Defected to Appleland!
Feb 18, 2007 at 9:52 AM Post #16 of 161
Congrats on the Macbook!

If you don't like the trackpads single click you couldn't you just use a regular usb mouse?

About the BSOD comment: When I had OS X I had several white screens of death.

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #17 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by 450 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats on the Macbook!

If you don't like the trackpads single click you couldn't you just use a regular usb mouse?

About the BSOD comment: When I had OS X I had several white screens of death.

Two fingers + click on the trackpad = right-click.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, those are kernel panics. Happens quite rarely nowadays though... it's usually Microsoft Office that crashes and causes them.
blink.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #18 of 161
Feb 19, 2007 at 2:56 AM Post #21 of 161
Make sure to download Butler or Quicksilver or buy Launchbar as an application launcher. Lots of good ones on OS X and speeds up working.

Feb 19, 2007 at 3:53 AM Post #22 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make sure to download Butler or Quicksilver or buy Launchbar as an application launcher. Lots of good ones on OS X and speeds up working.

QFT. I never touch the dock anymore, thanks to Quicksilver.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #23 of 161
As mentioned Quicksilver and Audio Hijack Pro are great programmes.

www.pure-mac.com is also a good site with recommendations. www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ is good, too.

Other Mac-specific apps I'm using on a constant basis:
- Appzapper (for uninstalling programmes)
- SuperDuper (for doing backups - the shareware lets you do backups but with the full version for $30 you can do smart backups which only takes 3 minutes if you already have a previous backup)
- Parallels Desktop (for the few programmes that aren't available on Mac)
- Adiumx (msn, yahoo, aim, etc.)
- Toast (the Nero for Mac)
- Perian (codec package for Quicktime; otherwise VLC has various codecs already integrated)
- Onyx (cleans and optimizes your system, to be used from time to time)

More specific use apps
- X-Chat Aqua (best IRC client)
- Fetch (great FTP client)
- Max (codec converter but it's not as good as dbpoweramp)
- Shapeshifter (for changing themes)
- Iridium (my favourite theme and the one I'm using, which is simply Mac's Aqua with platinum colour instead of brushed metal, very easy on the eyes)

Then of course the Windows programmes that are on Mac such as Office, Adobe CS, Skype, etc.

Another thing is that it takes a bit of time to get used to Apple's Mail, address book and iCal, but I find it to be a coherent and more easy-to-use package that I prefer it over Microsoft Entourage (Outlook on Mac). Mail also lets you access exchange servers.

Macs aren't perfect either but the times where I just want to punch the computer screen has been reduced to a mininum since I got a Mac. And you can always use Parallels Desktop for the few Windows programmes that aren't so good or not available on Mac, or Boot Camp if you're into games.

Quote:

Now get over to Doug's Applescripts, download iTunes-LAME, experiment with Audio Hijack Pro and see how far iTunes can be expanded

Which plug-ins are you using in Audio Hijack Pro?

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:03 AM Post #24 of 161
I'm not currently using any additional VST plugins in AHP besides the the better than iTunes EQ. Previously though I used Canz3D and RubyTube.

BTW, I was a Quicksilver fan for quite awhile. I've recently switched to Butler as it's much quicker. It depends on how you're using either app, but as an application launcher for speed LaunchBar is the quickest, then Butler, then QuickSilver. There are other apps like F10.

Another very cool recent app is Think. Clear your screen for productivity.

Also a freeform database is a must and a strong advantage of OS X (still shocked there isn't more options here on Windows). SOHO Notes (StickyBrain), Yojimbo, or my fave - DEVONthink are the big three (but there are others).

And download MacTheRipper and Handbrake for vids.

Finally if you want to wow people in the Windows world, Delicious Library is a good one to do it.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:24 AM Post #25 of 161
Quote:

Another very cool recent app is Think. Clear your screen for productivity.

Wow, that's a really nice little app.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:44 AM Post #26 of 161
One more. Alt-tab in Windows switches between all windows. In OS X it does apps. You can use Alt-~ to switch windows within an app, but if you want the MS switching between multiple windows of various apps try Witch.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #27 of 161
Quote:

One more. Alt-tab in Windows switches between all Windows. In OS X it does apps. You can use Apple-Tab to switch Windows within an app, but if you want the MS switching between multiple Windows of various try Witch.

So cool, this is one thing that often bugs me when working on several Word documents at once because I don't like how Apple sees apps and not windows like Windows does (great pun). Do you have more apps like this that make life easier?

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #28 of 161
All that I can think of is:
EasyFind, which does a better job than Spotlight most of the time and can show hidden files.
Plain Clip, which can be activated to deformat text in the clipboard. I use this everyday.

iClip (or free iClip Lite widget) isn't bad either (though some functionality is in Butler, SOHONotes, etc.) Disk Inventory X for finding what's taking over your HD. Smultron or TextWrangler (I use both) for text writing/processing/coding especially when used with services from other apps.

And I should have mentioned earlier, Journler, is a donationware alternative for keeping notes. I love DEVONthink, but Journler is worth checking out.

Feb 19, 2007 at 7:44 AM Post #30 of 161
congrats on the switch...i think you'll like the mac very much.

couple of thoughts...

i'd been a big promoter of Quicksilver, as it's so powerful and there's so much upside to this (almost) wonderful app...but i can't recommend it anymore b/c it's the biggest ram hog i've ever seen. there are times where i've had to quit it b/c it was taking up almost 200mb of memory...and this happens quite often.

i've become quite fond of apps that increase my productivity - Think is an interesting program and i've not used it enough to figure out whether it will remain on my computer. but WriteRoom, Spirited Away, Doodim, Backdrop, and MenuShade all reduce the distractions on my mac and actually do make me more productive. check them out.

MediaFork is an updated version of Handbrake that you might want to check out...and the best word processing app on the mac is Mellel. it's one of the few apps that i gladly pay for (most other apps i recommend tend to be freeware or minimal shareware).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back