Death Metal Discussion
May 24, 2008 at 12:34 PM Post #136 of 650
I heard Sadus for the first time the other day. Great thrash/proto-death band. The bassist Steve DiGiorgio also played in a bunch of other metal bands, including Death, Autospy, and Testament. Highly recommend checking out the albums Chemical Exposure (1988) and Swallowed in Black (1990). I don't think the more recent stuff is as good.

May 24, 2008 at 3:31 PM Post #137 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Picked up Septic Flesh's - Communion album. Some awesome stuff. Clear yet thick production. One of my favorite releases of this year so far.

Just ordered that myself..............I have been patiently waiting for The End to stock it and gave up on them and ordered at Amazon.
Also waiting for stocking of new Kalmah......

Darkest Desires parts 1-5 is all about groups like Septic Flesh, I love it!

EZ
I have no Sadus, but have all those others Death, Autospy (from EZ), and Testament

May 24, 2008 at 5:02 PM Post #138 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just ordered that myself..............I have been

EZ
I have no Sadus, but have all those others Death, Autospy (from EZ), and Testament

Notice we both mispelled Autopsy? Must be a case of contagious dyslexia.
biggrin.gif

May 24, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #139 of 650
Dethklok is about as far as I can venture into that genre of music. And although I know they are parodying Death metal, the musicianship is out of this world, and the lyrics are hilarious. The double CD is a hoot to listen to.

I have tried several times to listen to "real" death metal bands before, but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't keep a straight face once the vocals kick in and I read the lyrics. However I must admit that some of those bands have absolutely amazing musicians in them (example: Necrophagist), but I just can't get over the vocals and lyrical content, no matter how hard I try...

At any rate, Denon D5000s are my go to cans for any type of loud and bombastic music, such as metal - Death or otherwise. Before I met the D5000s, it would have definitely been the Grado PS-1s.

May 24, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #140 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have tried several times to listen to "real" death metal bands before, but no matter how hard I tried, I just couldn't keep a straight face once the vocals kick in and I read the lyrics. However I must admit that some of those bands have absolutely amazing musicians in them (example: Necrophagist), but I just can't get over the vocals and lyrical content, no matter how hard I try...

I never take the lyrics seriously, and I think most of the bands don't either. It's all good fun. Just know that you're in on the joke, and you can go about enjoying great music.

May 24, 2008 at 8:03 PM Post #141 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never take the lyrics seriously, and I think most of the bands don't either. It's all good fun. Just know that you're in on the joke, and you can go about enjoying great music.

Read lyrics.......ha ha, who has time for that
confused.gif

Must multi task while listening to music:
watch tv muted, listen to music, use computer all at the same time

May 24, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #142 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by ezkcdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ditto. Though there are DM bands with really good lyrics (that obviously still fit in the music), but mostly its just part of the atmosphere and especially on nowadays death metal.

May 25, 2008 at 8:33 AM Post #143 of 650
Quote:

Originally Posted by lmilhan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Lots of death metal has great lyrics. Btw, muhammad is the driving force behind necrophagist, so you should be saying musician (even though his music is just technical wankery in my opinion).

May 27, 2008 at 3:19 PM Post #145 of 650
Anyone still listen to Testament

They are still cranking out some quality stuff 20 years after debut, will probably have to pick up new album:
The Formation of Damnation
What I hear sounds pretty good, original line-up is back except drummer is Paul Bostaph of Slayer

Chuck Billy \m/

May 28, 2008 at 4:16 AM Post #149 of 650
Its basic Thrash. No highlights, no real downfalls, overall quality is pretty average and uninspiring. I guess Testament is taking it easy after so long time since last album.

May 29, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #150 of 650
After reading through this thread I decided to take a chance and get Septic Flesh - Communion and I must say I am loving what I am hearing. This is quite fantastic.

There is no way in hell I wouldve found this album had it not been for this thread, keep it going guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back