Decent DAC around $100 or less?
Oct 9, 2019 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

TeaLyPeeLy

New Head-Fier
Most DACs are like really expensive, but I don't really care if I'm not getting 100% quality. 90% is good enough for me, so is there a cheap DAC I can get? Honestly, the cheaper the better because I'm just putting together a temporary setup then eventually I'll get a super high end one.

Oct 9, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 18
I use the Khadas tone board and it retails at 99 USD usually. Cheaper during sales (there's a big sale on aliexpress coming on 11/11!).
It does open up the dynamics and soundstage and details for my music.

You can check out this link for some head to head comparisons for DACs: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ad-distortion-comparison-graph-for-dacs.4814/
Khadas tone board ranks quite high here, and I can't complain much for the pricing.

The only thing is the Khadas tone board comes usually as a naked board (which doesn't pick up any electronic interferance despite being used next to my desktop). But I paid about 13 bucks to get a acrylic case made for it, to look asthetically better.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #4 of 18
Oct 9, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 18
I have a Topping D30 for my office setup. It's been a great dac for me. Has multiple inputs and can do DSD if that's your thing. $120 new, but can be found for $90 - $100 used.

Oct 9, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #8 of 18
The Topping DX3 Pro and Xduoo XD-05 are both DAC/amp
Everything in one little unit.

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:18 AM Post #10 of 18
If I have a Behringer UMC22 audio interface, will that be good enough until I can afford a really good DAC (assuming I connect using RCA cables from the outputs on the back and NOT use the direct monitors)?

Oct 10, 2019 at 12:55 AM Post #11 of 18
I also recommend the Khadas Tone Board. Its measurements beat most other DACs, including everything made by Schiit I believe. If you paired that with the Atom, you'd never need to upgrade.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 18
If I have a Behringer UMC22 audio interface, will that be good enough until I can afford a really good DAC (assuming I connect using RCA cables from the outputs on the back and NOT use the direct monitors)?
The Behringer UMC22 audio interface, one of it's features is that it's is a "cheap DAC".

Oct 10, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #15 of 18
How much worse is it than like a $100 DAC.
Because it's an Audio Interface, it might have a more neutral (boring) type sound.
As an Audio Interface is more about analyzing the sound, then audio enjoyment.
Where as a higher priced DAC might offer a more lively and more full spectrum sound.

Just get the HD600 and Atom for now.
I would assume cables with a 1/4" TS to RCA connects would connect the UMC22 to the Atom.
Like the Hosa CPR-201 cables
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CPR201--hosa-cpr201-1-meter

I do not see you having to decide right away on what your willing to budget for a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back