Decided on E4C, what about tips?
Apr 11, 2006 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

iamnoone

New Head-Fier
OK, i've now decided that I'd like to get the shure E4c.
I'm probably getting them from earphonesolutions.
I was browsing the accessories section looking at tips. I've been reading that many owners use the foam tips as opposed to the tri flange or flex tips.

I'm wondering if the Comply Tips are the ones they are talking about:
http://www.earphonesolutions.com/cocatiforum2.html

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2006 at 5:54 PM Post #2 of 29
I bought a pack of the Comply tips when I ordered my E4's to give them a shot, because I knew (having used the E3's) that I didn't care much for the stock foamies. The Comply tips are more like earplugs. They are longer than the Shure foamies (I think they also come in a short version), and they have more of a smooth texture. IMO they sound and fit much better.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 29
Everyone's ears are different, so it's hard to generalize. I love the Shure foamies on E4c's. They seem to fit the E4c's better than they did the E3c's. It was always a struggle to slip the foamies all the way onto the tube with the 3's, but the tube on the 4's seems to be just a little shorter, and possibly a smaller diameter.

Apr 11, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 29
I suggest you give the stock tips with the E4c a try first.

Everyone is so different, and you might find one of the tips a good fit for you.

I couldn't use the foamies or the flanges, so I tried the softies and the clear tips. At first, the clear tips bugged me, and I used the softies. I just was never satisfied, so I tried the clear ones again, and lo and behold, they gave a tight seal and were comfortable enough to wear for 2 or more hours before having to give my canals a short breather.

That being said, I want to try the Comply tips, too. Not because the clear tips bug me, but I am always looking for something that might make my E4c's even more enjoyable than they already are.

Apr 11, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #6 of 29
You have to personally try out all of the tips and decide for yourself which ones fit best, sound best, and are most comfortable.

For me, the yellow foamies are the only ones that work. Very easy to use, sound great and are comfy. The down side to foamies is you have to replace them pretty often (dependent of corse upon how much you use them).

Good luck.

Apr 11, 2006 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 29
foamies, foamie, foam.

personal preference, but i feel comfortable wearing 'em for 6-8 hours a day. (probably comfortable longer than that, just never been further than that myself)

Apr 11, 2006 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 29
Personally, foamies provide the best comfort, and about the same SQ as tri/bi-flanges. But they do not hold up their shape forever, and you need to get new pairs, once they wear out. But as others said, you may hate the foamies, and prefer other tips. The E4s provide a huge selection of tips to try, so I doubt you would not be able to find tips that you like. I would then get comply tips to try. IMO, of course.

Apr 11, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #9 of 29
The smallest soft flex sleeves work best for me. They pop right into my ear canal as if they were custom whereas the foamies kind of sit on the outside.

If you are able to make the soft sleeves work I think they may accentuate the highs a little more than foam does.

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #10 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro
The smallest soft flex sleeves work best for me. They pop right into my ear canal as if they were custom whereas the foamies kind of sit on the outside.

If you are able to make the soft sleeves work I think they may accentuate the highs a little more than foam does.

I used to use the smallest soft flex, but then one came off of my E4c and got lodged in my ear. I had to go to the emergency room to get it out...

...i haven't used them since.

Apr 12, 2006 at 12:48 AM Post #11 of 29
The daggers of doom, AKA tri-flanges

Oh boy they scare alot of people!! But once you get use to them or once they've widen your ears (I don't know which) they block out the most sound for me, foamies can be a bit scratchy but they come second to tri-flanges.

Deans top tips!

1. Lube those engines!! Water or spit is basically a requirement to get those tri-flanges in!

2. Wash at the end of each day if you remember to, you don't want an ear infection!
basshead.gif

3. Try all the tips to see which ones are your favourite.

Lastly: Enjoy!!

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 29
The Shure E2C clear silicone tips fit in my ear and seal perfectly with total comfort and the best sound, and I guess I'm lucky because they insert a lot faster than foamies.

I'm even using them now on my Super.fi 5 pros.

Apr 12, 2006 at 1:03 AM Post #13 of 29
Dude, did you really need to go to the ER?
That sucks

And giving myself a wet willie everytime i wanna listen to music sounds fun. LOL.

Any other tips out there I should try besides the ones that come with the cans or the comply?

Thanks

May 24, 2006 at 5:20 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayman2k2
I used to use the smallest soft flex, but then one came off of my E4c and got lodged in my ear. I had to go to the emergency room to get it out...

...i haven't used them since.

Wow! The same thing just happened to me but I was able to pluck it out with a sturdy tweezers. Now I am nervous about using them again as well...mainly because after cleaning them with rubbing alcohol and letting them dry overnight, they seem to slide on and off even EASIER? I don't get it.

The foammies are okay but I swear the soft flex tips bring out the highs just a pinch more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back