Decisions, decisions... (Sony MDR-7506 or Audio Technica M50)
Sep 24, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #16 of 30
Oh heck, you mean it's just a slight bend? I thought you meant it was "bent-broken" kinda thing. Yeah, just carefully squeeze is straigth with a pair of pliers. If you don't want to scratch the plug too badly, just wrap some paper around it before squeezing with the pliers.

Sep 24, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #17 of 30

Quote:
Oh heck, you mean it's just a slight bend? I thought you meant it was "bent-broken" kinda thing. Yeah, just carefully squeeze is straigth with a pair of pliers. If you don't want to scratch the plug too badly, just wrap some paper around it before squeezing with the pliers.

If it's not bent back perfectly straight, will that affect the sound quality / transmission of sound / whatever it is?

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #18 of 30
There should be no noticeable change in sound as long electrical contact is established. It doesn't hurt to try right?

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #19 of 30

Quote:
There should be no noticeable change in sound as long electrical contact is established. It doesn't hurt to try right?

Uhhhh I suppose not, lol. Can anyone else vouch for this?

But honestly, I think I'm just going to sell the Sonys and get the M50s. If anyone else has any reasons why this is in fact the right/wrong decision, speak now or forever hold your peace!

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #20 of 30
Just buy it and get over with it.  You are already 85% sure you want it. Plus the M50 are built very well and they will last you.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #22 of 30
Look, it costs you no money and all of 10 seconds to fix your current headphones... but you're obviously just looking for us to give you an excuse to buy a new toy. There's nothing wrong with getting new gear as long as it's within your budget; you don't need us to help you justify your purchase. Heck, we should be trying to upsell you to bigger and better headphones. The M50s are seriously overrated here...

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:23 PM Post #23 of 30
No one can reassure that you'll be satisfied with the product 100%, all we can do is give you our experience and our perception of the situation.

Sometimes it's better to just be stupid and act more impulsive.

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Look, it costs you no money and all of 10 seconds to fix your current headphones

Well, yeah. But if the M50s really are better and more of what I'm looking for, I'll sell my Sonys and buy the ATs.
Quote:
but you're obviously just looking for us to give you an excuse to buy a new toy...you don't need us to help you justify your purchase.

I mean, yeah the M50s are sweet, but if everyone here (and people/reviews on other sites/places) said that the 7506s and M50s were almost identical or something like that, I'd most likely just get the Sonys repaired. And yes, while I don't need all of your opinions, I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask one of the best audio forums on the net to help me out. Sorry?
Quote:
The M50s are seriously overrated here...

Go on...

Sep 24, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #26 of 30

Quote:

There's no denying that the M50s are an excellent performer in their price bracket, but they get a lot of unwarranted hype here just because people who've never heard them parrot what others have said. I've owned the M50, Shure 840, M-Audio Q40, Sony V6 (predecessor to the 7506), and amoung those I prefer the Shures for their sound, or the Q40s when amped. Ultimately, I found them all a little lacking in one area or another and sold/traded them all and now have a Pioneer HDJ-2000 which I'm quite happy with, even though they're up a price bracket.

Since your guitar center let you try the M50s, they'd probably let you try some of the other ones as well. Maybe the M40s will give you near equivalent performance for half the price. Maybe you'd want to try a higher end Sony and listen to the 7509. Maybe a Beyer will catch your eye, or a good ol Senheiser will sway you.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #28 of 30
just like what everyone is saying, only you know what you like. So don't let someone tell you they are overrated and take it for granted.  It's your ear that knows what it likes.  One thing I learn through here is that everyone has an opinion about what sound good for them and in the end it's you who knows what is good for you.  Take there description to help you narrow the selection to your taste. Even what I tell you might not even be what you hear.

enough yapping and lets get to business. okay if finally decided that you want the M50 then what you can do is this, it'll help you  get them sooner if you want.

1. go to bhphotovideo.com and print out the pricing and description of the M50s (107.00)
2. go to the guitar center that you seen that has it in stock
3. tell them you want to price match it
4. then afterward tell them that they have a policy that states they will price match the price plus give you an additional
    10% difference of the price between the two (this should take care of the tax)
5. if they tell you otherwise, tell them it's on their website make them check it out because guitar center employee aren't
   that great and helpful
6. go home with your new headphone and enjoy them.
7. I believe guitar center accept them to be returned if you don't like them for a restocking fee. look up there policy to double check. memory kinda fuzzy

You can do this with other headphones too. good luck with you choice.  I think the M50 are great headphone that can perform well without an amp, portable enough since they fold well and comes with a bag,  they are built really well and are well thought out, they are a well rounded headphones. But just as everyone says to try some of the other one too that guitar center carries. At my guitar center they had about 8 headphones to try and I would call other guitar center in you city. different guitar center carries different inventory plus the bigger one have more to try out.

Oct 29, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #29 of 30
As my humble contribution to this thread, I tested both the Sony MDR-7506 and Audio Technica ATH-M50x side by side in various conditions: indoors/outdoors, sitting/walking, and with various music genres,...
My diagnostic, is that the Sony beat the AT in literally every aspect, especially comfort.
Pressure is lighter on your ears, sound is more spatial and less boomy, they are lighter and less bulky, frequency response is flatter as everyone know (like it or not), the bass on the Audio Technica are more aggressive and tiring, sound cancellation is roughly the same, clarity is better on the Sony. Altogether a more pleasant listening experience.
The only major drawback of the Sony is the long heavy coil cable, which is why I wanted to give a go to the Audio Technica, but altogether, a clear win for the 7506 IMO and on top of that they are cheaper.

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #30 of 30
Steak, thank you much for your informative direct comparison between the two models.  I read and read and read reviews online and had narrowed my choice down to a few options including the ATH-M50 and Sony MDR some time more than a year ago.  I ended up getting the ATH-M50 and like them fairly well (although I do find them a bit too bass heavy).  I found that Guitar Center has the MDR-7506 on sale for $60 today so I decided that I will finally try those at home too. 

Quote:

There's no denying that the M50s are an excellent performer in their price bracket, but they get a lot of unwarranted hype here just because people who've never heard them parrot what others have said. I've owned the M50, Shure 840, M-Audio Q40, Sony V6 (predecessor to the 7506), and amoung those I prefer the Shures for their sound, or the Q40s when amped. Ultimately, I found them all a little lacking in one area or another and sold/traded them all and now have a Pioneer HDJ-2000 which I'm quite happy with, even though they're up a price bracket.

Since your guitar center let you try the M50s, they'd probably let you try some of the other ones as well. Maybe the M40s will give you near equivalent performance for half the price. Maybe you'd want to try a higher end Sony and listen to the 7509. Maybe a Beyer will catch your eye, or a good ol Senheiser will sway you.

Hmm, I listened to the Shures they had at Sam Ash (640 and 440) I think and I like the ATH-M50s significantly better all around than either of those.  My gripe with the M50s is they are a little more bass heavy than neutral.  It really bugs me that they claim their suitable for "professional studio use" - IMO they are not neutral enough for that at all!

I'm here because although I've listened to the Sony's in store, I've always wanted to try them at home to see if they're not to "hot" on the treble end for me - I'd really like to have a very high value pair of headphones that is quite neutral and accurate beyond any other aspect.

EDIT: Well I bought a pair of the 7506 because they're on sale for $60.  We'll see how I like them compared to the ATH-M50...

Update: well, I have to listen longer before I can say which headphones [MDR-7506 or ATH-M50] I like better without any sort of EQ applied, however, when using digital correction "DDC", in this case, Sonarworks Reference 3 plug-in, I prefer the corrected ATH-M50 over the corrected 7506 (or either one un-corrected).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back