Decent Amp for DT990/600 on a budget.
Jan 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

netbususer

100+ Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

I currently have been using my Sennheiser HD-598's for a while now and last night decided to purchase the Beyerdynamic DT990/600 Ohm model. I have now read about various amplifiers for hours and seem (almost) just as lost as before and I thought I may be able to get some direct help on the matter.

RI will mainly be listening to these headphones through my iMac or my PC. I currently do not have a DAC but that will be a purchase to be made in about a month. Right now, I am looking for a good amp that will drive these 600 ohm cans properly and I am looking at a HARD price cap at $300. (Less is obviously preferred....)

So far, I've been looking at the Fiio E-9, Schiit Asgard/Valhalla, and the Little Dot MKIII/MKIV but I am open to ALL suggestions within my price range

Thank you all for your time and I look forward to powering these headphones with a great amp soon! :)

Jan 22, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 15
Considering the Matrix M - Stage Amp at the moment as well. Really looking forward to any recommendations within the price range or of the products listed above.

Jan 26, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #3 of 15
Anyone have any suggestions...?

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 15
those are all solid choices.
id throw in a DarkVoice or La Figaro 336.  same amp just different name i think.  the 990s like tubes

i'd consider a vintage receiver as well.
i read this thread and then dug out my 990/600s and played them through my yamaha and pioneer.
both power them nicely.
a marantz would do the trick as well.
the only caveat with a receiver is they almost all have a high output impedance and you might miss a little tiny bit of detail compared to the schiit.  but you might not.  and for the output impedance, it wont be a big deal with those beyers due to 600 ohms
with my cans the output impedance on the receivers is less of an obvious issue than it is on my Woo.
sure the woo sounds better with high imp cans like the beyers or some senns.  but on lower impedance headphones the issue becomes clear much more quickly on the woo.  The receivers just seem to handle the impedance missmatch noticably better

plus you could then get some speakers and play them through your amp and future dac as well.

to edit one more time, i'd suggest a marantz or pioneer with the 990s.  they will most likely have better synergy than a yamaha would.  yams house sound can be a tad bright sometimes and is more sterile (but detailed and flat imo) than the other two.  the marantz is warm and fat bottomed and the pioneers are just smooth and musical.  granted this is just to my ears.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:36 PM Post #5 of 15
The m-stage is a very good option.

So is the Sheer Audio HA-006+ (Dynalo)
http://www.acoustic-fun.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=62

Both are well designed, clean and powerful circuits that can handle the wide range between the 598 and the 990/600. I think you would be well served with either one.

Tube amps are fun, but less flexible (at this price range) and if you only have one amp, I think going with a solid state like these is the best route - you can always add on later, but these will be able to handle 98% of what's out there quite easily.

Since you do not already have a DAC, and intend to use your computer as a source, I would seriously think about the M-stage with the USB dac built in. It adds $30 to the price, but gives you a broader range of capabilities for this very fine amplifier. ($280 + shipping)
http://tamaudio.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&manufacturer_id=11&product_id=108

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the suggestions so far!

I think I've narrowed my search to the MK III, Dark Voice 336, or the M-Stage Matrix.

I know the tubes for the first two can add to the price quite a bit, but my budget can increase as necessary provided that there is a true and cost effective benefit to the expense. @liamstrain You stated that tube amps are fun but less flexible. Can you elaborate on this further?

I'm hoping this amp will last me quite a while and through some upgraditis. :p (Already thinking about HD-800/T1's :p)

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 15
Tube amps in the under $300 range are almost exclusively OTL amp designs (output transformer-less). This means that they have relatively high gain, and high output impedances. This is not a problem for the 990/600. But it limits their ability to work well with lower impedance or higher sensitivity headphones (like the 598) since you will end up with less electrical damping (which can muddy and boom the bass), and also require you to keep the volume knob turned way down (which is usually where any channel imbalances will appear). 

Solid state amps give you more flexibility to use different headphone impedances with one amp.

There are tube amps that allow this as well, but transformer coupled amps tend to be a bit more expensive, even in DIY form (the Beezar Torpedo is the only one I can think of that is in your price range). 

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #8 of 15
Ah! That makes sense.

Tbh, the HD598 are practically speakers on my mac and I don't intend to really use them with an amp. Would an OTL amp be too much for headphones with 300 ohm impedance? If you could tell me or link me to information on calculating output impedance and other information that I'll need to know in the long run, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks again for all of the information!

P.s. Do you have any recommendations regarding RCA to 3.5mm cables that hold quality?

Jan 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #9 of 15
Many amp manufacturers don't publish output impedance numbers, so it can be hard to know for sure, but (depending on sensitivity as well) 300 ohms should be enough at least from a damping point of view. 

The general guideline is the rule of 8. You want your output impedance and the headphone impedance to be at least 8 times different. e.g. Output impedance = 10ohm, you would want headphone = 80ohm. Most (but not all) SS amps have output impedances down below 2 or 3 (and many are below 1) ... With OTL Tube amps, alot depends on the specific circuit design - for instance, the Futterman circuit with 6C33C-B tubes usually puts out about 25 ohms (so you would want 200 ohm or higher headphones), but there are many others, some higher, some lower. 

Honestly, I like monoprice for well made, inexpensive cables. Blue Jean cables are also quite good value going the higher end route (without getting silly - the BJC MSA-1 3.5 to RCA should run you $30 or so depending on length). I personally usually go with DIY, and build something myself.

Jan 27, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for the information. I'm also looking at the Schiit Valhalla or Lyr. (I know they are both out of the price range I listed above, but I really like what I'm seeing! :p)

Jan 27, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #11 of 15
I've been in a similar predicament myself, and I just made my choice:

I decided to go with a Little Dot MK III to pair with my new DT 880 (600 Ohms). I've only had the amp for a few days and am in the middle of burning everything in for the first time, but it sounds better and better every time I come home from work.

I am extremely impressed with the look, sound, and build quality of the Little Dot amp. I expect to enjoy it for the next several years.

Still on the hunt for a DAC though...

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:49 AM Post #12 of 15
good choice on the amp.

the beyers do need a good amount of juice and otl tube amps are definitely what the dt 990 needs 
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 15
+1 on monoprice premium cables

Also, you might call me a fan boy, but with blind testing, me and others couldn't tell the difference between an m stage and an objective 2.. I think that speaks well for both the amps, better for the o2, seeing as it's cheaper and much smaller. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 15
I think I may go for the Valhalla unless anyone has any reasons to recommend against it or has a better recommendation...

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #15 of 15
I run my 990s off my Asgard.  It's a good combo.  However, despite the 990s being open, their sound stage isn't all that impressive.  My HD600s have a larger sound stage.  Many people have said the Asgard has a wider sound stage than the Valhalla.  So, if you value sound stage highly, consider the Asgard over the Valhalla.  Plus, the 990s lean to the bright side, and so does the Valhalla despite being tubes.  The Asgard is quite smooth and pairs well with the 990s.

Just something to consider.  You can't go wrong either way, but I wanted you to have the most information possible before pulling the trigger.

Quote:
I think I may go for the Valhalla unless anyone has any reasons to recommend against it or has a better recommendation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back