Deathmatch: Innerfidelity vs. Headfonia
Sep 30, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #46 of 102
I've never heard the 940, but I'm not too sure about its sensitivity to head positioning.  Look at this graph of the 940, the lower gray lines of the FR chart are uncompensated and 5 different positions.  As you can see, the treble doesn't change that much at all.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #47 of 102
Quote:
He hated the srh940 and prefers the srh840.
Regarding the treble spike this can  be tamed by playing headphone position on head, or increasing depth of ear cups (using rope or whatever).

probably why the SRH840 is more popular around here,however the detail on my friend's SRH940 that i tried absolutely thrashed my own pair of HD558, had me jelous for a second....until the bass kicked in (what bass? oh right there is no bass on the Shures)

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:09 AM Post #49 of 102
Quote:
I've never heard the 940, but I'm not too sure about its sensitivity to head positioning.  Look at this graph of the 940, the lower gray lines of the FR chart are uncompensated and 5 different positions.  As you can see, the treble doesn't change that much at all.

Well, the treble is definitely less aggressive to me. If it doesn't have an impact on frequency response, it must have an impact elsewhere,
because I  know when it sounds painful (over-emphasized transients)  . At least it confirm that you get more bass too, point I  was defending too.
Hey there's a difference is at least of  5 db  below 100 hz, that's definitely more bass depending of the position.

Oct 1, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #51 of 102
The answer would be innerfidelity

Oct 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #52 of 102
The only problem with Headfonia is that they really only like Sennheisers, which works for me since I do too. "Well.....it doesn't have the warmth of the HD650 or the smoothness of the HD600, but it's alright."

On the flip side, Tyll at Innerfidelity seems to like everything, which makes it appear he is paid. "Well.....it has 100 flaws, but it's my go to headphone and highly recommended."

Joking aside, I like any site that tries to give good reviews and recommendations, which both sites do. Versus the fourm here, ZOMG! THE M50 S**TS OUT HD800s AND FLUSHES THEM DOWN THE TOILET!!!! 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #53 of 102
I don't really trust headphonia. To be honest it's a bit hard to trust any of the review sites in general as I'm always curious if they have incentives to hype products. But I do trust inner-fidelity much more to be honest. I personally will only give an item a heads up if I feel it is a good product. If I feel it has flaws I have no qualms with disclosing those flaws.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #54 of 102
Gotta love Tyll, although i have to agree with the CNET people. Stever Guttenberg know his **** and has some awesome reads.

Oct 1, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #55 of 102
Quote:
I've given up on innerfidelity after all the negative remarks about Grado.

Tyll uses science.  I use my ears.

I like Tyll, but he and I have such diametrically opposed preferences that I just can't find much value there. The Grado thing is a big part of it, but he also really lost me with his whole "Philips Citiscape Downtowns are on my Wall of Fame"...I bought a pair for my lady friend and I find them completely unremarkable. They are comfortable....that's about it. The only headphone he and I have ever both loved was the Beyer DT1350. Aside from that, as much as I enjoy reading his takes, his recommendations are just not to my liking. 

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #56 of 102
headfonia stated that the K1000 has drivers so old that they have poorer layering than most of today's mid fi open headphones although soundstage is very far, anyone can give opinions and comments about that?

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #57 of 102
headfonia stated that the K1000 has drivers so old that they have poorer layering than most of today's mid fi open headphones although soundstage is very far, anyone can give opinions and comments about that?
ROTFL. Congrats on the equipment they tried them with. Layering IMHO is the field where no today's headphone might equal with the K1000 but each component of the system must be of decent quality, including interconnects.

It was one of the reasons why I rate Headphonia so low. Thanks for reminding.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #58 of 102
They even deleted my comments regarding the DX100. Seems like since they have to pay to demo the unit they are not happy with ibasso. They want their free hand outs. Someone was trolling saying everyone prefers the Hifiman 801 to it when that is totally false. Not everyone loves rolled off treble and a requirement to buy a game amp to be able to use it as a portable DAP.

Oct 1, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #59 of 102
Headfonia's layout is cluttered. Categories overlap and you find yourself using the search engine rather than just browsing in a natural way like on Tyll's site. I'm a web developer so messy redundant interface design drives me insane.

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:04 AM Post #60 of 102
Headfonia has more reviews more often.

Not too keen on the lack of updates from Inner Fidelity lately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back