Defected to Appleland!
Oct 26, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #136 of 161
Quote:

Do yourself a favor and ram all 4 Gigs of RAM in there... :wink:

Good point about running Windows. Since I'm still fumbling around with the new-to-me Mac OS, I'm in no hurry to run Windows on the iMac. So I'll be happy to wait a while to find out which is the best route to go. In the meantime, thanks to kugino's generous offer, I'll take your advice and max out the ram.

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #137 of 161
I wouldn't obsess about extra RAM. 2GB is a very solid amount for OS X. In general, Macs are about twice as memory-efficient as Vista, in a tangible, real sense. Right now I only have 256MB of RAM in my server and it gets along fine, though I'll bump that up to 512MB for Leopard. On my main machine, I occasionally run VMWare Fusion to use a Windows app (speaker design software and Ecco mostly) and 2GB of RAM is more than fine for that. You'll probably find you're only occasionally running Windows apps anyway, because the Mac software selection is very good, and much of it is more inexpensive than the Windows equivalents.

Oct 26, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #138 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wodgy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't obsess about extra RAM. 2GB is a very solid amount for OS X. In general, Macs are about twice as memory-efficient as Vista, in a tangible, real sense. Right now I only have 256MB of RAM in my server and it gets along fine, though I'll bump that up to 512MB for Leopard. On my main machine, I occasionally run VMWare Fusion to use a Windows app (speaker design software and Ecco mostly) and 2GB of RAM is more than fine for that. You'll probably find you're only occasionally running Windows apps anyway, because the Mac software selection is very good, and much of it is more inexpensive than the Windows equivalents.

it depends on your usage patterns. for server, i agree that a little ram goes a long way. but on both of my machines (first gen macbook and intel imac) i wish i could upgrade past 2GB. i run a lot of things and hate to have to close apps to prevent pageouts. especially on the macbook, which uses some ram for video, the option to go above 3GB would be great (core 2 duo macs can do this).

parallels does require a lot of memory, too...i agree that it isn't used that often (if i did, i'd probably do boot camp), but when i do use parallels it requires a ton of memory.

seeing that ram is pretty cheap now i would do as much as possible...my .02.

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #139 of 161
Quote:

Leopard only comes with Boot Camp. This means you can boot into Windows or OSX, but not run both at the same time.

I was misinformed by the woman in the Mac store then, because she specifically told me I would be able to run both Mac and Win without having to re-boot. Is it possible they've improved Boot Camp?

Oct 27, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #140 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbriant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was misinformed by the woman in the Mac store then, because she specifically told me I would be able to run both Mac and Win without having to re-boot. Is it possible they've improved Boot Camp?

You might have misunderstood her. Boot Camp itself cannot run Windows at the same time as OS X. However, VMWare Fusion and Parallels can take a Boot Camp partition and run it at the same time as OS X.

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #141 of 161
Quote:

Nope, I double checked on that today at the Mac store. BTW, I'm running Leopard now. Smooooooth....
wink.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 3:38 PM Post #142 of 161
Just a word about the Leopard upgrade process/experience........

Do you all remember the XP-->Vista upgrade fiasco? The upshot of all of that was that true "upgrades in place" were virtually impossible.

Now, let's take a look at upgrade in place for Tiger-->Leopard...
I spent some time backing everything up, just in case. Then I inserted the Leopard disc, clicked on the upgrade button, my machine rebooted as the directions said it would, and asked me a couple questions. When I hit the continue button, the machine first verified everything on the upgrade disk was checksum perfect, then calculated that my upgrade would take 2 hours and 16 minutes to complete. I left things alone and in 2 hours and 16 minutes, it finished, saying the upgrade process was successfully completed.

Nothing blew up, everything works flawlessly, the machine seems faster....

I even think iTunes sounds better...
wink.gif

Apple Mac, it just works.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Oct 27, 2007 at 7:44 PM Post #143 of 161
My university has free licenses for students, sweet. Hope to pick mine up next week.

Here's a basic guide on the upgrading process.

Oct 29, 2007 at 9:33 AM Post #144 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by trose49 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you get familiar YOU WILL NEVER GO BACK OS is bullet proof! Say goodbye to bluescreens of death etc.

Waaaaaaaaah? I remember severely crashing my uni macs all the time. And the unix boxes. And the windows boxes.

Hmmm ... maybe that was just me then. I can't crash my XP laptop now though! Although I'll be destroying it tonight by putting Debian (or Ubuntu, I'll try both) on it.

Oct 29, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #145 of 161
No OS is perfect, but OSX/BSD combo is as close to it as I have seen and far more stable than anything that ever came out of Redmond.

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #146 of 161
Just before Head-fi went down, I'd joined the ranks of Mac owners with the purchase of my first Apple product, an iMac. All the free time I gained with Head-fi out of commission allowed me time to go Mac crazy. Today, two weeks later I now own the iMac, a MacBook, a 23" hd Cinema Display, and an iPod....along with a bunch of new software. Who would of thought that spending time on Head-fi was actually saving me money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 12:43 AM Post #147 of 161
Quote:

Who would of thought that spending time on Head-fi was actually saving me money.
smily_headphones1.gif

lol. First time for everything
biggrin.gif

I have my eye on the 30" cinema display. Very drool worthy.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #148 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

the resolution and color on that thing is righteous.

Nov 26, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #149 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by SR-71Panorama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

Oh yes. I've been eyeing the refurbs for some time now, they go around $1,500.

Only thing is that I've moved mostly to using the laptop. I turned the desktop into a server and am in the process of dismantling the computer desk - I needed more room for the audio system.
biggrin.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:51 AM Post #150 of 161
I joined the ranks of the Mac faithful back in March of this year. Bought the "middle" MacBook after being "tired" of Windows and buying into all the hype about how Macs "just work".

"Once you go Mac you never go back!"

Not exactly.

Apple botched my MacBook repair and I had to go without it for a month until they finally replaced it. I like how I was trying to call Apple at one point during that whole repair fiasco.. I called and AppleCare was CLOSED for the day. What? CLOSED? I thought Apple was supposed to have "the best" customer support. Yet it closes after 6PM Pacific? And its not open on the weekend? I'd call that "terrible" support. Especially after my system was scratched up, the optical drive (the original failure) was made worse, and the mouse button was broken while out for repair. I'm not the only one this has happened to either. Head over to macrumors and ask around.

Then I started realizing I had spent more than $1400 (after taxes) on a system without a dedicated GPU. Even Dell's XPS M1330 offers a dedicated GPU for only a few dollars more than what the MacBook cost. I realized I could have spent several hundred dollars less and gotten much more powerful hardware. For $100 less I could build a Dell Inspiron 1520 with a 256MB GeForce 8600M GT, 9 cell (4 hours of real world battery life) battery, C2D, etc. Infact, the HP I'm typing this on was only a little more than $900 and it came with a dedicated GeForce and 2GB of RAM.

OS X is nice. But its extremely overrated. It's certainly not problem free. iLife is okay, but every app that isn't iPhoto goes ignored for the most part. The lack of 3rd party software kills OS X. DVD Player, even in Leopard, is an absolute joke and the image quality is terrible, and the sound quality is even worse thanks to the lack of LFE decoding.

Every little useful utility for OS X costs money in some way. Theres absolutely no choice of firewalls that block outbound traffic. You basically have two choices of disc burning.. Apple's built-in software or Toast. Toast is awful, so you're left with OS X's very limited tools. Then you have other utilities that are "donation" based.. where you have the author of the software forcing people to "donate" amounts of $50 or more to download the software.

I've honestly considered wiping OS X off of my Mac and putting Vista on it. At least then I'd get it to be fully functional without having to pay out the ass (have a legitimate Vista Home Premium license I received for free).

Apple's recent business practices and build quality issues have had me thinking twice too. I'm someone who bought a lot of those iPod games for my 5.5G 80GB iPod. Apple gave absolutely NO indication of any kind that those games would not be compatible with future iPods. Steve Jobs didn't even mention anything to that nature when the new iPods were announced. In fact, he made a very clear point that the new iPod nanos would play iPod games because thats what customers wanted. Little did we know that we would be forced to purchase all of those games again if we wanted to play them on our new iPods. Which reminds me, I need to re-file my BBB complaint against Apple, since they refuse to allow me to upgrade to the newer ones or give me a refund. Let's not forget that the new iPod nanos are plagued with tilted screens. I'm on my 3rd one now, and even it has a titled screen. Ridiculous. The iPod touch and their screen issues. The new iMacs having condensation issues. And those of us who have iPhones were, until very recently, deliberately blocked from using our own sounds as ringtones. But I'm sure Apple will "fix" that soon enough.

I still have my MacBook and I use it regularly. But I'm happier with my HP. I put XP on it and it has been faster than my Mac ever is and I have not had a single issue at all. Not any kind of instability or anything.

Apple lost me as a customer. Their prices are outrageous, telling me I can't use my own sounds as a ringtone is bad.. but ripping me off on the iPod games (stealing $50 from me is as bad as stealing $5,000) is what pushed me over the line.

I'm on the edge of selling all of my Apple products (MacBook, 4 iPods, iPhone). I'd only sell my iPhone to someone who would unlock it and use it on T-Mobile though.

I'm done with Apple. I'll either sell my current Apple products or just keep them and not buy another one. I am tempted, however, to unlock my iPhone myself. I really don't like the fact that Apple is making $18 or so a month off me that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back