deep space nine, my favorite star trek series, name your fav episodes
Oct 1, 2009 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, Yeah I too am not a wesley crusher fan. I tried to like him I really did but he is just the mary sue of star trek if that makes sense. Laforge on the other hand now thats a different story...The only klingon words I know are kapla, par mach and t'pach (sorry phoenetic spelling).
I was not a fan of the movies, too much action, too little story/plot. I havent seen the new movie yet nor the tng based ones.
I want to get into the star trek novels although I do not think many of them will be that good.
oh btw any music that reminds you of star trek in any way either in melody or in message/lyrics or in mood?
Greetings, Anouk,

Oh no 'Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra' isn't Klingon it's from an episode of TNG ("Darmok" don't worry I looked it up) where Picard tries to communicate with a race that only speaks in metaphors. I think the episode is amusing.

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #18 of 24
The few times I tuned in to DS9, and I will admit I haven't seen it much, it seemed kindof boring to me.

I watched TNG for quite a while and loved it for the most part even though the hand-painted backgrounds were pretty ridiculous. Picard, Data, Worf, and a few other of the characters are great.

I also watched voyager as a kid and enjoyed it, but I don't think it's as good as TNG. It seemed a bit less content-filled and more popcorn driven.

Maybe this will inspire me to give DS9 a chance.

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #19 of 24
ello, Well since I just spent all night finising ds9, tats right no sleep for me, here are my favourite episodes:
season 1
the forsaken (lwaxana visits the station and falls for odo creating problems for him).
duet (nerys is determined to bring down a cardassian war criminal)

season 2
necessary evil (odo reopens a 5-year old case and discovers one of nerys' secrets).
the wire (Elim garak goes through a difficul time)

season 3
past tense (Benjamin sisko goes accidentally back in time and has to make sure the timeline does not get contaminated)
improbable cause/ the die is cast (very nice garak/odo scenes).

season 4
indiscretion (Dukat and Nerys must work together)
little green men (the ferengi go back in time to 20th century earth and try to cause trouble)
homefront/paradise lost (the siskos must go to earth and unravel a conspiracy)
bar assosiation (problems at the bar, rom getting away from quark).

season 5
things past (we learn about a terrible mistake that odo made in the past)
the begotten (odo must deal with his 'family')
business as usual (quark has a conscience)
ties of blood and water (angst for nerys)
ferengi love songs (love and betrayal)

season 6
waltz (Dukat has mental problems)
far beyond the stars (an ode to the first big sci-fi writers of the 20th century).
wrongs darker then death or night (Nerys learns some painful truths about her mother)
in the pale moonlight (simply the best garak episode)

season 7
treachery faith and the great river (finally a heroic vorta and I just love Nog).
covenant (Nerys gets captured by a cult which is led by dukat).
its only a paper moon (the best nog story ever).
chimes (I finally learnt what it must be like fo rodo to be a cangeling among humans and i questioned wether or not he should stay).
(I also really like the end story arc especially the kai winn/dukat bits).
I dont know wy i dont care that much for tng while everyone else seems to, i just could not connect with it that well,
Greetings, Anouk,

Oct 1, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #20 of 24
The problem I have with TOS and TNG is the episodic nature and lack of character development. Don't get me wrong: both shows have strong, well-acted characters, but there is very little development.

Voyager is a great show, but the constant wishy washy pushing of Starfleet ideals tends to wear a little thin. Also, the way they wrapped up the show always bugged me. Seven seasons of trying to get home, then out of the blue, they're home, THE END.

DS9 is my favourite Star Trek series, which is saying something, considering I grew up watching TNG. It's extremely character-driven, has long story arcs, and explores much darker and more human themes than the other Trek series.

ENT is infuriatingly bad sometimes, but it's also very character-driven, which makes it appeal to me. I am sad that it was cancelled.

Side note: TOS remastered is a lot easier to watch than the original. It's surprising how much of a difference updating a few special effects makes.

Oct 1, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #21 of 24
I have to say that I have to agree with you bob. I find character development interaction and relatiosnhips very important, what impact do certain situations have on characters. You just dont see that when the reset button is pressed as is after every tng and tos episode. I understand that the message behind the episodes is important and I really do get most of hte messages in tos but with tng this is another matter. I found many of the tos episodes interessting in a classic sc-fi sort of way, worlds that are controlled by computers, robots, artificial intelligence, war without fighting etc etc. I agree that the endings to tas tos tng and voy were totally anti-climax, ds9 was the best where this is concerned, i really digged the last 10 episodes. Indeed, with voyager the starfleed morals can get on your neres a bit but I really admire Janeways steadfastness and tenacity in these difficult times. I also really really like the darker themes in ds9, I understand that Gene roddenberry had designed the federation of planets and starfleet as an idea lworld but its not always good in paradise and not everyone wants to live in this idealistic harmony. This humanity went a bit far at times though, it took me a long long time to get used to captain sisko. Also all the religious themes made me a bit uncomfortable, I did not mind the bajorans belief but I did mind the fact that sisko was their religious icon as well as a star fleet officor and I did not like the fact that he turned out to be half-prophet and htat he joined them in the end. I think that message is non-star trek.
Greetings, Anouk

Oct 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #22 of 24
I enjoy ST but I'm not a fanatic. I've watched all the shows and movies and have enjoyed all of them. I like each show for the differences they presented. I'll watch any ST show or movie over any "reality" tv show today, that's for certain. I've been to a few ST cons and nothing is funnier than watching your husband's younger brother freak out seeing people dressed up! He actually tried to go back down the up escalator! Too funny. Now, of course, he's an adult and loves it all. For me it was great to meet Mark Lenard. He was extremely nice and wonderful to talk to. I also met Walter Koenig, unfortunately at a time when he was still bitter and it was very unbecoming.

Oops! I forgot I also met Leonard Nimoy when he was doing "In Search Of" and he came to my college for a presentation seminar.

Oct 1, 2009 at 2:03 PM Post #23 of 24
Hello, I wonder why you, as an actor, would go to a convention if you don tlike it. It cant bring THAT much money. I would have loed to meet Mark, I love the character of Sarek, he is one of my favourite tos characters although he dropped the accent after the tos episode journey to babel. I would have also loved to meet Majel Barrett (I really like her as lwaxana troi and also as Nurse Chapel, Spock was my favourite tos character too) I was really sad when I read that she had died.
I wonder if there are still big star trek cons these days?
I even watched the spoof galaxy quest, i loved it.
I still want to check trekkies and trekkies 2 although I dont expect much.
I think cons should be a fun event for all the participating parties, if you dont like tat kind of thing then dont go...
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back