We'll forget you mentioned it, if you nicely move along
wink.gif
. Seriously, scram.

You could play a little game, it's called eat my ****
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #167 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by caek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It wouldn't be an extreme metal thread without a little elitism, right?
wink.gif

Why is one always considered elite simply because they are in the minority? I'm sure Slipknot has a million times bigger fanbase than, say, Prostitute Disfigurement, right? So, what makes me the elite, as opposed to the guy who likes Slipknot? If you can explain that one to me, I'll definitely kiss some ass. To quote Shakespeare, "Methinks thou doth protest too much."

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #168 of 650
eh, my guess is that most people that are in this thread probably don't like slipknot because they have somewhat of a death metal image but are not "true" death metal. So I'm guessing he's talking elitist in the matter of people that care about genres like you. Anyway, if you read the first page it says to bring all metal heads together er sumin like that (I'm too lazy to look.)

No need to get all pouty by whippin out the shakespeare quotes there Mr. fat ****

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:35 AM Post #169 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why is one always considered elite simply because they are in the minority? I'm sure Slipknot has a million times bigger fanbase than, say, Prostitute Disfigurement, right? So, what makes me the elite, as opposed to the guy who likes Slipknot? If you can explain that one to me, I'll definitely kiss some ass. To quote Shakespeare, "Methinks thou doth protest too much."

My experience (including personally
tongue.gif
) is that the person in the minority is the more elitist. It comes from the pride of not following the rabble and listening to mainstream because it's what we're force fed, but instead being discerning and seeking out music that satisfies.

Jun 5, 2008 at 2:11 PM Post #171 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by thornygravy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh, my guess is that most people that are in this thread probably don't like slipknot because they have somewhat of a death metal image but are not "true" death metal. So I'm guessing he's talking elitist in the matter of people that care about genres like you. Anyway, if you read the first page it says to bring all metal heads together er sumin like that (I'm too lazy to look.)

No need to get all pouty by whippin out the shakespeare quotes there Mr. fat ****

It isnt about loaned deathmetally image, but we feel that numetal has destroyed the image of metal with its comercial and catchy pop-like feel and teen angst. Its very watered down version of metal IMO. Bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are pretty much considered equal to Britney Spears amongst us. They are more products, not bands.

Slipknot isnt that bad though, I give you that. They are one of the few numetal acts that are pretty consistent and dont give me hiccups whenever I hear them somewhere. And their drummer is also pretty good, I like his work. If my opinion would weight anything, you are welcome to stay. Read the thread, read the impressions and listen the bands mentioned here and perhaps you find something you like!

Quote:

It wouldn't be an extreme metal thread without a little elitism, right?

Heh, very true.
tongue.gif

*edit* typo fix

Jun 5, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #172 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaZa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It isnt about loaned deathmetally image, but we feel that numetal has destroyed the image of metal with its comercial and catchy pop-like feel and teen angst. Its very watered down version of metal IMO. Bands like Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit are pretty much considered equal to Britney Spears amongst us. They are more products, not bands.

Slipknot isnt that bad though, I give you that. They are one of the few numetal acts that are pretty consistent dont give me hiccups whenever I hear them somewhere. And their drummer is also pretty good, I like his work. If my opinion would weight anything, you are welcome to stay. Read the thread, read the impressions and listen the bands mentioned here and perhaps you find something you like!

Heh, very true.
tongue.gif

thanks
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #173 of 650
I dont like Slipknot at all...sorry, just my opinion. Its just noise, there is hardly any song writing going on, all they want to do is get on stage and jump around. I also don't see why they have so many members in the band, I cant tell from the music at all what so many ppl are needed for.

But the drummer is awesome, (and his signature snare drum is one of my favourites). But I really tried to get into this band for his sake and I just don't seem to like any of their songs even if I give them multiple chances. Limp Bizkit atleast had some lyrics you can laugh at. Linkin' Park...don't even get me started on those guys.

Jun 5, 2008 at 6:12 PM Post #174 of 650
It's an acquired taste I sapose, having so many people means so many layers, it's pretty cool hearing 3 sets of drums sounding off at the same time. Definitely agree with you on linkin park tho, terrible terrible band.

Jun 5, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #176 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Darek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is dimmu borgir counted as death metal ?

No. Their music ranges from melodic blackmetal to pseudo-blackmetal. So no, they arent deathmetal. But they still belong to extreme side of metal. Both Black and Death Metal and their subgenres (and mixtures/crossovers) are what this thread is mostly about.

Jun 5, 2008 at 9:11 PM Post #177 of 650
Jun 6, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #179 of 650
I remember going to see Atheist, Gorguts and Cannibal Corpse back in.. oh 1994 or something at the Agora in Cleveland. Quite a show. I also saw Entombed and the Obsessed (with Wino) around that time. I didn't quite know who the Obsessed were at that point... I just remember realizing that it was the guy from St. Vitus. They rocked. I also caught a Carcass/Napalm Death show sometime in 1995 or so.. after HEARTWORK came out. I wasn't as interested in them at that point.. the songs were getting too long..
biggrin.gif

-Mason

Jun 6, 2008 at 1:28 AM Post #180 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this helps anyone figure out the genres, here's some prototypical bands in several genres (links are to MySpace pages):

Death Metal:
Prostitute Disfigurement

Technical Death Metal
Gorod

"True" Black Metal
Burzum

Thrash
3 Inches of Blood (especially "Goatriders Horde")

Doom Metal
Worship
disEmbowelment

Stoner
Sleep

Any questions?

Um, 3iob is not thrash. For thrash, I'd say stuff like Heathen, Exodus, Kreator, Coroner, etc.

And Prostitute Disfigurement isn't really straight up death metal, for that I'd recommend Morbid Angel.

Also guys, I scored this

PHLEBOTOMIZED Immense Intense... 1994 CD cynic atheist - eBay (item 280232818771 end time Jun-03-08 17:13:54 PDT)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back