Deal Alert - Ultimate Ears 700s for $70
Aug 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #77 of 99
They must have been swamped with orders. I ordered a pair on the 28th and finally got shipping confirmation today.

I would have figured that these would weigh a lot less, considering they're miniature IEM's
eek.gif

Aug 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #78 of 99
Did you order like 100? lol.

Aug 6, 2010 at 4:00 AM Post #80 of 99
My package (ordered at the UK website), was confirmed same day and shipped the following.
Shipping weight 0.2 kg. :)

But would sound as if you are either receiving a brick or 100 pairs. (Crossed fingers for the 100)

Aug 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #81 of 99
I got my shipment confirmation mail yesterday. Finally! And they only weigh 0.4 Lb. :)

@8xOverMsOctober - I'd really like to know what you receive in your shipment. :)

Btw, can someone who has already got it give some information about how it sounds. I currently own a Shure SE115 and I am used to their sound. I kind of like it too.

Do UE700s have a very neutral sound signature like the etymotics. Or, do they have a dynamic sound signature. Preferably a little warm and laid back sound?

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #82 of 99
In my view they are not as neutral as Shure (have SE210 and SE530).

In my view (and this is purely my thougts on it, and I am no expert! :)):

They have more bass than Shure, giving it a bit more deep sound.
The mids are a bit more analytical than Shure, I certainly prefer the Shures.
The highs are almost to much for me, e.g. the hi-hat is to clear.

I find them a fun pair of headphones to keep as they truely displays how different sound signatures there is out there.

Comparing them to SE110/115 I wouldnt be surprised if you prefer the UE700.
Please post your verdict once you have tried them.

Quote:
Btw, can someone who has already got it give some information about how it sounds. I currently own a Shure SE115 and I am used to their sound. I kind of like it too.

Do UE700s have a very neutral sound signature like the etymotics. Or, do they have a dynamic sound signature. Preferably a little warm and laid back sound?

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #83 of 99
Mine came yesterday! 

I'm very impressed! For 74 dollars they are great. For 200, they are still good, but I would have a hard time spending that much for iems.

I have bought and returned the shure se110 and 210, and listened to the e3c. and I didn't like the Shure sound at all. I found it overly warm, bloated and muddy. But this must be a personal preference, since Banko thinks the ultimate ears sound analytical. 
smile_phones.gif

Before I had the ultimate ears super.fi 3 studio's and I chose those over the SE210's. But the UE700's are another level above the super.fi 3's. I was pleased to find that the way they sound is similar to the super.fi 3's though. 

Aug 8, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #84 of 99
@Banko, @Physh - Thank you guys for you views.

My UE700s are being delivered on this Tuesday. I will post my impressions immediately after I get them. 

This is not the first place where I read about UE's harsh highs. I don't mind exaggerated highs if they are detailed. How are the highs on UE700?

I preferred the Super.fi 4's sound to SE115. But the only issue is that the bass was too weak; I had to EQ (which I don't like). I hope that the Comply foam tips increase the bass impact and reduce the harshness a bit, so that I don't have to EQ.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #85 of 99
I got my shipment yesterday. The order was right, only the weight shown on the package and tracking info was wrong. It said 61 pounds on the package, like it did in the tracking info.

These were an anniversary present for my wife, but I got to listen to them for about 15 minutes last night - after my wife listened to them for about 10 minutes. We both loved them.

Just a quick impression from listening to them for such a short period of time:
The highs and mids are very nice on these. The music was not veiled at all while listening. It was very clear and enjoyable. There was no hint of sibilance or harshness with these. The mids don't seem to be recessed on these at all (the highs either), so my music sounded full and fairly fun. Male and female singers sounded great on these. The highs and mids didn't sound like they were forward on these either, so these are not right in your face either.

The bass was nice. There was more bass than I expected there to be from other impressions that I have read. Still, it's not a ton of bass, but the mids make up for it. The bass that it has though is clear and punchy, and doesn't get in the way of the great mids on these IEMs. Even with the bass at +3 on my Rockboxed Sansa c250 that I tried them out on last night (no amp used) the bass was still great on these. There wasn't a huge increase in bass quantity with the bass at +3, but it gave them a nice boost and added to the fun factor a bit. My Custom 3's have a ton more bass than these, but the C3's also seem a little veiled to me. Still, these probably wouldn't suit a basshead.

As for their design, I really liked how small they are. The ends of these, when inserted with medium Sony Hybrids, were just about flush with the outside of the parts of my ear right near my ear canal. I thought that was great. The cables on these are semi-rubbery and very flexible. I doubt that there would be a problem with microphonics with these, but then again I didn't do any running around or jumping jacks with these last night around 11:00 PM
etysmile.gif
My only concern with these would be that there isn't really a proper strain relief on the plug of these. The cable just comes out of the plastic on the straight plug. I can see the cable failing at the plug before anything else goes wrong with these. Well, I could see the cable failing at the IEM's if you pull these out of your ear by the cable. There isn't much of a strain relief at the IEM housing on these. And these things are so small and the housing goes so far into my ears that it's hard to grab the housing to pull these out.

One more thing to add: these seem to be fairly forgiving for poorly recorded/mastered tracks. I listened to one song that I know doesn't sound very good on my Custom 3's (they aren't very forgiving with track quality) and it sounded spectacular on the 700's. After I heard that track I really wanted to keep listening to them for a while longer, but I had to give them back to my wife.

A quick note on the highs with sibilance: I tried these out with rock/alternative music and, like I said before, didn't get any sibilance. I didn't get a chance to test them with any music that I know to be very sibilant, so take the sibilance comments with a grain of salt. I'll try to listen to them again, if I get the chance, with something that's known to be quite sibilant and see how they do with it.

If these are ever on sale for $70 again I'm definitely going to pick up a pair for myself to have as a backup for the DBA-02's that I have back-ordered, provided that I like the DBA-02's.

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #86 of 99
I wouldn't count on them going on sale again anytime soon. It was more of a facebook promotion than anything.

Aug 11, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #87 of 99
Nice review 8xOverMsOctober.

I received my pair on Tuesday. Here goes my first impressions.

Look:
After all the review that I ready about how tiny they look, I was still surprised looking at the size of this. They were very small, and they fit perfectly. I use the comply foam tips that come with these. The cable is indeed too thin, and doesn't seem durable.

Sound:
This was the next shocker. I cannot believe how such tiny earphones could deliver such full and rich sound. The lows, mids and highs were just perfect. The bass is just amazing in terms of quality and quantity. The highs are never harsh. Very textured. Overall, the sound is very smooth. They never distort (if its a good recording, bad recordings sound all the more crappy). Another good thing is that they perform very well with all types of music. I primary listen to a lot of rock, (a little bit of) hip-hop and bollywood songs.

Bottom line:
I would have told that they have a terrific sound, if I had bought them for $180. Having got them for $70, I have no words.

Aug 11, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #88 of 99
I just got a brand new in box pair of these for $50 bucks on craigslist. I'm really looking forward to them. I needed something that i didn't have to worry about leaving in my school bag at college. I have a pair of triple fi's that are molded into customs, but i just get worried about them getting taken or something. That and they are useless for the gym. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back