same with Codeweaver's proggies on my mac, but I would just love something that compares with the speed and simplicity of Ecco. I use iCal and Mail mainly because of Spotlight, but honestly, why can't a company match the brilliance of this great program? Maybe something does exist and I'm totally in the dark? If so (particularly Wodgy) please enlighten me. My boss uses Ecco exclusively in his office environment and is really fearful the day a Windows OS release lacks support for old 32 bit programs.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #107 of 161
For the GTD crowd, don't forget iGTD.

Also Hallon is somewhat similar, but a very cool take on organizing things (bookmarks for programs that don't support bookmarks).

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #108 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the GTD crowd, don't forget iGTD.

How does iGTD compare with Chandler? I am thinking that perhaps Chandler is a possible evolution of what Ecco started to become, though in the case of Chandler, it is cross platform, fully syncing etc.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #109 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still haven't found anything that works as well as Ecco by Netmanage. Now free, it is quite old and is windows only. I have it running with Wine in Ubuntu and I suppose I could do the same with Codeweaver's proggies on my mac, but I would just love something that compares with the speed and simplicity of Ecco. I use iCal and Mail mainly because of Spotlight, but honestly, why can't a company match the brilliance of this great program? Maybe something does exist and I'm totally in the dark? If so (particularly Wodgy) please enlighten me. My boss uses Ecco exclusively in his office environment and is really fearful the day a Windows OS release lacks support for old 32 bit programs.

You have a great boss if he uses Ecco
smily_headphones1.gif
The Ecco open source project fell through due to mismanagement at Netmanage (what's new?), but there has been a pretty fantastic new development... a group of hackers got together and hacked together a low-level interface to Ecco called "eccoext". It does a whack of neat things, but one of the big ones is it lets you write routines in Lua (a lightweight scripting language) that lets you assign categories conditionally, based on an item's contents. Ecco has always had a scripting interface, and Python, etc. bindings exist, but eccoext takes this further. It's worth looking into for Ecco fans.

BTW, your fears about compatibility may end up coming true... Ecco does not work on 64-bit Vista. It runs fine on 32-bit Vista however, and you can always run it in a virtual machine. Then of course, the OS doesn't matter.

There is a guy in Montreal who's working on a modern Ecco replacement that's actually not vaporware... it's in beta and you can try it out. It's called SQLnotes. I personally haven't tried it yet, and I disagree with some of the developer's design goals (particularly with respect to usability), but it is an interesting development. I hope he can finish it. It's a lot to bite off for a single programmer.

Here's a fantastic table comparing Ecco, Ecco+eccoext, and SQLnotes:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dqmp2rv_26gpc2hb

As for Chandler, it could have been something like Ecco, it really could have. The beauty of Lotus Agenda (the predecessor to Chandler) and Ecco were their elegant data models. Instead, the Chandler developers chose to go for a baroque data model that is halfway towards Outlook... data types have schema (bundles of fields) and you can "stamp" an item with multiple schema. It's not really appealing to me. And it doesn't have the hierarchical element of Ecco. I think it's the classic example of a project built by people with a consultant/architect's mindset, rather than just a bunch of smart people who want to build something. That's part of the reason it's still not out of beta after six years of development.

As for Mac apps, OmniFocus is getting closer to Ecco. I think they're a little hobbled by devotion to David Allen's "GTD" methodology though... it would have a much more elegant model if they scrapped the next action concept. And of course it needs to be able to add custom columns, and the perspectives window would be better implemented as Ecco-style tabs (though you can add perspectives to the toolbar in OmniFocus). But it's not bad if your use of Ecco is project/task management.

I'm personally looking forward to the systemwide todo datastore in Leopard. Add some integration in OmniOutliner to that datastore, then add filters (hopefully in the next version), and you'd have most of Ecco. Add cloning and you'd get even closer.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:22 PM Post #110 of 161
Thanks so much for the details Wodgy. I'll look into OmniFocus and SQLnotes. My boss just ordered a new laptop and opted for XP Pro over Vista on my recommendation. He'll be elated to know that had he gone with 64 bit Vista he would have been screwed. Running it in a VM wouldn't have met his needs at all. so long as a few major stats programs remain progressive on the 32bit platform, I suppose he is safe for a few more years. I doubt he has more than 10 left working until retirement so that might just well be enough for him.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #111 of 161
Played around with the OmniFocus alpha today and it's great. Surprisingly stable and bug-free for an alpha. I wish they could add a prioritization feature even if it's not canonical GTD.

Oct 14, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #112 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time Mac owner as of an hour ago. Thus far, the Macbook is really a treat. The aesthetics are very nice and everything is great now that I figured out how to invoke the secondary click on the trackpad. I don't think I will ever kick my addiction to the right-click mouse function.

Now my journey begins by perusing through the operating system, understanding how information is stored, etc.

Welcome from the dark side!

Oct 15, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #113 of 161
Quote:

How does iGTD compare with Chandler?

I can't really say as I' haven't used Chandler.

My big problem with most apps is I want everything online now. There are GTD extensions for Gmail, etc. Cross-platform is nice, but no install is better for on the road, using iPhone, etc.

If you're going to be platform based, Quicksilver, Launchbar or Butler integration is a near must. iGTD has it. Here's an instruction for using LB with Backpack (so back to online). Also if anyone has come across similar scripts for Remember the Milk (which has become my fave lately), please let me know.

Like Apple ads? This takes it a little further [warning: NSFW - at least outside Hungary].

Oct 15, 2007 at 9:31 PM Post #114 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe that photo was from a journalism school, so Macs may be been 'encouraged' (I'm being polite as some schools can be more dictatorial than corporations). But Zanth I think we agree. Strange how it feels a little different when Macs are the majority.
wink.gif

Anyway, I wanted to post an app that many Mac fans love is on sale today at MacUpdate. 1Passwd is 1/3 off. I don't have personal experience but I just bought a copy as this app makes nearly every 'must have' list. It also has support for the iPhone (and hopefully Touch) in a beta to be released soon.

i'm a huge fan of 1Password and find it an indispensable part of my mac life. some websites i use for work request passwords for every page, it seems, and 1PW handles it with aplomb. i'm getting an iphone in january and i'm intrigued with their new iphone port of 1Password.

Oct 16, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #115 of 161
What would be a good way to do Latex on the Mac? I'm completely new to this but my prof recommended using it for math papers.

Oct 16, 2007 at 7:39 PM Post #117 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by saint.panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What would be a good way to do Latex on the Mac? I'm completely new to this but my prof recommended using it for math papers.

LaTeX is one of the strengths of the Mac, especially the OS's fast PDF previews which make almost-WYSIWYG LaTeX bearable.

For a TeX distribution, you want TeXLive-2007. For an editing application, most people use TeXShop. The alternatives aren't as good, for the most part, though I haven't tried OcTeX yet.

Do get a book though. LaTeX looks frightening to beginners and reading information about it online is intimidating because there are a million different packages, half of which are obsolete. Generally, it's better to search the TeX FAQ for information than to do a general Google search to solve a specific problem, because you never know how good the information you'll find is. The FAQ is here:
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2...troduction=yes

Once you get the hang of it, LaTeX is nice.

Oct 16, 2007 at 11:37 PM Post #119 of 161
Quote:

One could also run Lyx under fink. Lyx is VERY nice and fast.

You don't even need to use Fink anymore, actually. There's a native Mac application port of LyX:
http://wiki.lyx.org/Mac/Mac?from=LyX.Mac

LyX is worth trying out if you want something halfway between Word and LaTeX. If you can spend an afternoon setting up a LaTeX preamble the way you like it though, pure LaTeX may prove less frustrating in the long term (when LyX messes up or you want to do something it doesn't support, you end up fighting with it). Also, typesetting math using pure LaTeX is really the only way to go if you do a lot of it. It's actually pleasant enough to be kind of fun.

By the way, I forgot to mention BibDesk. It comes with the TeXLive distribution and is a really killer reference management app. Very nice UI and very pleasant to use.

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #120 of 161
BTW, another nice thing... now that Leopard has been announced, the rumors that it would have system-wide grammar checking (like the current system-wide spell checking) have been confirmed.

This is going to be really nice, because TeXShop and other Cocoa apps will inherit grammar checking automatically... previously it's been impossible to find a LaTeX editor on any platform with an integrated grammar checker (with the possible exception of Scientific Word, I'm not sure about that one), now you've got it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back