Defeating Subjectivist Arguments - Strategy and Tactics
Apr 14, 2015 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

wakibaki

1000+ Head-Fier
Subjectivist thinking is flawed.

Subjectivist arguments always depend on a misrepresentation.

If a scientist is worth his salt he will defeat a subjectivist on a level playing field.

In order to maintain a subjectivist outlook a disorganized personality is required. A inconsistent world view is to be anticipated. This is likely to afford opportunities to discombobulate the opponent.

When the ideas of subjectivism were first mooted, more conventional reviewers were taken by surprise, as were a scientifically-minded section of the public.

Gentlemen engineers and scientists, they never for a moment imagined the depths to which the argument would sink. For this reason they were a bit slow off the mark to comprehensively dismiss the nonsense being talked, before it got a toehold. They used moderate language, for they were accustomed to arguing in a moderate atmosphere. They didn't realize they might as well have talked moderation to Goebbels.

The gloves are off now, however. Every trick of rhetoric, every courtroom legal stunt is to be anticipated to be used in defence of unsubstantiated and unsubstantiable claims. The one good thing about this is that it points up the poverty of good arguments available.

I have some rules that I use for dealing with those fallacious arguments and obstreperous individuals.

I suspect that beneath the superficialities of the individual sophistries these arguments are classifiable. By that I mean that a decision tree could be developed to deal with them. The beauty of this approach is that it can't be employed in reverse, since the scientific approach is purged of fallacy by peer review. There are no patterns of illogic to discover.

Some individuals can be argued to a standstill and still continue to post. It's important to identify these as quickly as possible, because when other people understand what is going on, the oxygen of attention frequently becomes scarce.

Just one of the patterns I have noticed is the 'super objectivist'. You must be familiar with this one. He wants to shake us out of our complacent acceptance of theories which he himself doesn't understand. At some point he will attempt to introduce some 'evidence' which the regular objectivists have ignored. This guy has doomed himself to defeat by his lip-service to scientific test. It's just a question of keeping your eye on exactly what he says, waiting for the self-contradiction, and grinding away until he cracks. You know he's got to crack, because he's a subjectivist in objectivist's clothing.

Anyway before I talk about strategy, I'll give somebody else a go. If anybody else is interested.

Apr 14, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2 of 11
Simples:

Life is too short to waste on "pushing a chain up hill". Best to just ignore them and they will go away.

Unfortunately there will always be a few who will take the bait. Don't be one of those.

Apr 15, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #3 of 11
@ab initio's signature http://www.paulgraham.com/disagree.html

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #5 of 11
Hi Bufferoverflow,

Yes. For listening test currently I don't know alternative of double blind test for more "objective" results.

However double blind test is not panacea. As any measurement method, it must applied correctly.

If DBT done with 1-3 man and/or 2-3 trying once, it is not correctly applied the method.

For same reserches must participate 100 and more peoples, each must done 100 and more tryings.

To results impact place of listening. If one pair of speakers listened 3 people x 3 rows, each man has different listening conditions due apperture of speakers, etc.

Best regards,
Yuri  Korzunov

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #6 of 11
  Hi Bufferoverflow,

Yes. For listening test currently I don't know alternative of double blind test for more "objective" results.

However double blind test is not panacea. As any measurement method, it must applied correctly.

If DBT done with 1-3 man and/or 2-3 trying once, it is not correctly applied the method.

For same reserches must participate 100 and more peoples, each must done 100 and more tryings.

To results impact place of listening. If one pair of speakers listened 3 people x 3 rows, each man has different listening conditions due apperture of speakers, etc.

Best regards,
Yuri  Korzunov

If the point is to prove something is potentially audible, one single example is sufficient, as long as enough trials were performed for the desired confidence level. You don't need 100 people.

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #7 of 11
  If the point is to prove something is potentially audible, one single example is sufficient, as long as enough trials were performed for the desired confidence level. You don't need 100 people.

Hi Cjl,

I said about exact from technical point of view test.

Small number of checking we can consider as information for thinking.

Also need developed  and accepted methodics, accepted working group (who control test executing), protocol of test, serial numbers of apparatus, checksum of software (tested and used for measurements), signed by working group.

After it DBT can be considered as correct.

Otherwise, test easy denied.

True DBT is expensive procedure. As any official measurements.

Example:

As audio software developer I can't claim about superiority my audio conversion software based on own double blind test.

I can refer to independent expertise only, that done compliant DBT.

As work variant I collect feedback after experiments with algorithms.
Or feedback about sounding current algorithms.
However it's information for thinking too. There are many factors impacting to sound.

Best regards,
Yuri Korzunov

Apr 15, 2015 at 4:54 PM Post #8 of 11
I guess I would ask the question - Why do you even care what someone else thinks they hear?  Listening to music and dinking around with equipment, cables, etc is a hobby or pastime.  What or how folks go about it individually is a personal preference.   I have a friend who upgrades his speakers just about every 6 months.  I'm listening to the same ones I got in 2000.  I think it's a little crazy and he should probably spend his money on other things in his system.  But speakers are his thing and that's OK.  He hears something new and "better" with each upgrade.  That's part of how he enjoys the hobby.  If other folks want to do it with $1000 cables or other equipment that gives them pleasure, why would you want to burst their bubble?  Life's crappy enough as it is.  If somebody finds a refuge in suspect audio tweaks, more power to them.  Live and let live, dude.

Apr 15, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 11
We care because all the drivel has consequences, one of them being that upgrading speakers and "upgrading" wires apparently makes as much (or little) sense to some people .
The "problem" with that is : Speakers DO matter, hugely . Wires don't .

Apr 15, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #11 of 11
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to allow this forum to be used to degrade and attack others, and subsequently go about trolling threads on products or types of products which one doesn't like and trashing people's enjoyment, however much you may not agree with it. 

Collectively strengthening beliefs followed by attacks on others is the realm of religion. This a science forum, not a religion forum. Last I checked science was about the positive aspects of discovery and learning, not about waging philosophical wars.

I'd strongly suggest creating threads that are educative and invite discussion that industry veterans would be interested in. As it is, there is a serious lack of good technical discussion that can be translated into things that are useful for ordinary people and most people with extensive technical knowledge and ability will absolutely not post here because of attitudes like what is in this thread. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back