Decision, decision (first amp)
Jan 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ArmednInsane

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Thanks for all your help when I was deciding for my brother's gift this christmas.

Surprisingly, my brother got me a Denon D2000 for Christmas while I got him a Yuin PK1 hahaha

Anyway, I have to ask you guys for help again since there are information I can't get just by lurking. I want to get an amp for my D2000, and this time, I do not want a portable amp and want a home amp.

I listen to all kind of music, but mostly, Hip Hop, RnB, Instrumental and Jazz. What I look for in an amp is one that brings out more detail from my D2000 and increases its soundstage.

Currently, I am deciding between EF1 ($299) and WooAudio 3+($495) since those 2 seem to get most positive review.

However this will be my first home amp, and I am just riddled with questions:
1. Is WooAudio's improvement over EF1 worth that extra $200?
2. What do I need to know before I purchase my first amp? (do I need a power cable, tube, RCA cable, etc or is it supplied?) because I saw in a lot of the reviews, people change the power cable.

I have more questions but for now, this is what confusing me the most. I am currently leaning toward EF1 because it will be my first tube amp and I figure I could learn by experimenting with the EF1. But so far family and friends think investing in the WA3+ is a better investment decision.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but please post your input and insight, as it will help me make my decision.

Thank you in advance. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #2 of 15
Around those prices, Rockhopper has (or frequently has) M^3s. For under $400, it's gonna be REALLY hard to find an amp that will outperform an M^3.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:25 AM Post #3 of 15
I second the M3, it sounds real freaky naughty.

The EF1 is $399 now, sale is over. Lolz.

See my sig vv

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:01 AM Post #4 of 15
oh well, I knew the sale gotta end sometimes, its past christmas haha.

How does M3 compares to EF1 and WA? does it synergize well with D2000? (if there is such thing as synergy)

M3 = Mini 3 right?

what does balanced Mini 3 means? compare to regular Mini 3?

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 15
I haven't heard either the EF1 or that Woo, but the M3 is a pretty darn good amp, that competes way above it's pricerange. The DIY factor really saves you quite a bit of money compared to more commercial products.

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #6 of 15
the mini3 and the m3 are totally different amps.
the mini3 is a $150 portable. the m3 is a $400 full size/medium size amp.

The M3 is not being sold for a large profit - it takes Stephen a while to hand built them and they are not made of cheap parts, nor are they made from a small number of parts - it's six mosfets and three mono op amps driving a 3 channel design with an active ground channel. If you throw in the sigma-11 external power supply...it's a very sophisticated and powerful 2 box design. You can tune the sound a bit by op amp rolling - it uses op amps for voltage gain and transistors for current gain, according to AMB's tech tidbits.

The EF-1 is a well loved newcomer and the Woo is a perennial favorite and I am not at liberty to comment about how either of them sound. They're probably pretty sweet.

I do love this M3 though, it's pure solid state balls-out power.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 15
Oh, I see. I went to Rockhopper's site but it seems that no M3 is being sold right now. Prebuilt = order first then hand built? (sorry, English is not my first language).

So, if I want to get a full size amp, I also need power supply? this is more confusing than I thought. Would I be needing a pre-amp? if I do, what does a pre-amp do (is it the same as DAC)?

Currently, I am reading up on M3's review, and so far so good. Do you guys notice more detail and bigger soundstage?

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #8 of 15
Keep watching the prebuilt section. He builds them but not at your request. You wait until he builds one, then order it. It has a newsfeed you can subscribe too so that the new listings come up in your email client, if you know how to do all that.

Detail on the M3 is quite extreme, the bass is getting smoother and less overwhelming, the midrange is smoothing out slightly and getting richer...been breaking it in for 75 hours now. Soundstage is quite good but of course it depends on the song. Songs with a lot of soundstage have a very defined soundstage that is expansive and quite exciting. But yeah just read my M3 review, it's the link in my sig.

Jan 6, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #9 of 15
Oh yeah, my friend also said I should check out RSA's XP-7 and Headroom's desktop amp. Anyone ever tried the XP-7? Can't seem to find a review on that

Jan 6, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #10 of 15
Every amp should come with a power supply. There are upgrades for some, but all of them will come ready to use.

Do not get hung up on aftermarket cables. Just buy ones that work and thoroughly research them before you buy some pricey cable. They're highly controversial. Some people hear night and day differences and some think they're snake oil. I own a few aftermarket cables that I bought out of curiosity. I don't hear any difference. Maybe you would, but don't spend anything until you know what you're getting yourself into.

I'll also recommend the M^3, it is a terrific amp. You can build your own if that interests you. A couple more I like are the Gilmore Lite and the Eddie Current EC/SS. I haven't heard the two you mentioned, so no comment.

Jan 6, 2009 at 10:44 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmednInsane /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But so far family and friends think investing in the WA3+ is a better investment decision.

Your family and friends get involved in your hi-fi component purchasing decisions? I don't know whether to envy or pity you.
wink_face.gif

Jan 6, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Every amp should come with a power supply. There are upgrades for some, but all of them will come ready to use.

Do not get hung up on aftermarket cables. Just buy ones that work and thoroughly research them before you buy some pricey cable. They're highly controversial. Some people hear night and day differences and some think they're snake oil. I own a few aftermarket cables that I bought out of curiosity. I don't hear any difference. Maybe you would, but don't spend anything until you know what you're getting yourself into.

I'll also recommend the M^3, it is a terrific amp. You can build your own if that interests you. A couple more I like are the Gilmore Lite and the Eddie Current EC/SS. I haven't heard the two you mentioned, so no comment.

LMAO

Jan 7, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnostic19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your family and friends get involved in your hi-fi component purchasing decisions? I don't know whether to envy or pity you.
wink_face.gif

Haha, I should have been more specific. I talked to my brother (family), girlfriend and best friend (Friends). No, I didn't involve everyone I know in deciding.

Anyway, I talked to Stephen of Rockhopper Audio, and he said that he should have more M3 coming out in a few weeks, and it is around $375. He is very fast in replying email.

Has anyone ever compared the M3 to the EF1? because the price difference is small, I might go for EF1 if it is indeed better.

I am still researching Headroom, Gilmore Lite, Eddie Current, so I am still indecisive.

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #15 of 15
Yeah, I have read that one, however I am still leaning more toward EF1 and M3. Still looking for review for headroom's micro line and Ray Samuels Audio's XP-7. Currently I am 55% leaning toward EF1 and 45% toward M3. I think its because a lot of the reviews say these two amps have good synergy with D2000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back