Defected to Appleland!
May 11, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #61 of 161
Well, I've decided, I'm finally getting a mac (have been eyeing dem powerbooks since the first TiBook)! I'm waiting on the newest MBP's with LED backlight (and maybe a speedbump), which will hopefully be announce early next week, and if not, then at WWDC. June 11, get here faster, dammit!

Soon, I too shall defect! Oh, and congrats on the macbook, perfect form factor.

May 12, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #62 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by vagarach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've decided, I'm finally getting a mac (have been eyeing dem powerbooks since the first TiBook)! I'm waiting on the newest MBP's with LED backlight (and maybe a speedbump), which will hopefully be announce early next week, and if not, then at WWDC. June 11, get here faster, dammit!

Soon, I too shall defect! Oh, and congrats on the macbook, perfect form factor.

welcome, my friend, welcome.

May 12, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #63 of 161
Cross over children!
All are welcome! --all welcome!
Go into the Light!
There is peace and serenity in the Light!

May 12, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #64 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First time Mac owner as of an hour ago. Thus far, the Macbook is really a treat. The aesthetics are very nice and everything is great now that I figured out how to invoke the secondary click on the trackpad. I don't think I will ever kick my addiction to the right-click mouse function.

Now my journey begins by perusing through the operating system, understanding how information is stored, etc.

Way to go, Usagi! The timing is interesting, for about an hour before I read your post, I was heaving the stripped carcass of my PC into the scrap metal dumpster at the local recycling center. The monitor and keyboard went to the DAV. The only useful thing was the IBM optical mouse which works very well with my iMac. Just plug it in and use, and none of that "You have a new device..." stuff. The first thing I found out was that the iMac is a formidable hi-fi device, using good-quality powered speaks or headphones. Use good audio monitors with your Mac, you won't be disappointed.

Laz

Jun 14, 2007 at 5:31 PM Post #65 of 161
Since application launchers were mentioned several times in this thread, for those trying to decide, TUAW had a video podcast on several today.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #66 of 161
Is there a Mac media player better than VLC? I use it for some videos now as well as audio. I'm trying to learn to remote control the audio.

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #67 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a Mac media player better than VLC? I use it for some videos now as well as audio. I'm trying to learn to remote control the audio.

"better" in what way? plays more video/audio types (hard to find one that does more)? or nicer/better interface?

check out the open source democracy player...i'm liking it...it's internet tv, but also plays a bunch of video files already on your 'puter...

Jun 14, 2007 at 6:45 PM Post #68 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lazarus Short /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first thing I found out was that the iMac is a formidable hi-fi device, using good-quality powered speaks or headphones. Use good audio monitors with your Mac, you won't be disappointed.

Yep, the iMac has good quality sound inside!
biggrin.gif
Wolffson DAC's, if I'm not wrong, similar to what's used inside the iPod. What's even better is if you have a DAC set up to take TOSlink or Co-axial, because of the built-in optical audio feature.

Quote:

Not found one as good as VLC yet... but still looking!

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:22 PM Post #70 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never looked back...

Neither have I (but I switched to Linux)

I have a couple of friends that switched to Ubuntu from OSX and like it more, it certainly is a viable option now.

Jun 14, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #71 of 161
Quote:

QT with Perian should at least be looked at.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCC /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Neither have I (but I switched to Linux)
I have a couple of friends that switched to Ubuntu from OSX and like it more, it certainly is a viable option now.

At least more viable. Some of us are running OS X and Ubuntu (and Windows).

Jun 15, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #72 of 161
Well, my new Macbook Pro came in today, so I've now officially defected! I was waiting on the LED screens, and the wait was well worth it, the screen is entirely grain/sparkle free.

Hopefully the experience 6 months down the road will be just as good as it is now!

biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 7:54 PM Post #75 of 161
Welcome to the Mac side of life! I've had my 17" MacBook Pro since September and I love it. Lately though it has been having some repeated kernel panic issues, I have been unable to nail down the cause so far. If it gets more frequent I'll have to send it in for service.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back