Deeper seating foam tips for GR07?
Nov 12, 2011 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

swoody

New Head-Fier
Hello world!

I recently acquired a set of GR07 headphones and have been enjoying them greatly thus far. The only concern I have is with the tips which are included with them. The dual-flange rubber tips and the foam tips are about equal to me in terms of sound quality and isolation, but the foam tips have the rubber ones beat tenfold in terms of comfort. However, I have found the stock foam tips to be very finicky when I'm on the move and there is little margin for error when they're seated. On my walk to / from work they wind up coming *just* loose enough to lose a good seal and I find myself having to readjust them pretty regularly. While sitting at home or in the office they sound great though, and I have no complaints.

So my question is, are there any models of foam tips out there which have a deeper or more solid fit compared to the stock ones? Will I have to look into dual or triple flange rubber tips to get the fit I'm looking for? Any input or opinions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
- Woody

Nov 12, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #2 of 14
Comply T-400 or TX-400, I have bought the medium size tips but you could buy all 3 sizes, then you can find the one that fits you best, then buy some more of the right size when you found your size.

Nov 13, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Comply T-400 or TX-400, I have bought the medium size tips but you could buy all 3 sizes, then you can find the one that fits you best, then buy some more of the right size when you found your size.

Do you have a pair of GR07's? Can you confirm for sure that the Comply T-400 fit the GR07's? Also, do they actually seat deeper or were you just recommending to try the different sizes for a better fit?

Thanks!

Nov 13, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #4 of 14

Quote:

Do you have a pair of GR07's? Can you confirm for sure that the Comply T-400 fit the GR07's? Also, do they actually seat deeper or were you just recommending to try the different sizes for a better fit?

Thanks!

Yes i own a pair of GR07's, i can confirm Comply T-400 and TX-400 fit the phones fine.  They can fit very deep, if you push them right on, they seal very very well if you push them in enough,

Nov 14, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #5 of 14
I need to get my hands on the GR07! So many good things are being said about it, i cannot wait to hear them firsthand. 
i am happy i do not have to buy more comply tips too since i have the tx-400 for another iem. 

Dec 15, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #6 of 14

I just received my Comply T-400 tips today, and have been listening to them for a few hours now on my GR07's. There are some aspects that I'm loving, some that I'm liking, and some I'm not too fond of.

Fit - First, the tips themselves only fit firmly when seated over the wider base of the nozzle. This makes me wonder whether the fit will be strong enough for a lot of trips in and out of my ears or if they will pop off on their own and get lost. On my first day of using them they are still snug and I have no complaints at this time. After putting these on and listening to a few of my 'test' tracks there was one thing I noticed... errr... rather I *didn't* notice, and that was the complete and utter comfort they provided. In all honestly I hadn't noticed it until I did, but after a few minutes of having them in the only thing I could feel was the cable behind my ear. The earphones had completely disappeared and I was TRYING to feel them. This realization took over my thoughts for a few minutes. I gave them the good ol "let's shake my head really hard" test and they did not budge at all, not even a micron. I also tried various things which has made previous tips move around - eating, smoking, yawning - again, no movement whatsoever.  I thought the foam tips supplied by VSonic were good, but compared to the Comply's they feel like lead weights stapled to your head. These things have won my vote in the fit department for their comfort, seal, and stability. If you need something to stay in place while on the treadmill, at work as a jackhammer operator, or if you walk face-first into a lot of objects I would suggest trying these out.

Sound - Now onto the part where I scratch my chin a bit. As mentioned by others who have used foam tips - notably the Comply's - these do increase the bass of the IEM quite noticeably. Ok, they don't really increase the bass, but between the better seal and the soft foam muffling some of the highs they lend a rather low overall tone. However, I never had the impression the GR07's needed more bass. I don't know whether I got blessed with a pair which is missing the epitomical sibilance, or whether I just enjoyed the clear and detailed highs more than I thought I did. To me this increased bass doesn't sound natural, it feels more like some kind of bass-boost and it can be quite noticeable depending on what you're listening to. When listening to some acoustic guitar and some lighter indie music they all sounded slightly faded and a bit muffled. The deeper parts of the guitar chords would also overpower the highs, so you wind up with the details being pushed into the background even more. This lower tone can work to your advantage though. I must admit I have come across quite a few tracks where the extra bass has been an improvement  - some electronic music, dubstep (Thank you Captain Obvious!), various rock, and other genres may actually benefit from the increased low-end if that is the kind of thing you are looking for.

Overall I would give these a thumbs up and a positive recommendation when paired with the GR07. I cannot say anything bad about the fit or comfort of these tips and have actually been pleasantly surprised by them. I would highly suggest starting off with one of the multi-size sets if this is your first time purchasing the T-400 tips. The sizes are not wildly varied, but the small changes do add up to a noticeable difference in fit and comfort. Depending on the genres you listen to and your personal preferences the increased low-end may be a hinderance, a benefit, or a nonissue completely.

- Woody

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #8 of 14

Quote:
I personally think that Comply tips degrade GR07 SQ, I personally use Shure grey silicone tips for this, as the hybrids don't go deep enough into my ear

Have you noticed a decreased sound stage from those tips? The opening seems rather small and I'm curious how that affects the sound of the GR07.

Dec 16, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Too bad I didn't see this topic earlier, I could have told you how T400 foams would muffle the sound of these IEMs (same effect as with Sennheiser IE8).
I got way better results with Ts400, the spherical Comply foams. Same fit, but they don't extend as much as the T400 over the nozzles so no muffling at all.

I personnaly find Sony Hybrids bad for IEMs with large nozzles, they just affect details and soundstage due to the small bore diameter.

Dec 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #10 of 14
Ok, wow. I picked up a set of Ts400's and they really do make a difference as far as not muddling the sound. They feel nearly identical to the standard T-400's to boot. I tried them out on ~1.5hrs walking to / from work last night and they stayed in place even with a winter hat on. I am going to do some A/B testing when I get a chance, but they are looking pretty nice so far :)

Happy Holiidays, everyone!

Aug 7, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #11 of 14
is the difference really that noticeable... also I feel when u get deeper seated tips and push them down to the lowest part of the nozzle ( the only way they will fit) it somehow reduces sq... like vocals mostly feel further away im using the Comply t 400 but def going to to get some tx's now ive also tried the jays tips that are highly regarded and there was almost no soundstage and it made them sound like crap.... so yea basically i dont know if this is a question but do u think the txs,, well decrease the tunneling effect ( muffling) just an update would be good lol

thanks

May 8, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 14
Ok, wow. I picked up a set of Ts400's and they really do make a difference as far as not muddling the sound. They feel nearly identical to the standard T-400's to boot. I tried them out on ~1.5hrs walking to / from work last night and they stayed in place even with a winter hat on. I am going to do some A/B testing when I get a chance, but they are looking pretty nice so far :)

Happy Holiidays, everyone!

I had some complys on TF10's, but hated what they did to the mids/treb.

TS400 sound same as Sony hybrids?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back