Decent Speakers
Jul 17, 2004 at 10:28 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alereon
Pick up the Chaintech AV-710, as ooheadsoo recommended. It's only $23.50 at newegg. If you want to stick with what you have, download the kX Drivers, switch to using the rear out port, and get 48khz resampled ASIO output working in whatever media player you use. We can provide detailed instructions for tweaks if you let us know what player you prefer.

Given your price range, I would strongly recommend headphones over speakers. You can get much more quality out of headphones than speakers on a budget. Though generally reviled here, I found the Sennheiser HD-570s to be decent headphones for someone on a budget like yours. I'm sure the rest of the head-fi community will be along shortly to provide other recommendations
smily_headphones1.gif

If you try those same drivers with the same Sound blaster Live! the sound improves considerably (I did it and I still have it (SBL), of course I'm not crazy enough to try to use my computer as a source) I don't know in comparison with the Chaintech how this will sound, (but as I have a very particular personal opinion regarding computers as sources, so I will no go deeper on that)....
Why not trying first the drivers and see if youl ike them, those invert the chanels on the SBL, which supposedly improves the sound, as the rear channels are indeed better....

Jul 17, 2004 at 10:50 PM Post #18 of 53
If that's all the money I had though, I would be interested in those planars.

Jul 17, 2004 at 11:58 PM Post #20 of 53
Why cant you buy off of ebay? What happened is they discontinued the line, but there were still some leftover in areas, and mant reconditioned ones. Mine were apparently reconditioned, but they were guaranteed non-doa, and in good audio condition. They came packaged well and they sound great. I moved up from MM-700s.

Jul 18, 2004 at 5:14 AM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
of course I'm not crazy enough to try to use my computer as a source

Why do you think its crazy?Well,you're entitled to your opinion,but then why even visit Computers-as-Source forum?

Jul 18, 2004 at 6:28 AM Post #26 of 53
The z640's couldnt be worse for music. They are all bass and nothing else. Even at completely musted bass they are still all bass. I can barely listen to music on mine, sometimes i ahve to while im cleaning and stuff, and they are just atrocious they murder the music.

Jul 18, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #28 of 53
I'd suggest the Creative Labs Megaworks 250D aka Cambridge Soundworks 210D. It's a 2.1 system that offers a more balanced sound than the Klipsch.

Jul 18, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #30 of 53
Do you listen to mp3s?
tongue.gif
MP3 truncates at 17khz. There's almost no musical information up there and many people can't hear that high. That's one of the things about full range drivers I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back