DECWARE HAS RELEASED A DAC!! ZDAC-1
May 18, 2010 at 12:26 PM Post #77 of 108
Hi Currawong!

You're welcome to any information you wish from me. As far as any connection between myself and Steve, the only one is my relationship as a customer since 1997. I've owned Decware equipment since the purchase of Zen amp #27, the 27th amp he shipped, built before Rev. A, B, or C, a cool little amp.  I've gone on to buy four more amplifiers since then (only selling one, the Select, at least so far) and to purchase their ZBox, ZCD, DEC685, ZCD and CSP2 components, and RL1, RL2 and (not on the Website) IT speakers in the Radial series. I'm an experienced, loyal, and satisfied Decware customer. I've posted on their forums since the day I bought #27.

For several years Steve had let it known he was working on a digital source for his product line and I have had my ear to the ground.  I got cable for the first time last summer, and realized that the analog out from my cable DVR was really not up to snuff in comparison to my other sources. A DAC from Decware seemed promising to me, fan of Steve's designs that I am. At first it seemed as if Steve was going to market an over 5,000 dollar DAC/headphone amp/preamp that I am sure is the cat's meow, but out of my price range.  I then tried two DACs I had on hand, a Cambridge Audio Iso, and the DAC in the Peach Tree Audio Decco that I have, and the sound was much improved from the DVR.  Just as I decided a newer DAC would be a nice final component for my current system, Steve announced that ZDAC-1, and I placed an order. (And when the ZDAC-1 arrived, I felt immediately that the sound was the best I'd yet heard from the DVR).

As soon as I did I of course became a bit obsessed about finding out whatever I could about the machine.  Waiting for Steve's products is a necessary thing that can be a bit exciting. When I learned that a few units had shipped, I looked around to see what there might be online as far as product announcements or forum threads, or possibly even a first review.   I checked here, because though I haven't registered previously, I have perused these forums and found a lot of interesting and helpful information, and some entertaining reading for an audio enthusiast. I also am aware that several of the audiophiles I've most enjoyed interacting with on the web over the years have had Head-Fi amps and/or been participants in the forum. A thread for the ZDAC-1 was already four pages long, sparked a bit by the controversy over the use of a Chinese board. 

I confess that I have no problem typing words into cyberspace, so in typical fashion I went on and on about my experiences with the ZDAC-1.  Hope I didn't endanger anyone with drowsiness . . . :)

I AM interested in reading about the ZDAC-1 and hope that there is more to read about, I would like to see this product in the hands of and aimed at the ears of others, but I receive no compensation for anyone purchasing one other than the satisfaction of possibly communicating with someone about the machine itself in the future.

The ZDAC-1 is making very nice music right now as a Duke Ellington cd spins. :)

May 19, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #79 of 108
I'm with currawong on this one. It seems you only joined headfi only to rave on how good this dac is. This is based on your timing of joining this forum and the fact that all of your post are only on this product. You comments (for me at least) are already discredited because of this. This may be a really good product but your fanboyism has created doubt in my mind and perhaps others as well.

May 19, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #80 of 108

Quote:
I'm with currawong on this one. It seems you only joined headfi only to rave on how good this dac is. This is based on your timing of joining this forum and the fact that all of your post are only on this product. You comments (for me at least) are already discredited because of this. This may be a really good product but your fanboyism has created doubt in my mind and perhaps others as well.

Did you even bother reading his previous post above (#77 - you know, the massive one)? He's Lonson from the Decware forum.

Some of the behaviour on this thread is ridiculous and based purely on speculation.

May 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM Post #82 of 108
Thanks for the welcome and support Draca and Pyramid6!

Moodym,
Hey I totally understand that impression could wing into anyone's thoughts reading the posts and the fact that I'm a new poster only posting on this thread.

I've explained my position above and assure you that I am a fan of this product, and I really do want to discuss the product and especially wish to hear other reports and reviews.  I'm not selling the product or reaping any direct benefit from writing about it. I'm just being me.

There are two other user reports on the Decware site now.  I'm happy to have compadres in ownership of this DAC. I'm not likley to contribute a lot to other threads because I'm not a headphone user (I noted that in a previous post).

Anyone wishing to do any reading and research on me I'm Lonson on the All About Jazz and Steve Hoffman forums, I'm Lon on the Decware forums, and jazzbo on the Organissimo forums. 

Hope all are having a good week. 

May 19, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #83 of 108

Quote:
Did you even bother reading his previous post above (#77 - you know, the massive one)? He's Lonson from the Decware forum.

Some of the behaviour on this thread is ridiculous and based purely on speculation.

My behavior wasn't based on speculation. It was based on facts. The fact that he only appeared soon after the product was released is a FACT. The fact that all his post had only been posted in this thread praising this product is a FACT. I didn't accuse him of being anything other than fanboyism(which is what it was). I stated what it looked like. And it did  look like what I stated it looked like. I find your behavior ridiculous. You should have gotten your facts straight to begin with. He and I have already communicated via pm. So this is being worked out between he and I and don't have anything to do with YOU.

May 21, 2010 at 1:43 PM Post #84 of 108
I am sorry you feel that way.

When I made the comment 'Some of the behaviour on this thread is ridiculous and based purely on speculation.' I was speaking generally, albeit after I had singled you out for having ignored Lonson's previous post. I of course, was unable to know that you and him were communicating via PM, nor was I aware you had some special status on head-fi as 'arbiter of truth'
rolleyes.gif
. There is no need to be belligerent and I certainly didn't intend to offend you. I just felt that in reading this thread there was some misinformation and ad hominem going on that I saw as unfair, and as such wanted to comment about it. I am not saying that *you* were responsible for said negativity, although it could have been taken that way.

Quote:

My behavior wasn't based on speculation. It was based on facts. The fact that he only appeared soon after the product was released is a FACT. The fact that all his post had only been posted in this thread praising this product is a FACT. I didn't accuse him of being anything other than fanboyism(which is what it was). I stated what it looked like. And it did  look like what I stated it looked like. I find your behavior ridiculous. You should have gotten your facts straight to begin with. He and I have already communicated via pm. So this is being worked out between he and I and don't have anything to do with YOU.

May 23, 2010 at 8:55 AM Post #85 of 108
When I read Draca's post I thought he was referring to the speculation about the quality of the amp based on the board stuffed in China for Decware.

I know why the concern began, but I've known Decware products for over a dozen years and one thing that distinguishes them is the build quality, they're just built with detail and care and ingenuity, I knew the ZDAC-1 would not be some slapped together cheap product.  I can see where having no direct experience with Decware one might entertain that thought, but with knowledge of Steve's practices and products, to claim they're over-priced run of the mill products seems a ridiculous claim.

May 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #87 of 108
i dont see the issue either.. im happy to hear peoples experience with this product.  the fact they are clearly a big fan of this brand, or that they joined to speak about it doesnt really raise a red flag in my opinion.. but hey everybody is entitled to feel and rant however they please...  as long as they dont have a potty mouth :wink:

May 23, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #89 of 108

Quote:
i dont see the issue either.. im happy to hear peoples experience with this product.  the fact they are clearly a big fan of this brand, or that they joined to speak about it doesnt really raise a red flag in my opinion.. but hey everybody is entitled to feel and rant however they please...  as long as they dont have a potty mouth :wink:

Completely agree.

May 24, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #90 of 108
The only problem I have with your post is that Steve is not "my buddy." Never met the man.  I think he and I have drastically different politics, not sure I'd "hang" with the man.  I HAVE supported his audio products because I've lived with many and KNOW how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back