Decent Speakers
Jul 18, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #32 of 53
the best speaker set in your price range is most likely the Altec Lansing ATP3. If you can get a good price on them, the altec lansing 621 are also quite good. Most other speakers mentiones are out of your price range, and you've already said that you don't want a set of headphones. So that's what I'd suggest.

Jul 19, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #33 of 53
DLeeWebb, Which Cambrige System were you talking about? There's

Cambridge SoundWorks PCWorks Amplified Multimedia/Computer Speaker System for $40.00

and

Cambridge SoundWorks "SoundWorks" Amplified Multimedia/Computer Speaker System for $69.99

both are retail prices

Those Planars look pretty damn good. If i could find them somewhere besides eBay for under $50.00, I would be a happy man.

The lowest price for the Creative Labs Megaworks 250D's when i froogled it was $134.78 over here

By the way, ooheadsoo, a lot of my mp3's are in lossless, high bit rates. Thats one of the reasons i want a good set of speakers.

Jul 19, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #34 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by sagrr

Cambridge SoundWorks PCWorks Amplified Multimedia/Computer Speaker System for $40.00

and

Cambridge SoundWorks "SoundWorks" Amplified Multimedia/Computer Speaker System for $69.99

both are retail prices

Those Planars look pretty damn good. If i could find them somewhere besides eBay for under $50.00, I would be a happy man.

The lowest price for the Creative Labs Megaworks 250D's when i froogled it was $134.78 over here

By the way, ooheadsoo, a lot of my mp3's are in lossless, high bit rates. Thats one of the reasons i want a good set of speakers.

I personally have the $69 system [X2] and the $149.00 system [X1] and I am extremely pleased with all three of them. Cambridge is great quality, very good value. I'm sure any of their systems will beat anything at that price...

Jul 19, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #38 of 53
MP3s truncate at 17KHz? That's something new - not that I listen to many of them these days ... mostly MPC or APE files for me ...
eggosmile.gif

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

and

both are retail prices

For something closer to $100, I also recommend the Logitech Z-2200. I think you'll be impressed with the build quality and power at this price. Some say the Logitechs are very bass heavy. I say that's not a bad thing in computer speakers for gaming and movies. That said, these probably aren't as bass heavy as the more well-known products in their line. It's a compact system.

And the Cambridge Soundworks models are great as well. But be sure to give these Logitechs at least a look.

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #40 of 53
You guys! I'm looking for a $50.00 speaker system ($75.00 max), and I'll buy a the $24.00 chaintech sound card. For a grand total of $99.00 (max). I cannot afford to pay a single penny more than this.

BTW, why can't I find the Planar Medias ANYWHERE for under $50.00 other than eBay!!?!? and why are people on eBay selling them for under $50.00 when their value goes over $100.00?

Jul 19, 2004 at 10:42 PM Post #41 of 53
their bass is not only exaggerated,but also boomy and detailless.Klipsch promedia ultra have great bass,strong,reaching low,tight,and with defined texture,from what i read.Of course,they cost much more.This
http://www.directdial.com/us/shop/it...d.asp?item=621
is a nice set for the money i believe (have 641 wich supposed to be the same thing only 4.1,and they sound very nice).

Jul 20, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #42 of 53
Quote:

You guys! I'm looking for a $50.00 speaker system ($75.00 max), and I'll buy a the $24.00 chaintech sound card. For a grand total of $99.00 (max). I cannot afford to pay a single penny more than this.

BTW, why can't I find the Planar Medias ANYWHERE for under $50.00 other than eBay!!?!? and why are people on eBay selling them for under $50.00 when their value goes over $100.00?

Because they don't make them anymore, and not many even know about them.

Jul 21, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #43 of 53
Do you need computer speakers or is there any chance you want to get a receiver and some real home bookshelve speakers?

If only computer: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is the best stereo pair out there, IMO. The ProMedia 5.1 is by far the best surround setup, but at that price you could get a really great used stereo setup with real speakers. The z680s are probably the best deal and a close enough second to the 5.1 ProMedia.

Jul 21, 2004 at 9:23 PM Post #44 of 53
Quote:

Kinda funny how most people don't even listen to you.

Anyway, since you're having a tough time finding the Planar Media in your price range, I'll restate that the ATP3 by altec lansing are an amazing value (and can easily be had in the $45-55 range). They don't have quite as much detail as the planar media 9 or 14, but the sub doesn't cross over in the lower mids, which is a plus. They offer almost the same imaging quality and slightly better off-axis performance. (this from having owned PM9's and ATP3's) I'd choose the ATP3's just because they're so much easier to get and I can live with their flaws more easily than the Planar Media series.

As mentioned, if you can find the Altec Lansing 621 in your budget, they'll surprise you and delight you, but it's not likely that you'll find a deal.

As a last option, I'd suggest going to the nearest Circuit City and Best Buy. They sometimes have the EV sonicXS 2.1 on sale for $50. This is a $200(msrp) set of computer speakers produced and designed by a very reputable studio monitor company. They're supposed to be quite good as well, and I'd wager that they're the best you can do in your budget (if you can get them on sale).

Best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back